Tag Archives: Facebook

Perpetually offended: Hobby Lobby cotton décor deemed “racist”

hobby lobby facebook cotton photo

Hobby Lobby’s offensive décor/Facebook photo

You do know that the fall season is approaching and people like to decorate with homey décor. Apparently anything related to the material “cotton” in its raw form is now raaaaaaaaacist and offensive. Some people need to get a new hobby.

From Yahoo: Crafts store Hobby Lobby is taking serious heat for a store display that one woman is calling “racist.”

On Thursday, Facebook user Daniell Rider posted a photo to Hobby Lobby’s Facebook page, of a vase of cotton flowers displayed in a Texas store. She captioned it, “This decor is WRONG on SO many levels. There is nothing decorative about raw cotton… A commodity which was gained at the expense of African-American slaves. A little sensitivity goes a long way. PLEASE REMOVE THIS ‘décor.’”

The $29.99 stems (marked down to $15 on the company website) was shared more than 15K times and earned 169K comments, an overwhelming majority of which ridiculed Rider for being “too sensitive” and a few that defended her stance.

“LOL likely written by someone wearing a cotton T-shirt and cotton jeans and cotton underwear,” wrote one Facebook user. “Must not of thought that one through,” wrote someone else.

“Boycott Hobby Lobby,” wrote another.

“This is crazy. Cotton is a fact of life,” added one. “People still pick it. That happened 150 years ago. Slaves also picked tobacco, harvested rice and many other things. We can’t just get rid of them. Well Lowe’s sells chains and rope. You think they should get rid of that too?

Hobby Lobby did not return Yahoo Lifestyle’s request for comment; however, cotton has been igniting backlash recently.

On Friday, Randy Lowry, the president of Lipscomb University in Nashville, sent an apology letter to African-American students who recently visited his home to discuss university life, some of whom objected to cotton-stalk centerpieces at the president’s home (although it’s unknown whether they were the same that were sold at Hobby Lobby).

“The content of the centerpieces was offensive, and I could have handled the situation with more sensitivity,” Lowry wrote. “I sincerely apologize for the discomfort, anger or disappointment we caused and solicit your forgiveness.”

DCG

Advertisements

Shocker, not: Refugees eyed in British subway terrorist attack

sadiq khan

From Fox News: Authorities named one of two Middle Eastern refugees believed to be responsible for last week’s London subway bombing, as new details emerged about their troubled time being fostered by a British couple previously honored by Queen Elizabeth II.

Yahyah Farroukh, 21, was identified as one of the suspects being held by London police, Sky News reported. Farroukh was arrested at a fried chicken shop, where he worked, in Hounslow in west London Saturday night. Suleman Sarwar, 43, who owns the chicken shop, said the 21-year-old suspect was arrested after he finished his shift.

“He was very normal,” Sarwar told Sky News. “I don’t know how long he worked here. It was surprising seeing him on the news.”

Farroukh’s Facebook profile indicated he was from Damascus and studied English in West Thamas College between 2013 and 2015. He was living in Stanwell, Surrey, where officials conducted a search on Sunday, but also most recently was registered to live with Penelope and Ronald Jones, who were honored by the queen for fostering more than 200 children – including refugees from Middle Eastern countries affected by conflicts. Another unidentified 18-year-old man who was arrested earlier in the day at Dover ferry port, where boats to France leave, was also fostered by the couple.

Both men are being held under the Terrorism Act and questioned by London police about Friday’s attack, when an improvised explosive device partially detonated aboard a subway train at Parsons Green station during morning rush hour, injuring 30 people.

But trouble with the couple’s foster children was reportedly visible beforehand – when police visited the Sunbury house two or three weeks ago, according to neighbor Stephen Griffiths.

“The police were there multiple times over the span of about a month — a few times a week,” Griffiths said. “You always think foster kids are going to have a bit of trouble, but you don’t think terrorism.”

The 18-year-old man is believed to be an Iraqi orphan who moved to the United Kingdom when he was 15 years old, after his parents died. The man was reportedly a “problem” for the foster parents and they had been contacting officials before the attack, according to the Telegraph. He lived with the Joneses, but hadn’t been arrested “in the last couple of weeks” despite the police activity at the Jones house, a Metropolitan Police spokeswoman told Sky News.

The news of frequent police visits could shed light on a tweet sent soon after the attack by President Trump in which he appeared to criticize British authorities for not acting sooner to prevent the attack.

“Another attack in London by a loser terrorist. These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!” Trump wrote.

Images of the 18-year-old suspect, who is believed to have planted the bomb, have not emerged.

ITV News, however, obtained CCTV footage showing a man near Joneses’ Sunbury house Friday morning carrying a bag from Lidl supermarket. Images after the device detonated on Friday showed it was carried in a Lidl bag.

ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, but British officials said there’s no proof yet the terror group was actively involved in the planning, preparation or carrying out of the attack. British Prime Minister Theresa May raised the city’s terror threat level to “critical” – meaning an attack is imminent – but downgraded it Sunday to “severe” – meaning an attack is highly likely.

“Severe still means that an attack is highly likely, so I would urge everybody to be vigilant but not alarmed,” Home Secretary Amber Rudd said.

DCG

Nation Anthem protestor Marshawn Lynch to get new reality show on Facebook

marshawn lynch ap photo

Marshawn Lynch enjoying a banana during the National Anthem/AP Photo

Marshawn Lynch is a NFL player who plays for the Oakland Raiders. I reported back in August that at the Oakland Raiders’ pre-season opener in Arizona, Marshawn Lynch didn’t stand during the National Anthem. He sat on a cooler eating a banana.

From my post:

Lynch previously backed Kaepernick, telling comedian Conan O’Brien in September 2016, “I’d rather see him take a knee than stand up, put his hands up and get murdered.”

“If you’re really not racist then you won’t see what he done, what he’s doing, as a threat to America, but just addressing a problem that we have,” Lynch said at the time.”

Facebook is rewarding him for his antics. Another show I won’t be watching.

From Seattle Times: Can’t get enough of Marshawn Lynch, the former Seattle Seahawks running back who now plays for some team in California? Well, you can soon watch him in a new reality show that will reportedly debut on Facebook’s recently launched Watch platformaccording to Reuters.

The news service reported that the social-media giant — which launched its new platform for U.S. users in August — is paying Time Warner’s Bleacher Report millions of dollars for the reality show featuring the Skittles-loving NFL player known as Beast Mode. The show, called “No Script,” consists of eight 10- to 15-minute mini-episodes featuring Lynch involved in various hijinks. The first episode will reportedly feature Lynch taking race-car driving lessons “until he ruins the tires of the car.”

Facebook’s purchase of the show, which will reportedly start streaming this month, underscores the intense battle among web-based media companies for original content and for viewers, Reuters reported.

“We think we have a big hit on our hands,” Rory Brown, president of Bleacher Report, told Reuters. “People are going to spend more time on Facebook because of it.”

DCG

Woman in a coma with brain cancer gives birth to 24-week-old baby

cure for carriePhoto of Life Lynn from Cure for Carrie Facebook page.

Your antidote to those who say “yay” to abortion.

From Fox News: A 37-year-old woman who has been in a coma since July, gave birth to a baby girl via emergency cesarean section on Wednesday, at just 24 weeks gestation. The baby, named Life Lynn, is the youngest of Carrie Deklyen’s six children, and weighs 1 lbs., 4 ounces.

Dekylen, of Wyoming, Michigan, discovered she was pregnant in April, just two weeks after being diagnosed with glioblastoma. She underwent two surgeries to remove the tumor and, along with her husband, Nick, chose to forego a clinical trial in order to protect the baby.

 “I asked her what she wanted to do. She said, ‘We are keeping it,’” Nick told ABC News on Aug. 15. “That was always my choice too, but I wanted her to decide because it was her life we were talking about.”

The family started the “Cure 4 Carrie” Facebook page and a GoFundMe page to keep supporters updated on Dekylen and Life. A September 2 post indicated that Dekylen, who has been on life support at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor since suffering a stroke five weeks ago, is completely unresponsive.

“I just spoke with Nick and he wanted me to update,” Sonya Nelson, Deklyen’s sister-in-law, posted on the Facebook page. “We have tried to share Carrie’s story without being negative, but the bottom line is we need to share the reality of the situation. Carrie is not doing well. For the past few days she has been completely unresponsive, she is not even responding to pain.”

Nelson said that Life was measuring in the 3 percentile for her gestational age at the time, and that the family was asking for prayers. On Thursday, Nelson said that doctors were pleased with Life’s status.

Previous posts had stated that Dekylen’s tumor was showing rapid growth, and doctors were forced to drain fluid from her brain several times. Doctors had hoped to delay delivery until 28 weeks gestation, but a decline in both Life and Dekylen’s health had forced them to act earlier. A post on July 30 said doctors had planned to turn off life support once the baby had been delivered.

In addition to Life, the couple’s children range in ages from 18 to 2, and Nick said that while the older ones understand the circumstances, the younger ones are relatively unaware.

“The older ones obviously understand everything so it is very hard on them,” he told ABC News. “They love their mother and know what they are losing. We talk about good times and laugh and then sometimes we just cry because we just so much. The younger two do not really understand what is happening.”

He said Nelson has been helping to watch the children, and that “we tell them that Mommy is really sick.”

DCG

Student who mocked ISIS on Facebook is investigated for “Islamophobia”

islam-religion-of-peace

From The Independent: A student who mocked Isis on Facebook is being investigated over claims his post put “minority students at risk and in a state of panic and fear.”

