Tag Archives: Multnomah County

Oregon taxpayers to provide $1M legal defense fund for illegal aliens

From Fox News: The Portland City Council approved a $500,000 grant for potential deportees’ legal services, and Multnomah County is matching that amount.

A city official told Fox 12 that the funding, which is being called the “Universal Representation Project,” is for illegal immigrants aliens and refugees who may not be able to afford an attorney during legal proceedings.

The grant money will go to Catholic Charities of Oregon, which will use the funds to hire attorneys and paralegals to represent potential deportees.

The Oregonian reported that the $500,000 from Portland will be drawn from the city general fund, which primarily pays for police, fire and parks operations.

On “Fox & Friends” on Sunday, former ICE supervisor Jason Piccolo said this move makes absolutely no sense.

He noted that the Justice Department already provides a legal orientation program that gives lawyers training so they can represent illegal immigrants aliens pro bono.

“Every time an alien is encountered and arrested by ICE or through the Border Patrol, they’re provided a list of legal services, pro bono,” Piccolo said. “So, using taxpayer-funded money does not make any sense.”

Piccolo argued that this is just a political move that’s being made for the anti-President Trump, anti-ICE optics.

“Anything that counters President Trump is what the Democrats are going to do,” he said.

Portland city commissioner Chloe Eudaly has defended the legal funding, saying:

“Providing access to legal services is about protecting everyone’s constitutional right to due process (unless you’re Brett Kavanaugh). This is one of the most fundamental components of our democracy and every American regardless of immigration status should be proud to defend this value.”

See also:

DCG

Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!

Please follow and like us:

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0
 

Sanctuary Oregon: Illegal alien who was previously deported accused of nail gun rampage

This is a repost of an April 2018 blog post.

From Fox News: An illegal immigrant alien who was previously deported was arrested in Oregon on Saturday after he went on a rampage and almost killed his co-worker with a nail gun, officials said.

Jesus Ascencio-Molina, 24, a native of Mexico, was arrested on Saturday, April 14, after he assaulted Andres C. Marcelo, 24, of Wood Village, Ore., a fellow construction worker, the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office said. Deputies were called to the scene of a home in Happy Valley after responding to reports of an assault.

Marcelo was injured after Ascencio-Molina allegedly shot at him with a nail gun. Ascencio-Molina fled on foot and was arrested the next day. Marcelo was injured but listed in stable condition, the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office said.

Carissa Cutrell, an Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman, told the Daily Caller the sheriff’s office would most likely not notify ICE if and when Ascencio-Molina is released from jail.

“Even though we lodged a detainer, due to Clackamas County’s policy of non-cooperation, it is unlikely that ICE will be notified in the event Ascencio-Molina is released from custody before his criminal case is resolved,” Cuttrell said.

Ascencio-Molina was deported in 2012 after he was charged in Multnomah County, Ore., the Daily Caller reported.

“Ascencio-Molina was previously detained by ICE on immigration violations in 2012 after ICE officer encountered him at the Multnomah County Detention Center after his arrest on local criminal charges,” Cuttrell said. “An immigration judge subsequently granted Ascencio-Molina voluntary departure to Mexico, and ICE returned him to his home country in 2013.”

It was not immediately known when Asencio-Molina returned to the U.S. ICE issued a formal detention request Monday to the Clackamas County Jail.

Ascencio-Molina was charged with assault and attempted murder and is currently at the Clackamas County Jail. His bail was set at $250,000. 

See also:

h/t FOTM reader Stovepipe!

DCG

Please follow and like us:

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0
 

Illegal alien deported 20 times gets 35 years in Portland for sex assaults

sergio jose martinez

Illegal Martinez freed by officials in Oregon to commit assault


Happened in a sanctuary city and county.
From Fox News: An undocumented immigrant illegal alien, with a history of arrests and deportations, was sentenced to 35 years in prison Friday after his sexual assault conviction earlier this year.
KATU News reported that Mexican national Sergio Jose Martinez, 31, attacked two women in Portland, Ore., on the same day. The first was a 65-year-old whose car he stole, and a younger woman. He was arrested July 24, the report said.
Prior to the attacks, Martinez had been deported 20 times, had a series of probation violations for illegal crossings into the United States and had a felony burglary conviction, KGW.com reported, citing court documents filed in March.
Martinez faced charges of kidnapping, assault, robbery and sodomy, KATU News reported. He was released from Multnomah County Jail last December despite the objection of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials.
ICE had asked local authorities to alert the federal agency prior to Martinez’s release, the paper reported. However, the agency told KATU News in July that “local authorities released Mr. Martinez back into the community the following day without providing any notification to ICE.”
Multnomah County (Ore.) Sheriff Mike Reese and county officials penned a letter addressing the issue, saying “the Sheriff’s Office does not hold people in county jails on ICE detainers or conduct any immigration enforcement actions,” KGW.com reported.
Martinez’s sentencing came a day after the acquittal of San Francisco murder defendant Jose Inez Garcia Zarate, an undocumented immigrant, in the death of Kate Steinle.
DCG

Please follow and like us:

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0
 

Report: Child-welfare investigator concluded that Seattle Mayor Ed Murray sexually abused foster son

