Tag Archives: ICE

Hundreds of immigrant detainees at Tacoma ICE facility on hunger strike, activists say

concerned face

From Seattle Times: As many as 400 immigrant detainees at the Northwest Detention Center have refused meals for a second day, according to activists, while federal immigration officials prepare to invoke a hunger-strike protocol that could result in forced treatment of inmates who continue to refuse nourishment.

A group of immigration and Latino activists rallied outside the Tacoma detention facility for the second night while inside they said hundreds of detainees facing deportation have refused to eat. Some of those with jobs inside the privately run facility have stopped working, said Maru Mora Villalpando with the group NWDC Resist, an anti-detention group led by undocumented immigrants illegal aliens inside the detention center.

On Monday, the group presented the detention center with a written list of demands, mostly involving living conditions in the detention center, including the quality of food, access to medical care and lowering of commissary prices.

What began with a handful of protesters has turned into a hunger strike involving hundreds of detainees, Villalpando said Tuesday. “So far, so good,” she said. She said the estimated number of participants has been determined through telephone and email contacts with detainees throughout the facility.

The detention center, operated by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) through a private contractor, GEO Group, contains more than 1,500 detainees.

Rose Richeson, a spokeswoman for ICE, has referred to the protest as a “meal refusal involving a number of detainees who have chosen not to eat meals provided by the cafeteria.” Some continue to eat food purchased from the commissary, she said.

Richeson said Tuesday that the “number of detainees refusing prepared meals at the NWDC continues to decline.”

So far, she said, “none of the detainees has missed a sufficient number of meals to be considered on a hunger strike.”

Those who have refused any food are being monitored. Once they have gone 72 hours without food — sometime Wednesday for those who began the strike Monday — the agency will initiate a hunger-strike protocol that will allow the detainees to be referred to the medical department for monitoring “and possible treatment.”

“Individuals on a hunger strike will continue to be offered three meals daily and provided with an adequate supply of drinking water and other beverages. They will also be counseled about the related medical risks,” according to Richeson.

DCG

Advertisements

Deported felon arrested in sexual abuse of 12-year-old girl at Virginia daycare

Oscar+Perez+Rangel

Illegal alien child molester/Fairfax County Police photo

From WJLA: HERNDON, Va. (ABC7) — A man who had been deported from the U.S. has been arrested on charges of sexually abusing a 12-year-old girl five times at a home daycare at the house where he lived in Herndon, police say.

Fairfax County Police say Oscar Perez Rangel, 40, of Herndon was a “previously deported felon” who was in the country illegally. He is charged with three counts of felony animate object sexual penetration and two counts of felony aggravated sexual battery in connection with the abuse of the girl between October and December of 2016.

According to ABC7’s Jeff Goldberg, Rangel’s girlfriend was running the daycare at their home in the 13100 block of Kidwell Field Road. Rangel allegedly committed the abuse after re-entering the country.

The girl told school officials of the abuse and Major Crimes Division Child Abuse detectives got the information on March 28 and began investigating. Rangel was arrested Friday at his home.

 

 

Fairfax County Police say they do not believe there are any other victims at this time.

Rangel is being held in the Fairfax County jail without bond and police are working with Immigration and Customs Enforcement and say they will turn Rangel over to ICE at some point in the future.

Police are asking anyone with information on this case to call Det. Elizabeth Melendez at 703-246-7885.

h/t Twitchy

DCG

Chicago’s ‘Mexico of the Midwest’ Fights Fallout From Fear of Trump

Little Village

From NBC News: It’s Friday night and time for the “marcha de cumpleaños” (birthday march) at Mi Tierra restaurant in the Chicago neighborhood of Little Village. Waiters bring cupcakes with lit, oversized sparklers, while patrons don straw hats and, paying no attention to empty tables, snake through the dining room to a Latino beat in a conga line.

“Fiesta. Happy,” is how Mi Tierra owner Ezequiel Fuentes describes the good times in culturally vibrant and economically vital Little Village — or as the community calls it, La Villita, a historic section in southwest Chicago that is billed as the Mexico of the Midwest.