Robbie Travers, a 21-year-old third-year law student, is being probed by the University of Edinburgh over claims he committed a “hate crime,” even though no criminal investigation by the police has taken place.

The complaint came when he shared a comment after the US Air Force dropped a massive ordnance air blast (MOAB, or “mother of all bombs”) on a network of Isis tunnels in Afghanistan in April.

Mr. Travers wrote on Facebook: “Excellent news that the US administration and Trump ordered an accurate strike on an Isis network of tunnels in Afghanistan. I’m glad we could bring these barbarians a step closer to collecting their 72 virgins”.

Esme Allman, a second-year history student, accused Mr. Travers of “blatant Islamophobia.”

In a complaint to the university seen by The Times, Ms. Allman wrote: “Not only do I believe this behaviour to be in breach of the student code of conduct, but his decision to target the BME (Black and Minority Ethnic) Liberation Group at the University of Edinburgh, and how he has chosen to do so, puts minority students at risk and in a state of panic and fear while attending the University of Edinburgh.”

But Mr. Travers said the complaint against him came in retaliation to him pointing out how Ms. Allman had allegedly referred to black men as “trash,” before adding “all men are trash.”

A spokesman for the university confirmed complains alleging misconduct against Mr. Travers were being investigated, telling the paper: “We are committed to providing an environment in which all members of the university community treat each other with dignity and respect and our code of student conduct sets out clear expectations of behaviour.”

DCG

Guess who is to blame: Nobel Prize winners predict the end of the world

drama

Any wonder why we believe that liberalism is a mental disorder?

From NY Post: A group of 50 Nobel Prize winners has spoken out to reveal the 10 greatest threats to mankind. In a survey, the brainiacs revealed fears that nuclear war, environmental disaster and even Facebook pose a risk to the future of our species.

Times Higher Education asked the eggheads about the “biggest threat to mankind.”

The experts who responded are known as laureates and represent one-quarter of the living Nobel Prize winners in chemistry, physics, physiology, medicine and economics — making them arguably some of the smartest people in the world.

Just over a third (34 percent) said population rise or environmental degradation represented the gravest apocalyptic risk. In second place was nuclear war, followed by infectious disease and drug-resistant bugs.

Artificial intelligence was also highlighted as a risk, as well as selfishness, inequality, terrorism and even Donald Trump.

Facebook and drugs were also named as threats, coming in at joint 10th place after both being identified by one respondent.

“Humans are very busy with the greatest climate change experiment since the ice ages,” John Mather, a senior scientist in cosmology at NASA, told Times Higher Education, which carried out the survey.

Another responder who was not named said there were “several low probability but quite existential threats to humanity, including pandemics, nuclear war, and artificial intelligence.”

With tensions between nuclear-armed North Korea and the United States reaching a boiling point, it’s little wonder that 23 percent said nuclear war could bring about doomsday.

One Israeli laureate was particularly concerned about “warmonger dictators,” while a German participant was nervous about “populist regimes in possession of nuclear weapons.”

Two people specifically mentioned Trump as a threat to humanity. “I don’t think science can do much about him,” one said.

However, some of the scientists feel we could survive and even thrive after the apocalypse. One of the laureates said: “The human species is so successful in making the world a better place.”

Even if we do destroy the world or cause a mass extinction that makes it uninhabitable, humans could survive by jetting off into space.

“The ultimate insurance policy is to make humanity a multiplanet species,” one laureate said. “And science obviously has a big role to play in that.”

Elon Musk is one of many people who are already thinking about this idea. Musk has previously claimed Mars is “a fixer-upper of a planet” and even suggested dropping nuclear bombs on its surface to heat up the atmosphere and make it suitable for human colonization.

DCG

L’Oreal fires “transgender” model who said all white people are racist

munroe bergdorf

Munroe Bergdorf: Out of a job

Girl bye.

From NY Post: French cosmetics giant L‘Oreal fired its first transgender model to appear on a British advertising campaign after she described all white people as racist on Facebook.

London-based model Munroe Bergdorf announced on her Facebook page on Aug. 27 that she was to be part of the French cosmetics brand’s new advertising campaign celebrating diversity.

In an online message that later appeared on Friday to have been deleted, Bergdorf said, according to the Daily Mail newspaper: “Honestly I don’t have energy to talk about the racial violence of white people any more. Yes ALL white people.”

L‘Oreal’s UK unit said on its Twitter page it had decided to terminate her contract: “L‘Oreal champions diversity. Comments by Munroe Bergdorf are at odds with our values and so we have decided to end our partnership with her.

In a post on her page on Friday, Bergdorf criticized the Daily Mail article and sought to defend her comments, which she said were a reaction to the violence of white supremacists in Charlottesville, Virginia.

“When I stated that ‘all white people are racist,’ I was addressing that fact that western society as a whole, is a SYSTEM rooted in white supremacy — designed to benefit, prioritize and protect white people before anyone of any other race,” she said.

DCG