Tag Archives: Italy

Family members of Berlin Christmas terrorist attack receive bills from government

berlin terrorist attack

Bureaucracy doing what it does best.

From News.com.au: Those whose sons, daughters and loved ones were killed by a terrorist plunging a hijacked truck through a Christmas market in 2016 thought at the very least they’d get a letter of condolence from their leader.

Instead, almost a year after the Berlin Christmas market terror attack, relatives of the 12 Germans killed in the attack have received bills for identifying the dead bodies and threats to call the debt collectors in.

They received limited compensation and not an official word, or letter of condolence, from German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Merkel failed them, say the grieving relatives of the 12, who have vented their anger in a withering letter accusing the Chancellor of “political inaction” and of failing to reach out to the bereaved.

Almost a year after the attack, we note that you have not shared your condolences with us either in person or in writing. In our opinion, this means that you are not doing justice to your office,” read the letter, published by weekly magazine Der Spiegel on Friday.

“In failing to do so, we believe, you are failing to live up to your high office … It is a question of respect, decency and, finally, a matter of course that you as the head of government should acknowledge to us the loss of our family members through an act of terror.”

Among those venting their anger, frustration and grief are Sigrid and Hans-Georg Rheinsberg. Their daughter, Doris, was killed in the attack by a jihadist asylum-seeker Anis Amri.

The only official communication they’ve had is an invoice from the forensic medicine department demanding €51 ($80) for identifying the body of their daughter. And a very official warning that if they didn’t pay it in 30 days, a debt collector would be hired.

Hans-Georg Rheinsberg told the magazine: “Ms. Merkel embraced the refugees, but she left us out in the cold.”

The letter says the bereaved were neglected by their government after the attack.

Accusing the Chancellor of “failing to live up” to the responsibility of her office, it notes how she and other dignitaries attended a rushed mass at the Memorial Church, a Berlin landmark in the heart of the Christmas market, while relatives of the victims were desperately struggling to find out whether their loved ones were among the casualties. Some waited for days to be informed.

The letter contrasts how other nations dealt with the five foreign dead: the Italian President attended the transfer of the remains of one of the victims; the Polish president knelt in front of the coffin of the truck driver murdered by Amri. Israel, home to another victim, passed a law giving financial support to families of terror targets overseas.

Meanwhile, the injured German survivors of the attack are also angry: while the killer received state support, some of the 70 injured have not yet been compensated for massive medical bills.

The German government has so far paid out $1.9 million to those wounded in the attack and to the victims’ families, according to the justice ministry.

Merkel’s office reacted swiftly to the public damnation, her spokesman saying on Monday she will this month hold her first face-to-face meeting with relatives on December 189 — one day before the anniversary of the attack.

Government spokesman Steffen Seibert said Merkel will listen to their grievances and see “which lessons can be learned” at the December 18 meeting.

He claimed the meeting was scheduled before the open letter was sent, nevertheless, “the letter shows how useful and urgent this meeting is”, Seibert said.

The letter had harsh words for the security “failings” that allowed Amri, a failed asylum seeker from Tunisia, to carry out the attack, the deadliest yet in Germany to be claimed by the Islamic State group.

Authorities missed a number of opportunities to arrest and deport the known drug dealer with connections to radical Islamists, who escaped detection by skipping across German state lines and using different identities.

On the day of the attack, he hijacked a truck and murdered its Polish driver before ploughing the vehicle through the market on his deadly drive. He was shot and killed four days later by Italian police in Milan.

The annual Christmas market at Berlin’s Breitscheidplatz reopened last week with new security measures in place, including concrete barriers and a heightened police presence.

DCG

Advertisements

Here we go again: UK hospital applies to High Court to switch off baby Alfie’s life support

alfie evans liverpool Echo photo

Alfie Evans/Liverpool Echo photo

It’s the Charlie Gard case all over again. That’s the UK’s NHS system for you.

From Daily Mirror: The parents of Alfie Evans have spoken of their “living nightmare” after a hospital advised switching off their baby son’s life support, it is claimed.

Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool has applied to the High Court to switch off life support for the 18-month-old in a coma, the Liverpool Echo understands.

