Tag Archives: Sadiq Khan

The result of strict gun control in the UK: One machete crime every 90 minutes on Britain’s streets

saddiq khan

Paging Piers Morgan…

From Daily Mail: Machete attacks are taking place every 90 minutes on our streets, figures reveal. Criminals are increasingly picking the jungle blades as their weapons of choice to instill terror in victims and rival gang members.

Police forces are dealing with rising numbers of machete-wielding thugs carrying out murders, rapes, robberies and burglaries.

In February, 20-year-old Sadiq Aadam was hacked to death in Belsize Park, north London, by a gang carrying the blades. A teenager has since appeared in court charged with murdering two young men.

Days earlier, father-of-two David Pugh suffered serious injuries after fighting off four machete-wielding robbers who broke into his home and started beating his 17-year-old son in Solihull, West Midlands.

And in March, a man was left with life-changing injuries after a ‘chilling’ machete attack at a bar in Manchester. The victim, in his 30s, had been at the nightspot with his friends when another man walked past him and shouted abuse at a group of people in the bar.

Police said when the victim asked him to calm down, the offender turned to his friend and asked for a machete before striking the victim’s hand.

The shocking statistics come after Home Secretary Amber Rudd launched the Government’s long-awaited Serious Violence Strategy, which aims to tackle knife crime, earlier this week. It came amid a shooting and stabbing spree that has claimed 56 lives in London so far this year.

Figures uncovered using freedom of information requests show that in the last two months of 2017 police dealt with 928 crimes involving machetes. This is an average of 15 a day – or one every 90 minutes. London saw 425 of the attacks, with 99 in Greater Manchester, 77 in the West Midlands and 29 each in Merseyside and West Yorkshire.

It represents a dramatic rise from just three years before, when the deadly blades were used in only 100 crimes a month over the same period.

The machete was originally intended as a tool used to cut undergrowth or sugar cane in Latin America and Africa. Critics say they have little legitimate use in the UK, but they are not on a list of banned blades such as butterfly or flick-knives.

Gangsters are increasingly carrying the fearsome blades as status symbols and to spread fear with gruesome attacks.

Machetes came to public prominence in May 2013 when British soldier Lee Rigby was butchered in broad daylight by two Islamist fanatics.

Figures from the Office for National Statistics show that in the year to September 2017 the police recorded 37,443 offences involving a knife or sharp instrument – a 21 per cent increase on the previous year, and the highest since records began seven years ago.

On Monday, Miss Rudd promised an Offensive Weapons Bill, which will ban online knife sales to under-18s and make it illegal to possess so-called zombie knives, with long, serrated blades with a maximum four-year jail penalty.

See also:

h/t Breitbart

DCG

London stabbings: Six teenagers attacked in 90 minutes during night of violence

saddiq khan

Whew, good thing London has strict gun control laws to stop the violence in their streets!

From Yahoo: Six teenagers have been stabbed within 90 minutes in another night of violence on London’s streets.

A 13-year-old boy was among the victims of four separate knife attacks, which took place as protesters gathered elsewhere in the capital to demand action to prevent young people dying.

Earlier, Tottenham MP David Lammy said violence in London was the “worst I’ve ever seen it” and warned there was “absolutely no sign” of an end to the bloodshed following a spate of murders as drugs drive turf wars between gangs.

Crowds gathered at Hackney Central station in east London on Thursday, close to where 18-year-old Israel Ogunsola was stabbed to death the previous night.

But as demonstrators and community leaders called for peace, violence was breaking out again on the capital’s streets.

A 13-year-old boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries after being stabbed near Little Ilford Park, Newham. Three other boys were arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Minutes later a man in his late teens was taken to hospital following a stabbing in Ealing Broadway, west London. The Metropolitan Police said it was awaiting an update on his condition.

An hour earlier, three boys were taken to hospital following a knife attack in Mile End, east London. Two were in a serious condition, Tower Hamlets police said. The third was treated for minor injuries before being arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm.

The night of violence had begun at 5.30pm, when a 15-year-old boy was seriously injured in a stabbing in East India Docks. His condition was stable and his injuries were not thought to be life-threatening. No arrests have been in connection to the attacks in Ealing Broadway or East India Docks.

