In those days, the LORD said:
“The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great,
and their sin so grave,
that I must go down and see whether or not their actions
fully correspond to the cry against them that comes to me.
I mean to find out.”
While Abraham’s visitors walked on farther toward Sodom,
the LORD remained standing before Abraham.
Then Abraham drew nearer and said:
“Will you sweep away the innocent with the guilty?
Suppose there were fifty innocent people in the city;
would you wipe out the place, rather than spare it
for the sake of the fifty innocent people within it?
Far be it from you to do such a thing,
to make the innocent die with the guilty
so that the innocent and the guilty would be treated alike!
Should not the judge of all the world act with justice?”
The LORD replied,
“If I find fifty innocent people in the city of Sodom,
I will spare the whole place for their sake.”
Abraham spoke up again:
“See how I am presuming to speak to my Lord,
though I am but dust and ashes!
What if there are five less than fifty innocent people?
Will you destroy the whole city because of those five?”
He answered, “I will not destroy it, if I find forty-five there.”
But Abraham persisted, saying “What if only forty are found there?”
He replied, “I will forbear doing it for the sake of the forty.”
Then Abraham said, “Let not my Lord grow impatient if I go on.
What if only thirty are found there?”
He replied, “I will forbear doing it if I can find but thirty there.”
Still Abraham went on,
“Since I have thus dared to speak to my Lord,
what if there are no more than twenty?”
The LORD answered, “I will not destroy it, for the sake of the twenty.”
But he still persisted:
“Please, let not my Lord grow angry if I speak up this last time.
What if there are at least ten there?”
He replied, “For the sake of those ten, I will not destroy it.”
But not even ten innocent people could be found in Sodom and Gomorrah.
And so, as recounted in Genesis 19:
17 And it came to pass, when they had brought them forth abroad, that he said, Escape for thy life; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain; escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed.
24 Then the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven;
25 And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.
Did you know that in 2011, archeologists had found evidence of the total annihilation of ancient Sodom and Gomorrah by a catastrophic “heat event”(“rained…brimstone and fire”) sometime in the late Bronze Age, ca. 1,600 BC?
That “fiery, civilization-ending cataclysm” covered Sodom and Gomorrah, as well as many satellite towns and villages (“those cities, and all the plain”), in heavy ash and rendered the entire area uninhabitable (“all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground”) for the next 600 years.
See my post of July 29, 2012, “Archeologists find evidence of the obliteration of Sodom-Gomorrah“.
St. Paul counseled us in Philippians 2:13 to “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” for, as Proverbs 1:7 and 14:27 instruct and warn us:
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
May the peace and love of Jesus Christ our Lord be with you,
See these other scientific confirmations of the Bible:
- Easter Sunday: The science of the miracle of the Resurrection
- Geologists’ discovery of fault line supports Mount of Olives as site of Second Coming
- The Epiphany: The Magi and the Christmas Star
- The child to be born will be the Son of God,” on DNA evidence of Virgin Birth
- Stunning new study found human and all animal species today originated only 100,000 to 200,000 years ago
- 3D image of Shroud of Turin man: This is what Jesus looks like!
- Unborn babies in womb distinguish between human faces and other shapes
- New evidence dates Shroud of Turin to time of Christ
- Yet more evidence dating Shroud of Turin to time of Christ
- Tomb of Christ in Church of Holy Sepulchre surrounded by electromagnetic field
- New evidence suggests ancient Tower of Babel was real
- Lying is a slippery slope: our brains become desensitized with repeated lying
- Scientists locate conscience in human brain
- Physicists discover humans have souls
- Proof of Soul’s Existence?
- Near death experiences prove we have a soul
- Study by 32 scientists shows there’s consciousness after death
- Bible vindicated by recent discovery of farming along Sea of Galilee 23,000 years ago
- New research on human hand proves humans did not evolve from chimps
- New research finds Earth’s core to be mostly sulphur, aka brimstone
- The Physics of Heaven
- CIA report on Noah’s Ark
- Wheels on the bottom of the Red Sea
- Geologists confirm Jesus crucified on Friday, April 3, 33 AD