Alfie’s dad has spoken of their “devastation” and “disappointment” after the hospital reportedly said they had exhausted all options in trying to diagnose and treat the infant’s mystery brain condition.

It comes shortly after Alfie’s parents Thomas Evans and Kate James, both 20, said that after months of searching they had finally found a hospital abroad that was willing to take him.

But a letter to them, seen by the Liverpool Echo, shows Alder Hey are opposing the move to an Italian children’s hospital – and are stepping up the battle over Alfie’s life by taking the matter to court.

The Alder Hey letter says the hospital has asked the High Court to rule that it is legal and in Alfie’s best interest for long-term ventilation and intensive care to be withdrawn.

It says: “The trust’s position is that it does not consider the provision of continued mechanical ventilation nor the move to Italy to be in Alfie’s best interests. The application also asks the court to make a declaration that it is in Alfie’s best interests to be transferred to a hospice setting and to be treated on a palliative pathway with appropriate end of life care.

Mr. Evans from Bootle, told the Liverpool Echo: “It’s devastating – we feel so disappointed. I feel Alfie is being ignored, let down and not given a chance. “Why should we take him to a hospice when there’s a hospital happy to take him? Alder Hey were watching us work so hard to get this hospital – now we’ve got an offer and a doctor willing to come over, but they’ve refused to speak with him. “Now we are starting to go through a living nightmare. They are making it 10 times worse.”

Tens of thousands of people have formed “Alfie’s Army” over the past year to support and fundraise for the family, including many supporters of Charlie Gard’s parents in their legal fight.

Charlie died aged 11 months following his family’s court battle to send him to the US for treatment.

The reported decision by Alder Hey comes after months of fraught discussions between Alfie’s parents and the hospital over what to do to help their son.

An Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust said: “We understand that this is an incredibly difficult time for the family concerned and we continue to liaise directly with them. We are unable to comment on individual cases. Alder Hey is a specialist children’s hospital which therefore means we treat many children with often complex, life threatening conditions.

Unfortunately despite the best efforts of our clinicians, some of these children are sadly unable to recover from their illness. In such a situation, medical professionals will meet to discuss the most appropriate care plan going forward, focusing on the comfort, wellbeing and best interests of the child concerned.

The Trust will often seek advice from specialist clinicians at other trusts. The care plan is always discussed in full with the family to aim to reach agreement between clinicians and parents about the most appropriate care. We also seek input from the families concerned and this may extend to include review by experts instructed by the family.

Understandably these cases place families under great pressure. We will always seek to reach agreement with parents of the child concerned but there will be some rare situations where agreement cannot be reached and the treating team believe that continued active treatment is not in a child’s best interests. In these cases the Trust will refer a case to the Family Division of the High Court and seek a determination as to the best interests of the child. In all such cases we will also invite the Children and Family Court Advisory Support Service to consider the case and provide independent representation of the child.”

DCG

Guess where George Clooney is moving his family to protect them?

clooney

Back in February 2016 George Clooney and his wife Amal met with Angela Merkel “to discuss the ongoing crisis in the Middle East and the political reaction to it in Europe and elsewhere.”

After the meeting, George Clooney declared to the world that he and Amal fully support Merkel’s open-door policy towards “refugees,” telling reporters: “I absolutely agree with her”.

In July that same year, a massive migrant camp formed near Clooney’s Italian mansion.

It’s odd that a couple who wholly supported the migrant invasion are now fleeing Europe for the safety of the good ol’ USA…

From Daily Mail: He’s made a home for his family in their stunning £20 million property in Sonning-On-Thames, Berkshire. Yet George Clooney is said to be considering relocating from the English countryside to Los Angeles as he fears for the safety of wife Amal and their newborn twins.

Following the birth of Ella and Alexander last month, the doting new dad, 56, has reportedly been increasingly worried about the level of security in their homes, Life&Style reports.

A source told the site that George had received threats in the past, whilst he was concerned that his wife’s work as an international human rights lawyer could make her a target. ‘He doesn’t feel like Amal and the twins are safe living in the English countryside,’ the insider explained. ‘As soon as Amal found out she was pregnant, he hired former Secret Service agents to assess all his properties and make recommendations for improvement.’

