Since last November 6’s election that gave control of Virginia’s entire state government to Democrats, led by pro-abort Gov. Ralph Northam (D), Democrats have been on a tear to impose gun control. See:
- Elections have consequences: ‘Blue’ Virginia goes whole hog for gun control
- ‘Blue’ Virginia State Senate bill to confiscate ‘assault firearms’
- ‘Blue’ Virginia senate bill to ban firearm and martial arts instruction
In response is a massive backlash by Virginia gun owners:
- Local officials have issued pro-Second Amendment statements vowing to protect citizens’ gun rights against state authorities.
- Cities and counties are forming militias and sanctuaries (see “Virginians are forming sanctuaries and militias against the anticipated gun grab“). As of January 14, 2020, 130 counties and cities have passed sanctuary measures.
- Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL), a grassroots gun-rights organization, called for a rally next Monday, January 20, at the state capitol in Richmond, to lobby VA legislators not to vote away Virginians’ Second Amendment-guaranteed gun rights. VCDL President Phillip Van Cleave told Liberty Nation “the state is green with sanctuaries” and that he expects a massive turnout.
Monday, January 20, is Martin Luther King Jr. Day — a day known as “Lobby day” in Virginia politics as advocates for a number of causes use the holiday to try and buttonhole lawmakers. On that day, pro-gun and gun-control advocates would hold rallies. Jeff Katz, the host of a popular radio show on WRVA, said thousands of citizens are expected at the gun-rights rally next Monday because “People are outraged. This is the tipping point.”
Reacting to the planned rally, Governor Northam declared a state of emergency banning guns and “weapons of all kinds” from the state capitol beginning tomorrow, January 17, through next Tuesday, January 21.
The Associated Press reports that on Jan. 15, 2020, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency over threats of “armed militia groups storming our Capitol” ahead of a gun-rights rally next Monday. The emergency order will ban weapons of all kinds, including firearms, helmets and shields, from the Capitol grounds starting Friday and continuing through Tuesday.
Northam said the emergency order was necessary to protect public safety because of potential violence from out-of-state groups at the Monday rally. Claiming that “law enforcement agencies” consider the rally to pose “credible, serious threats,” Northam said some of the rhetoric used by groups planning to attend Monday’s rally is similar to what was said in the lead-up to last year’s so-called “white nationalist” rally in Charlottesville, VA, and that “We will not allow that mayhem and violence to happen here.”
Virginia Republicans, who did not even field candidates in many precincts in last November’s election, thereby ceding victory to the Democrats, were mixed in their response:
- VA House Minority Leader Del. Todd Gilbert lamented that “there are legitimate concerns of a few bad actors hijacking the rally.”
- But Republican Party of Virginia Chairman Jack Wilson condemned Northam’s declaration in a statement: “Northam and the rest of the Virginia Democrats have made their session goal crystal clear: a disarmed, vulnerable, and subservient citizenry.”
Northam’s emergency announcement comes days after Democratic leaders used a special rules committee to ban guns inside the Capitol and a legislative office building. That ban did not include Capitol grounds, which are under the governor’s control.
InfoWars has an audio recording of an unnamed Virginia State police officer saying that Barack Obama is orchestrating (“running”) Northam’s state of emergency, and that “there are people in high places in [VA] government” who are “told to do…ignore Trump, pipe down, and the people are just scared and just frustrated.”
On the Todd Starnes radio show, Liberty University president, Jerry Falwell Jr. vows he will “call for civil disobedience if the Democrats go through with this [state of emergency]. You don’t mess with people’s guns in this part of the state. They [Democrats] don’t know what they’ve gotten into and they’re going to find out the hard way, I’m afraid.”
- The liberal logic of Gov. “Coonman” Northam
- Virginia Democrat bill will eliminate suburban single-family housing zones