But since the start of the year, fear of President Donald Trump has been spoiling the “fiesta” of Little Village, business owners and regular visitors said. Despite Chicago’s sanctuary city status, the uncertainty of when or whether immigration agents might strike is sapping the bustle from the 2½-mile stretch of quinceañera shops, restaurants, shoe and clothing stores, dental offices and other businesses that line W. 26th Street, the community’s main drive.

Locals say they see evidence that something has changed since January. Dozens of carved, brightly painted chairs and tables of Mi Tierra’s second dining room sat empty one weekend last month. Some tables in the main dining area also were unused. At lunchtime, half of the tables hid behind a partition awaiting customers.

“After the elections, everything changed,” said Fuentes, a former undocumented immigrant who now owns several restaurants in four states. “People are scared. They are scared to go out. The decrease of business (after the election) probably was 40 percent during the week, especially in the day time.”

Other business owners echo this sentiment. Vendors on the street corners complain that they no longer see the crowds walking up and down the neighborhood’s main street and lining up at their carts to buy their “elote” (Mexican grilled corn) and raspados (shaved ice sweetened with natural syrups). The usual buzz amid the selling of mariachi suits, clothing, jewelry, curios, accordions and many other goods at the Discount Mall outside Little Village’s welcoming arch is dampened.

Business leaders have been trying to tamp down the fear they think is driving the slowdown, reminding the community of Chicago’s historic sanctuary city status, and enlisting the mayor and police chief to dispel anxieties. They tell them there are no arrests going on in the neighborhood, that the Chicago police and local agencies don’t cooperate with the feds or question the immigration or citizenship status of residents because Chicago is a sanctuary city.

Exuding confidence in the city’s sanctuary status has taken on an urgency as news stories of arrests of immigrants with DACA – a type of protection from deportation – and people with immigration violations but not criminal histories fill the national news. The administration has threatened to punish cities that don’t cooperate with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

“I would tell people here in La Villita to not be afraid, to get well informed, find [out] for each other if ICE is coming. Get communication through police. Come out and support our families, our businesses,” said Ezequiel Fuentes Jr., who works with his father in running their restaurants. “La Villita is a great place. We can make it even greater.”

Two days after the Mi Tierra celebration, residents came together at La Villita for a community meeting where some of the topics discussed included how to prepare for possible deportation, what rights people have if arrested and shopping local. The meeting’s title: “La Villita Se Defiende.” (“Little Village Defends Itself.”)

Read the rest of the story here.

DCG

NYPD has refused all ICE detainer requests this year

pic

Claro que si.

From NY Post: Federal immigration authorities have made 109 requests to the NYPD to detain people since Jan. 1 — and the city hasn’t helped out on any of them.

Larry Byrne, the NYPD’s deputy commissioner on legal matters, revealed the figure Monday. “We’ve honored zero of them so far, none,” he said.

Byrne added that only three of the requests qualified for assistance under the city law providing sanctuary for undocumented immigrants.

Part of the law allows the NYPD to hold someone for 48 hours while Immigrations and Customs Enforcement agents obtain a warrant. “In all three of those instances, the person was transferred to the custody of the Department of Corrections before the 48-hour time elapsed,” Byrne said. “So we honored zero detainers.”

President Trump has vowed to withhold federal funding to sanctuary cities that don’t cooperate with his efforts to deport more undocumented immigrants with criminal records.

Councilman Joe Borelli (R-Staten Island) said the city should be more transparent about how it handles detainer requests. “The public should really be given the details of why these folks were arrested and allowed to make their own judgement calls,” he said. “These could be burglars, gang members and violent criminals. City Hall should own this entire policy and be held accountable if any of these particular people become repeat offenders.

Mayor de Blasio described the city law as “just and balanced.”

“It was never legally challenged by anyone,” he said. “It’s a third way in this whole national discussion because it protects the safety of people here without demonizing all immigrants.”

DCG

Illegal alien charged in kidnapping of Texas woman

illegal

The woman was trying to help the man. Never a good idea to help an illegal. Let the authorities deal with ‘em.