They claimed the star’s mansion in Studio City, California was the most secure, as they added: ‘He’s waited so long for this family, he’ll do whatever it takes to keep them safe.’

MailOnline have contacted George’s representatives for comment.

George wed Amal, 39, in 2014, and bought their sprawling £7.5 million home in the English countryside later that year. They have reportedly spent an additional £12.5 million on the sprawling estate, including building a nanny’s quarters.

As well as their English manor and Studio City pad, the pair also own two villas in Laglio, Italy and a holiday home in the Mexican beach location of Cabo.

Read the rest of the story here.

See also:

DCG

Dolce & Gabbana at it again: Shut down Miley Cyrus and her political rant

Miley Cyrus

I strongly disagree with everything about this “entertainer”

I am loving these guys!

From Daily Mail: Miley Cyrus has never been one to back down from what she believes in. And the 24-year-old pop star wasn’t afraid to critique the designers of Dolce & Gabbana while she congratulated brother Braison for making his runway debut in their Saturday fashion show.

Although the post began with the Malibu singer gushing about her baby brother, it ended on a political note with the starlet writing ‘PS ‘D&G, I STRONGLY disagree with your politics,’ likely making an nod to the brand’s work with First lady Melania Trump.

Miley shout out to brother Braison began straightforward enough as the pop star gushed about the 23-year-old calling him the ‘most talented musician my ears have ever been given the gift of hearing’ and praising him for ‘stepping out of his comfort zone’ on the catwalk.

But her post took a turn towards the political with the Wrecking Ball singer’s post-script, writing ‘PS D&G, I STRONGLY disagree with your politics.’

The former Disney diva’s comments were likely directed towards the Italian fashion house’s decision to dress First Lady Melania Trump, which earned them significant criticism. After their relationship with the Trumps even sparked a boycott online, the fashionistos fought back with style, producing a $245 ‘#Boycott Dolce & Gabbana.’

Stefano Gabbana was not pleased with Miley’s dig, commenting on the post first ‘Ignorant!!!’ and then later writing ‘For your stupid comment never more work with [your brother] ❤❤.’

Not one to take the high road, Stefano Gabbana also snapped back at Miley on his Instagram account, writing her a message in his native Italian. Translated, it reads: ‘We are Italian and we don’t care about politics and mostly neither about the American one! 

‘We make dresses and if you think about doing politics with a post it’s simply ignorant. We don’t need your posts or comments so next time please ignore us!!’

He added the tag ‘#boycottdolcegabbana’ just in case Miley had a change of heart and decided to pick up an stubbornly overpriced tee shirt.

D&G’s work with Melania hasn’t been their only recent brush with controversy.

Founders Stefano Gabano and Domenico Dolce found themselves in hot water after the openly gay fashionistas expressed their disapproval for gay parenting and IVF in a 2015 interview with Italian magazine Panorama.

‘We oppose gay adoptions. The only family is the traditional one … No chemical offsprings and rented uterus; Life has a natural flow, there are things that should not be changed,’ said the designers in the piece titled ‘Long-Live the [Traditional] Family.’

DCG

Dolce & Gabbana continue their support for Melania Trump and mock their haters

dolce and gabbana t shirt

Dolce & Gabbana (D&G) is a luxury Italian fashion house founded in 1985 in Legnano by Italian designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana.  They have supported Melania Trump wearing their designs and fashion and for that face a boycott backlash.

In January of this year, Stefano Gabbana very publicly threw his support behind Melania Trump while taking on some internet trolls. Gabbana’s response to those who threatened to boycott their D&G brand? ‘I don’t care,’ replied Gabbana.

The two have also upset the tolerant libtards in the past by stating in 2015 (from Wikipedia), “We oppose gay adoptions. The only family is the traditional one.” They also criticized in vitro fertilisation (IVF) and surrogacy by saying, “No chemical offspring and rented uterus: life has a natural flow, there are things that should not be changed.”  Since the comments were made by two gay men in an industry often seen as gay-friendly, reactions were especially harsh.