The violence on Thursday evening came after a man in his twenties was injured in a stabbing in Walthamstow, north-east London, at around 12.50pm.

The flurry of knife attacks followed the killings of three teenagers in the capital in the first four days of this month.

Tanesha Melbourne, 17, was shot dead in a drive-by attack in Tottenham, north London, on 2 April. Minutes later, 16-year-old Amaan Shakoor died in a gun attack three miles away in Walthamstow. No arrests have been made in connection to either murder.

Two 17-year-old boys have been held on suspicion of killing 18-year-old Mr Ogunsola.

At the protest in Hackney, demonstrators of various ages huddled around the station entrance before linking hands in a wide circle nearby in solidarity for those killed.

Protest organisers Guiding A New Generation – commonly known as GANG – invited people to share their stories and plead for an end to the killings.

One speaker, who addressed the crowd under the name Scripture, said he had seen people being killed at close hand. “It’s not a pretty sight,” he said. “You know what, it’s not a computer game. You’re not gonna come back, bruv.

“These youths who are doing damage to each other are not coming back, and they’re not learning their lesson neither.”

Hackney Liberal Democrat mayoral candidate Pauline Pearce told the rally young people felt “disenfranchised” by their environments.

She said: “A lot of the children feel disenfranchised, they don’t feel they belong, they haven’t really got a meaning – they don’t feel that they have that connection to society, so a lot of things go wrong for them and sadly this is the sort of retaliation that comes.”

See also:

DCG

Guess what is responsible for this: London sees surge in knife attacks

saddiq khan

Wait until you read what the police blame this on…seriously.

From Fox News: London became a bit more like New York City in February, but it’s not a distinction to be proud of.

The city of Big Ben and the tube that sits on the Thames River overtook New York in murders for the first time in modern history as the British capital dealt with a surge in knife attacks.

The Sunday Times reports that 15 people were murdered in London, against 14 in New York. Both cities are very diverse with large populations: London has over 8.7 million residents to New York’s 8.5 million.

In March, according to the British publication, there had been 22 killings in London versus 21 in New York.

A massive decline in crime has helped to transform New York City: In 1990, of 2,245 people were murdered. Last year, however, that number dropped nearly 90 percent to 290 murders.

The total number of murders in London has fluctuated over the years, but it’s risen by 38 percent since 2014.

The Sunday Times reports that FBI data and crime studies show that since 1800 London has typically had a murder rate per person of between half and a 20th of New York’s.

Including January, London still has fewer murders so far this year — 45 against 55 — and its total in 2017 was also lower. But the gap has narrowed in recent years.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said websites and mobile phone applications such as YouTube, Snapchat and Instagram were partially to blame for the bloodshed, the Evening Standard reports.

Fatal stabbings in England and Wales are now at their highest levels since 2011, rising by 12 per cent in the year ending December 2017.

DCG

Shocker, not: Refugees eyed in British subway terrorist attack

sadiq khan

From Fox News: Authorities named one of two Middle Eastern refugees believed to be responsible for last week’s London subway bombing, as new details emerged about their troubled time being fostered by a British couple previously honored by Queen Elizabeth II.

Yahyah Farroukh, 21, was identified as one of the suspects being held by London police, Sky News reported. Farroukh was arrested at a fried chicken shop, where he worked, in Hounslow in west London Saturday night. Suleman Sarwar, 43, who owns the chicken shop, said the 21-year-old suspect was arrested after he finished his shift.

“He was very normal,” Sarwar told Sky News. “I don’t know how long he worked here. It was surprising seeing him on the news.”

Farroukh’s Facebook profile indicated he was from Damascus and studied English in West Thamas College between 2013 and 2015. He was living in Stanwell, Surrey, where officials conducted a search on Sunday, but also most recently was registered to live with Penelope and Ronald Jones, who were honored by the queen for fostering more than 200 children – including refugees from Middle Eastern countries affected by conflicts. Another unidentified 18-year-old man who was arrested earlier in the day at Dover ferry port, where boats to France leave, was also fostered by the couple.