From Fox News: An illegal immigrant tied up a Texas woman, forced her into her car and tried to drive off with her on Wednesday, but the woman was able to escape and eventually helped lead authorities to her suspected attacker, officials said.

The man was not identified, and it was unknown how long he had been in the U.S. or what country he comes from. A media relations person was not available on Sunday to respond to questions from Fox News.

The man was charged with burglary of a habitation with intent to commit a felony and aggravated kidnapping. He also faces immigration proceedings, and is being held at Dimmit County Jail, a Friday statement from U.S. Customs and Border Protection said.

The woman told authorities she had been supplying food and water to the man, who was staying somewhere behind her house, for three days before he allegedly tried to kidnap her. She escaped as the man tried to start her car, officials said.

After an emergency call from an onlooker, agents found the woman walking along a road with her hands still bound. She told officials about the harrowing incident and CBP agents and Dimmit County Sheriff’s deputies immediately began searching for the suspect.

The man was found unresponsive “lying in the brush” – though medical technicians later determined he was “faking his condition,” the statement said.

“The skill sets of the men and women of the United States Border Patrol are simply incredible,” Acting Chief Patrol Agent Matthew J. Hudak said in the statement. “Tracking and arresting this subject resulted in the detention of an undocumented alien with a propensity for violence.”

DCG

Illegal alien, 42, arrested after contacting a special needs teenager, 19, for sex in a school

david manito illegal brooklyn park photo

Illegal alien pervert/Brooklyn Park photo

From WCCO (MINNNEAPOLIS) — Immigration officials say they have taken a man who was accused of having sexual contact with a student in a Twin Cities high school into custody.

David Manito, 42, was set to be released from jail Friday after the Hennepin County Attorney declined charges. An Immigrations and Customs Enforcement official said the agency placed a detainer on Manito following his arrest.

After he left the jail, ICE took him into custody. According to officials, ICE only places detainers on individuals believed to be deportable from the United States.

Manito was arrested after a Snapchat video appeared to show him inside a bathroom stall at Champlin Park High School Wednesday. He was accused of meeting a 19-year-old male student at the school for sex after contacting him on a cell phone app. Police say the student has special needs.

Charges could still be brought at a later date.

DCG

Father of detained Dreamer – with previous felony drug conviction and deportations – pleads guilty to immigration crime

maga

Adios muchacho…

From Seattle Times: The father of a so-called Dreamer — the young man whose arrest in Des Moines by immigration officials sparked fears of an immigration roundup and drew a national outcry — pleaded guilty Tuesday in U.S. District Court to entering the country illegally.

Court documents indicate that Antonio Ramirez-Poledo, 43, could face up to 20 years in prison because he has a prior drug felony in King County. However, federal prosecutors are recommending in a plea agreement filed with the court that he be released for time served when he is sentenced by U.S. District Judge Ricardo Martinez. Martinez is not bound by the prosecutor’s recommendation.

Ramirez-Poledo will likely face immediate deportation back to Mexico after the sentence is served.

He was deported from the U.S. at Paso del Norte, Texas, in 2004, after he was convicted in King County for possessing heroin and cocaine for distribution. He then returned to King County.

According to the criminal complaint, Ramirez-Poledo spent a year and a day in jail after his drug arrest and was then ordered deported. The complaint states that, in addition to the deportation, Ramirez-Poledo had been granted seven “voluntary departures,” including five in 2000, one in 2001 and another in 2006.

Ramirez-Poledo was arrested Feb. 10 outside a home in Des Moines after he was located by an agent from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Criminal Alien Program. Agents also took his 23-year-old son, Daniel Ramirez Medina, into custody.

The younger man had been brought to the country as a child and had been legally allowed to stay under the Obama administration’s 2012 “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals” (DACA) program, which deferred deportation or other adverse immigration actions against individuals who entered the U.S. illegally as children. Proponents call its participants “Dreamers,” alluding to their desire to become U.S. citizens.

The arrest was the first involving a DACA-eligible immigrant under the Trump administration, and immigration and civil-rights officials reacted by suing ICE over his detention.

However, ICE insisted that the son was a gang member, and he remains in custody. His lawyers have disputed that claim and alleged government misconduct.

DCG