Ed Murray with husband Michael Shiosaki
In April, Dr. Eowyn reported that homosexual Seattle Mayor Ed Murray was accused of having sexually molested a 15-year-old boy in the 1980s. At the time, Murray would have been in his early 30s.
From her blog post:
“Lewis Kamb and Jim Brunner report for Seattle Times that on April 6, 2017, a 46-year-old man with the initials D.H., a resident of Kent, Washington, filed a lawsuit in King County Superior Court, claiming that Ed Murray had “raped and molested him” over several years, beginning in 1986 when the man was a 15-year-old crack-cocaine addicted high-school dropout. Murray gave the teen payments of $10 to $20.
Murray vehemently denied the allegations and abruptly canceled a scheduled news conference about police reform.
Two other men, Jeff Simpson and Lloyd Anderson, had accused Murray of abusing them in the 1980s when Simpson was 13 and Anderson was 16 years old. Both men had known Murray when they were growing up in a Portland center for troubled children.”
Now news comes out that the mayor, who is not seeking re-election this year, was investigated by Oregon Child Protective Services (CPS) in 1984. The CPS determined that Murray should never again be a foster parent.
From MyNorthwest.com (via the Seattle Times) reports that a child welfare investigator in Oregon concluded in 1984 that Seattle Mayor Ed Murray sexually abused his foster son, The Seattle Times reports.
The Oregon Child Protective Services investigation validated Jeff Simpson’s allegations of abuse, according to public records the Times obtained.
Mayor Murray has publicly denied the allegations and made it a point that prosecutors in Oregon decided not to charge him years ago.
Simpson is one of four men who have accused the mayor of abuse when they were teenagers. Most recently, Delvonn Heckard, dropped a lawsuit against Murray, but promised to refile when the mayor has completed his term. Lloyd Anderson and Lavon Jones also allege the mayor sexually abused them.
Mayor Murray dropped out of the race for re-election, claiming Heckard’s lawsuit would be too distracting for the city. But he believes the withdrawal of Heckard’s case vindicates him.
As for Simpson, the Times reports that the Multnomah County prosecutor withdrew a criminal case against Murray not because they thought Simspon was lying, but because of his “troubled personality.”
Both Murray and Simpson appeared to be surprised that the CPS records still exist.  The Times reports that upon hearing the news, Simpson responded: “Wow, wow. Thank you, Jesus.”
In an interview with the Times, Murray and his attorney questioned why Oregon officials would have held on to the CPS records without notifying the mayor. Murray pointed out that a criminal case was withdrawn before a jury could vote to indict him.
“Other than the salacious nature of it, I don’t see what the story is,” Murray told the Times. “The system vindicated me. They withdrew the case.”
The CPS records also show that child-welfare officials decided that Ed Murray should never again be a foster parent.
Read the Seattle Times report here. But you won’t be allowed to comment. The Seattle Times has closed this article to comments, which they frequently do on articles they must deem “controversial.”
DCG

Please follow and like us:

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0
 

Oregon judge says all guns in U.S. should be dumped in ocean


From The Oregonian: As the killer stood before him, Judge Kenneth Walker couldn’t stay silent. “If I could I would take all the guns in America, put them on big barges and go dump them in the ocean,” the judge told the defendant. “Nobody would have a gun. Not police, not security, not anybody. We should eliminate all of them. We could save 33,000 people a year if we didn’t have guns in this country.”
Marcell Lee Daniel Jr. had unleashed 30 bullets during an afternoon drive-by shooting of an innocent man on a North Portland sidewalk. The man, Andrew Coggins Jr., 24, died.
The judge kept going. “Australia after a major shooting rounded up all the guns, and they haven’t had near the death that we do here in this country,” he said.
The judge was referring to tighter gun controls in Australia in response to a 1996 mass shooting by a lone gunman who killed 35. Australia responded by buying back or seizing a million existing firearms and making it more difficult to buy new ones. News reports marking the 20th anniversary of gun reforms state there have been no mass shootings — defined as 5 or more people — since.
“I just saw last night a statistic that 11,000 people in America are murdered each year and another 20,000 commit suicide with guns,” Walker said, referring to figures from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
“They are a scourge of this country and no one should have one as far as I’m concerned,” he said. “There’s no defense to guns. There’s just absolutely no reason to have them. But it is a right of people in this country to own and possess them, and I will not say anything to affect that right.”
Walker, a Multnomah County Circuit Court judge for nearly 10 years and a criminal defense attorney before that for 25 years, sentenced Daniel to 17 1/2 years in prison.
molon labe
Read the whole story here.
h/t Weasel Zippers
DCG

Please follow and like us:

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0
 

"Improve our relationship with the community"

illegal

Multnomah County Sheriff to begin releasing undocumented immigrants illegal aliens with deportation holds for low-level crimes

The Oregonian: Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton is on the cusp of changing his detention policy in favor of releasing undocumented immigrants illegal aliens jailed for nonviolent misdemeanor crimes.
Staton has been drafting the change for the last several months with Multnomah County Chair Jeff Cogen. The new policy is a sharp turn from the current practice of holding undocumented immigrants requested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The agency requests that some immigrants be held for deportation even after their original booking charges have been cleared.
The immigrant rights community has been pressuring Staton to reject the immigration agency’s demands. Cogen and the rest of the Board of Commissioners have been echoing that disapproval.
Cogen said the new policy could potentially save the county millions of dollars, as it would free up jail beds for inmates accused of felonies or violent crimes.
But the biggest benefit is it will improve our relationship with a significant portion of the community,” he said. “We will no longer have families torn apart. This will be a more just policy.
The board is scheduled to vote April 4 on whether to endorse the policy. Their endorsement does not affect whether the policy becomes official.
liberal
Ah, the liberal mind. Change the wording (undocumented immigrants) and pretend to be doing it for the children (families torn apart). How about they deal with the laws instead of creating their fantasy “just” policy?
DCG

Please follow and like us:

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0