Both men are being held under the Terrorism Act and questioned by London police about Friday’s attack, when an improvised explosive device partially detonated aboard a subway train at Parsons Green station during morning rush hour, injuring 30 people.

But trouble with the couple’s foster children was reportedly visible beforehand – when police visited the Sunbury house two or three weeks ago, according to neighbor Stephen Griffiths.

“The police were there multiple times over the span of about a month — a few times a week,” Griffiths said. “You always think foster kids are going to have a bit of trouble, but you don’t think terrorism.”

The 18-year-old man is believed to be an Iraqi orphan who moved to the United Kingdom when he was 15 years old, after his parents died. The man was reportedly a “problem” for the foster parents and they had been contacting officials before the attack, according to the Telegraph. He lived with the Joneses, but hadn’t been arrested “in the last couple of weeks” despite the police activity at the Jones house, a Metropolitan Police spokeswoman told Sky News.

The news of frequent police visits could shed light on a tweet sent soon after the attack by President Trump in which he appeared to criticize British authorities for not acting sooner to prevent the attack.

“Another attack in London by a loser terrorist. These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!” Trump wrote.

Images of the 18-year-old suspect, who is believed to have planted the bomb, have not emerged.

ITV News, however, obtained CCTV footage showing a man near Joneses’ Sunbury house Friday morning carrying a bag from Lidl supermarket. Images after the device detonated on Friday showed it was carried in a Lidl bag.

ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, but British officials said there’s no proof yet the terror group was actively involved in the planning, preparation or carrying out of the attack. British Prime Minister Theresa May raised the city’s terror threat level to “critical” – meaning an attack is imminent – but downgraded it Sunday to “severe” – meaning an attack is highly likely.

“Severe still means that an attack is highly likely, so I would urge everybody to be vigilant but not alarmed,” Home Secretary Amber Rudd said.

DCG

The professional posturer: John McCain says US leadership was stronger under Obama

john-mccain-lord-of-the-tarp1

And to think I voted for this RINO.

From Daily Mail: John McCain has said US leadership was stronger under Barack Obama and said Donald Trump‘s criticism of Sadiq Khan suggested American ‘doesn’t want to lead’.

The senator from Arizona had said America’s standing in the world was being damaged by Mr. Trump, who has championed an ‘America First’ approach.

He said the US had been better off under Obama, despite being a fierce critic of the former president and particularly his foreign policy which he awarded an ‘F’ grade.

Mr. McCain, who ran against Obama as the Republican nominee in the 2008 presidential election, said Mr. Trump was in danger of alienating its allies.

It comes after Mr. Trump attacked London Mayor Mr. Khan after the London Bridge terror attack which left eight dead and dozens injured. Mr. Trump criticized the mayor after he told Londoners not to be alarmed about an increased police presence following the atrocity on June 3.

When asked about that, Mr. McCain told the Guardian: ‘What do you think the message is? The message is that America doesn’t want to lead. They [the rest of the world] are not sure of American leadership, whether it be in Siberia or whether it be in Antarctica.’

When asked if America’s standing around the world had been better under Obama, Mr. McCain replied: ‘As far as American leadership is concerned, yes.’

Mr. McCain’s comments are especially relevant as he had been such a fervent critic of the previous administration’s foreign policy. Mr. McCain had previously said there was ‘profound concern across Europe and the world’ that America was ‘laying down the mantle of global leadership’.

And speaking last month in Sydney he said: ‘I know that many of you will have a lot of questions about where America is headed under President Trump. Frankly, so do many Americans.’ 

Discussing Mr. Trump’s alleged links to Russia, he added: ‘I can remember the Watergate scandal and how it brought down a president. I’m not suggesting that’s going to happen to this president, but we are in a scandal and every few days another shoe drops from this centipede, and we’ve got to get through that.’

Mr. Trump’s spat with Mr. Khan was the latest in a series of clashes between the pair. Mr. Khan had previously criticized Mr. Trump’s remarks about Muslims and his attempts to bring in a travel ban against people from six mainly-Muslim countries trying to enter the US, and Mr. Trump labelling him a ‘buffoon’ and challenging him to an IQ test.

Asked about the fallout with Mr. Trump, Mr. Khan told ITV1’s today’s Good Morning Britain: ‘We’re not kids in a playground, he’s the president of the US. I’m too busy to respond to his tweets, isn’t he busy?’