I love these guys for standing up to the NOH8 brigade. Yet I won’t be buying this $245 t-shirt as it is overpriced out of my budget.

From Hollywood Reporter: Italian fashion house Dolce & Gabbana is thumbing its nose at critics with a new campaign and apparel urging a boycott of the company.

The company is selling T-shirts for $245 a piece that read #BOYCOTT DOLCE & GABBANA. The shirts are listed on Dolce and Gabbana’s website alongside a short film of Italian protesters wearing the shirts during a demonstration against the company.

Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana are among the protesters.

The shirts follow Instagram posts from co-founder Stefano Gabbana last month highlighting first lady Melania Trump’s Dolce & Gabbana outfits during her recent overseas trip with President Donald Trump. In one of his posts, Gabbana called out “haters” and urged them to boycott the brand.

Dolce & Gabbana didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

DCG

Obama Speaks on Global Warming, Then Spews CO2 With Private Jet, 13-Car Motorcade

obama

Do as I say, not as I do.

Of course he did.

From HeatStreet:  Current President Donald Trump may be living it up in Saudi Arabia, but former President Barack Obama certainly isn’t slacking off on the sweet life.

Obama and his wife Michelle are in Italy this week on vacation, after the former President spoke to the Institute for International Political Studies in Milan on the importance of addressing climate change, to preserve the world’s food supply and protect its underprivileged.

Apparently, he’s decided to demonstrate humanity’s contribution to global warming by making his own carbon footprint as big as possible.

On Friday, the Obama’s jetted into Tuscany on a private – not a commercial – plane, escorted into a small Florentine airport by six additional military jets, according to Italian state television. Footage of the landing has been broadcasting across Italy all weekend.

Once on the ground, the Obamas slipped into a black SUV and drove to the private Tuscan villa, Borgo Finocchieto, where they’ll be staying in all week, escorted by a 13-car motorcade.

The Villa, of course, is no mere motel, nestled in the Tuscan countryside just a few miles south of the city of Florence. They’ll be taking over an entire Tuscan village, where they’ll have their choice of 22 bedrooms, a library, several private spas and steam rooms, and wine-tasting room. Borgo Finocchieto also boasts commanding views of Tuscany’s vineyards.

It usually goes for $15,000 per night, but luckily for Obama, it belongs to his former ambassador to Italy, so no doubt the pair will get a deal.

In just his trip back and forth to Italy, for his presentation and his vacation, Barack Obama has emitted more than 16 metric tons of carbon – just shy of what an average American emits in a year. Add to that the motorcade, the internal travel in Italy, and, of course, the villa, and Obama and his wife have easily emitted more carbon in one single week than most Americans will in 2017.

Last week, Obama implored those same Americans – and their compatriots across Europe – to cut down on their carbon emissions in order to draw global warming to a standstill. “When it comes to climate change, the hour is almost upon us,” Obama told the audience at his IIPS keynote. “I do not believe that this planet is condemned to ever-rising temperatures. I believe these are problems that were caused by man and can be solved by man.

He even predicted that such egregious energy consumption to lead to food shortages as Europe struggles to take in refugees from the Middle East. If it were such an imperative, however, perhaps Obama, like other famous environmental activists, should be reconsidering his own personal habits.

DCG

Fabio goes against the Hollyweird narrative: Says “California is a mess”

From Hollywood Reporter: Actor and model Fabio Lanzoni told Fox News’ Tucker Carlson on Friday night that he’s worried about California, which he calls home.

“California is a mess,” Fabio told Carlson, joking that “coming from Europe, I’ve already seen this movie before.”

“I’m telling you, it’s an epidemic,” he explained. “Out of my friends, about 14 people got burglarized or robbed. As people, we have to take the law’s side, we have to stand behind the police, not behind the criminal,” he added.

The Italian model became a citizen last year and has lived in California for 14 years. He said he worries about people’s safety as more people he knows, including himself, are affected by local robberies.

He also added that he thinks Gov. Jerry Brown “took the side of the criminal,” claiming that the politician “lied to people,” referring to Prop 57, Brown’s effort to reshape California’s criminal-justice system by offering a new chance at release from prison for many prisoners.

Watch the interview above.

DCG