The Sun reports, July 16, 2019, that a dog in Nafpaktos, a coastal city in western Greece, refuses to leave the roadside where his owner, 40-year-old Haris, was killed when he was hit by a cement mixer 18 months ago in 2017.
It’s unclear how the dog got there, as the scene of the crash is 7½ miles from his home.
Local people have tried to adopt the unnamed dog, but the faithful canine insists on staying by the roadside — through the seasons, moving only into the shade when the weather gets very hot.
So kind locals built a little kennel for the dog, and bring him food and water, as well as a memorial to his dead owner.
Dogs have been known to stay at their owner’s graves for many years.
Last year, a 15-year-old German Shepherd named Capitan died at his owner’s grave after spending 10 years at the Municipal Cemetery of Villa Carlos Paz, Argentinia. Capitan’s owner, Miguel Guzman, had died in 2006. Some months later, the dog went missing. Guzman’s family thought Capitan had run away, but were shocked to find the dog by Guzman’s graveside months later. No one knows how Capitan found the cemetery where his owner is buried.
Perhaps the best known story is that of a Skye terrier named Greyfriars Bobby in Edinburgh, Scotland. The terrier spent 14 years guarding the grave of his owner, John Gray, who died in 1858. The dog died in 1872 and is buried inside Greyfriars Kirkyard, not far from where his owner is buried. A statue was erected in the terrier’s memory and several books and three films based on his life have been produced.
See also these FOTM posts:
- Hearts of dogs and their owners beat in sync
- Dog visits owner’s grave every day
- Heartbroken dog visits owner’s grave site every day
- Dog waits in Siberian cold for 1+ years on side of road where owner was killed
- Dog waits outside dead master’s home every day for 5 years
- Dog waits for owner killed in convenience-store robbery
- Faithful dog stays by coffin of Italian earthquake victim
- Missing dog showed up at owner’s funeral 490 miles away
- Stray dogs attend funeral service of woman who had fed them
- Heartbroken dog goes to church for daily Mass, like dead owner
- Little dog walks 20 blocks to find cancer-stricken owner in hospital
- Dog waits 8 days in parking lot for hospitalized owner