He denied he was stoking up a feud which went back to 2016, when the mayor described the then presidential candidate’s calls for a ban on Muslim entry into the US as ‘ignorant’.

‘It takes two to tango. I’m not tangoing with this guy, I’ve got better things to do,’ said Mr. Khan. ‘From Saturday until now my focus has been dealing with the aftermath of the horrific attack. Working with the police, security services, the Government; that’s why I’ve not responded to the tweets from Donald Trump.’

Prime Minister Theresa May waded into the row with clear criticism of Mr. Trump, insisting he was ‘wrong’ to be criticizing Mr. Khan’s response. 

DCG

Terror attacks are ‘part and parcel of living in a big city’, claims London mayor Sadiq Khan

white-flag

From Daily Mail: The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has said that living with terror attacks – like the one that hit New York at the weekend – is ‘part and parcel of living in a big city’.

Mr. Khan told the Evening Standard: ‘It is a reality I’m afraid that London, New York, other major cities around the world have got to be prepared for these sorts of things. That means being vigilant, having a police force that is in touch with communities, it means the security services being ready, but also it means exchanging ideas and best practice.’

The dopey mayor...

The dopey mayor…

Mr. Khan, who was elected as Mayor in May to replace Boris Johnson, who is ironically now Britain’s Foreign Secretary, was in the United States on a business trip.  He said he had a ‘sleepless’ night on Saturday after a bomb exploded on West 23rd Street in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighbourhood, injuring 31 people.

Another device on 27th Street in Manhattan failed to go off and Ahmad Rahami, an Afghan-born US citizen was later arrested in New Jersey.  Mr. Rahami has been charged in relation to the New York explosion and another device that exploded harmlessly hours earlier near a race in Seaside Park, New Jersey.

After taking advice from the New York authorities it was ‘business as usual’ for Mr. Khan, who visited the 9/11 memorial and attended a New York Mets baseball game. Mr. Khan reportedly hinted that the Mets could come to London next year to play a Major League Baseball game at West Ham’s Olympic Stadium.

The other dopey mayor...

The other dopey mayor…

Mr. Khan later met with the Mayor of New York, Bill de Blasio, as well as with Muslim community leaders, and co-wrote an editorial in the New York Times.

Mr. Khan, who was the first Muslim Mayor of a major western city when he was elected in May, Mr. de Blasio and Paris’s Mayor, Anne Hidalgo, wrote: ‘We call on world leaders to adopt a similar welcoming and collaborative spirit on behalf of the refugees all over the world. Our cities stand united in the call for inclusivity. It is part of who we are as citizens of diverse and thriving cities.’

ssig_biteme_100-103

DCG

London’s New Mayor: I Won’t Be Able To Visit The U.S. If Donald Trump Wins

After what Khan has to say about de Blasio and Emanuel, you can hardly take him seriously.

sadiq khan

From Huffington Post: Newly elected London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he wants to travel to the U.S. to collaborate with other mayors — but he won’t be able to if Donald Trump wins the presidency.

Khan, who was elected mayor last week after fending off racially charged attacks from his opponents, is Muslim. Trump, the presumed Republican nominee for U.S. president, has vowed to ban anyone practicing Islam from entering the United States. The GOP hopeful defended this plan as recently as Sunday, but has also indicated that he’d allow exceptions to the ban for sporting events and heads of state.

Khan pointed out that such a ban could prevent meaningful political collaboration.

“I think Bill de Blasio is doing interesting housing stuff in New York, Rahm Emanuel is doing interesting stuff with the infrastructure bank in Chicago,” he told Time in an interview on Sunday.

baby laughing

“I want to go to America to meet with and engage with American mayors. If Donald Trump becomes the president I’ll be stopped from going there by virtue of my faith, which means I can’t engage with American mayors and swap ideas.

But Khan, whose parents immigrated to the U.K. from Pakistan, also didn’t seem too worried about Trump’s threats. “Conservative tacticians thought those sort of tactics would win London and they were wrong,” he said. “I’m confident that Donald Trump’s approach to politics won’t win in America.”

DCG