Every day, we get news of yet another horror perpetrated in America — of yet another murder in the crime-ridden streets of a nearby city, of senseless acts like an argument in a New York subway station escalating to the pushing and death of a family man under an oncoming train….
America is no longer a country we recognize.
Yesterday, a new unimaginably EVIL horror was perpetrated in an elementary school in prosperous Newtown, Connecticut.
A young man first killed his mother, then drove in her car to Sandy Hook Elementary School. Calmly, without saying a word, he shot to death 20 little children and 6 adults.
Sandy Hook now has the distinction of being the second worst school shooting in U.S. history — second in the number of victims only to the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre, which left 33 people dead, including the gunman.
Before we even found out the name of the mass murderer, the usual voices on the Left already had started making political haystack out of this latest evil with their usual denunciations of private gun ownership and their usual calls for gun control. To them, I have this question:
“China has had a rash of incidents of lone men going into schools and killing and wounding little children — with a knife. The most recent incident took place just a day before the Sandy Hook massacre. Should America also ban the private ownership of kitchen knives?”
And predictably, the usual Leftist trolls came onto this blog, Fellowship of the Minds, to spew their hateful and very confused accusation, such as this gem by Tmaz123:
“Gun control need to be reviewed. No one needs an assault rifle. The blood of these innocent children are on your hands. Hope you are all happy.”
To Tmaz123 and her ilk, I say:
“No, neither guns nor gun owners are responsible for the Sandy Hook killings. The person who is responsible, who has blood on his hands, is the killer himself — and his parents.”
This is what we know about the Sandy Hook mass murderer, thus far:
- He is Adam Lanza, age 20.
- He lived with his mother, Nancy, in a well-to-do part of prosperous Newtown, a picturesque New England community of 27,000 people about 60 miles northeast of New York City. The Lanzas’ neighbors are doctors or hold white-collar positions at companies such as General Electric, Pepsi and IBM.
- Adam Lanza’s parents, Peter and Nancy, had filed for divorce in 2008. Peter Lanza remarried and lives in Stamford, Conn.; works as a tax director for General Electric; and found out about his son’s murderous rampage from a reporter. ABC News says Nancy was a kindergarten teacher. The AP says at least one Sandy Hook parent said Nancy Lanza mother was a substitute teacher there, but her name did not appear on a staff list. Police official said investigators were unable to establish any connection so far between her and the elementary school.
- Adam has an older brother, 24-year-old Ryan, whom some reports had initially but mistakenly identified to be the killer. Ryan Lanza lives in Hoboken, N.J., and was at work when his brother committed the massacre. Law enforcement officials said they had questioned Ryan and do not believe him to have been involved in the shootings at Sandy Hook. Ryan told police he had not been in touch with his younger brother since about 2010.
- Police first said they don’t have a motive for the killer, Adam Lanza, but later indicated they do have evidence for a motive although they refuse to say what it is. Investigators believe Adam had attended Sandy Hook several years ago but appeared to have no recent connection to the school. Daily Mail reports that Adam had “fought with” four Sandy Hook teachers the day before. He killed 3 of the 4 teachers; a fourth teacher wasn’t at the school that horrible day.
- Adam Lanza was highly intelligent. People who knew him describe him as “brilliant but remote.” He was an honor roll student at Newtown High School, but was living at home instead of attending college or working at a job.
- Adam Lanza showed signs of being mentally ill. An unnamed law enforcement official who was briefed on the investigation said Adam is believed to have suffered from “a personality disorder.” Neighbors described him as “odd” and displaying characteristics associated with mental illness. His brother Ryan reportedly described Adam as having Asperger Syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism that in some clinical studies has been shown to have a causal link to violence. But Adam’s aunt Marsha Lanza, of Crystal Lake, Ill., said her nephew was raised by kind, nurturing parents who would not have hesitated to seek mental help for him if he needed it. “Nancy wasn’t one to deny reality,” Marsha Lanza said, adding her husband had seen Adam as recently as June and recalled nothing out of the ordinary.
- Adam Lanza was a Goth. Catherine Urso of Newtown said her college-age son knew Adam and remembered him for his “alternative style”: “He just said he was very thin, very remote and was one of the goths.”
- Adam Lanza played video games. He was a member of a technology club at Newtown High School that held computer gaming parties.
- Adam Lanza killed his victims execution-style, shooting each child up to 11 times. The children were all 1st grade students, about 6 years old.
- Adam Lanza hated his mother. Before he drove his mother’s car to Sandy Hook elementary school to massacre innocents, Adam had shot his mother in the face — which, criminal psychologists will tell you, is indicative of a lot of rage and hate.
- The guns Adam used belonged to his parents. Three guns were found — a Glock and a Sig Sauer, both pistols, inside the school; a .223-caliber high-powered rifle was in the back of the car driven by Adam. CNN reports that all three guns had been purchased by Nancy Lanza. In other words, no amount of psychological screening would have prevented Adam from getting hold of those guns. His access to those guns is his parents’ responsibility.
[Sources: Associated Press; ABC News; FoxNews; CNN; Reuters; The Sun; Daily Mail]
Like Adam Lanza, the killers at Columbine, Virginia Tech, Tucson AZ, and Aurora CO (Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold; Seung-Hui Cho; Jared Lee Loughner; James Holmes) are all young males from middle or upper-middle class homes.
There is something very wrong with our society and with American families. We are breeding heartless, soul-less, evil psychopaths.