The Obama administration has been itching to go to war with Russia — first, over Ukraine/Crimea; then, over Syria because the Russian military actually attacks ISIS and the jihadist Syrian “rebels” while Obama (and Israel and Saudi Arabia) wants to topple Syria’s Assad government who is friendly toward Christians.
See “U.S. breaks off talks with Russia, as Russians prepare for war with massive civil defense drill”
The latest “reason” is the Obama administration’s accusation that Russia hacked the emails of the DNC, then-secretary of state Hillary Clinton, and John Podesta, the chair of Hillary’s presidential campaign campaign — emails that WikiLeaks has been leaking, to the Dems’ embarrassment.
See, for example:
But according to WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange, it was a murdered DNC staffer who was the source of leaked DNC emails.
Now comes ominous news that the CIA is preparing to launch a cyber attack on Russia.
NBC News reports, Oct. 14, 2016:
The Obama administration is contemplating an unprecedented cyber covert action against Russia in retaliation for alleged Russian interference in the American presidential election, U.S. intelligence officials told NBC News.
Current and former officials with direct knowledge of the situation say the CIA has been asked to deliver options to the White House for a wide-ranging “clandestine” cyber operation designed to harass and “embarrass” the Kremlin leadership.
The sources did not elaborate on the exact measures the CIA was considering, but said the agency had already begun opening cyber doors, selecting targets and making other preparations for an operation. Former intelligence officers told NBC News that the agency had gathered reams of documents that could expose unsavory tactics by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Vice President Joe Biden told “Meet the Press” moderator Chuck Todd on Friday that “we’re sending a message” to Putin and that “it will be at the time of our choosing, and under the circumstances that will have the greatest impact.” [But] When asked if the American public will know a message was sent, the vice president replied, “Hope not.”
[…] Sean Kanuck, who was until this spring the senior U.S. intelligence official responsible for analyzing Russian cyber capabilities, said not mounting a response would carry a cost.
“If you publicly accuse someone,” he said, “and don’t follow it up with a responsive action, that may weaken the credible threat of your response capability.”
President Obama will ultimately have to decide whether he will authorize a CIA operation. Officials told NBC News that for now there are divisions at the top of the administration about whether to proceed.
[…] Former CIA deputy director Michael Morell expressed skepticism that the U.S. would go so far as to attack Russian networks.
“Physical attacks on networks is not something the U.S. wants to do because we don’t want to set a precedent for other countries to do it as well, including against us,” he said. “My own view is that our response shouldn’t be covert — it should overt, for everybody to see.” [Good luck with that, Morrell, because this news of CIA prepping cyber war is out. -Eowyn]
The Obama administration is debating just that question, officials say — whether to respond to Russia via cyber means, or with traditional measures such as sanctions.
The CIA’s cyber operation is being prepared by a team within the CIA’s Center for Cyber Intelligence, documents indicate. According to officials, the team has a staff of hundreds and a budget in the hundreds of millions, they say. […]
While the National Security Agency is the center for American digital spying, the CIA is the lead agency for covert action and has its own cyber capabilities. […] According to documents leaked by Edward Snowden, the CIA requested $685.4 million for computer network operations in 2013, compared to $1 billion by the NSA.
Retired Gen. Mike Hayden, who ran the CIA after leading the NSA, wrote this year: “We even had our own cyber force, the Information Operations Center (IOC), that former CIA director George Tenet launched and which had grown steadily under the next spy chief, Porter Goss, and me. The CIA didn’t try to replicate or try to compete with NSA… the IOC was a lot like Marine Corps aviation while NSA was an awful lot like America’s Air Force.”
Does Obama seriously think Russia won’t counterattack if the U.S. launches a cyber attack? And are we prepared to withstand cyber war with Moscow (and perhaps China, too), given head of Cyber Command and director of the National Security Agency Gen. Keith Alexander’s warning in February 2014 that the U.S. military is not prepared for cyber war?
War with Russia will also be Obama’s perfect excuse to suspend the November election.
Please follow and like us:
Posted in 2016 Election, Barack Obama, CIA, Islamic State/ISIS/ISIL, Israel, Liberals/Democrats/Left, Military, NSA, Saudi Arabia, Syria war, United States
Tagged cyber war
Oh joy. 🙁
Meanwhile, warmongers like RINO Sen. John McCain are agitating for yet another war — in Syria — and the Obama regime has already positioned us for that war by deploying the US Army’s 1st Armored Division headquarters to Syria’s next door neighbor, Jordan.
H/t FOTM’s igor.
By Olivier Knox, Yahoo! News | The Ticket – Tue, May 28, 2013
Chinese hackers have compromised the designs of some of America’s most sensitive and advanced weapons systems—including vital parts of the nation’s missile defenses, fighter aircraft and warships—the Washington Post reported Tuesday.
The Post cited a report prepared for the Pentagon by the Defense Science Board, which groups government officials and private sector experts. The document, “Resilient Military Systems and the Advanced Cyber Threat,” paints a grim picture of cyber-espionage emanating from China only 10 days before President Barack Obama meets in California with Chinese President Xi Jinping for the first time.
“I’m sure it will be a topic of discussion,” White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
Beijing, riding a wave of robust economic growth, has been building up its military—and while the report does not accuse China’s government of stealing the designs, such intrusions could help the world’s most populous country enhance its armed forces.
The Post published the list of compromised systems here. It includes drone video systems, “directed energy” (a category that includes lasers and the like) and advanced Patriot missile systems. Also compromised were designs for the F/A 18 fighter jet, V-22 Osprey, F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters and the Navy’s new Littoral Combat Ship meant to prowl the coasts. The list also includes the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) designed to shoot down ballistic missiles.
The report coincided with an Australian news report that Chinese hackers illegally accessed the designs for the new top secret headquarters of Australia’s intelligence service, including communications cable layouts, server locations and security systems.
American officials have complained publicly and privately about Chinese cyber-espionage. Obama vowed in his State of the Union Address to take steps to protect the U.S. government and American businesses from such attacks—though he did not specifically name China, or Chinese hackers, as the main culprits.
But National Security Adviser Tom Donilon took aim at China in a blunt speech in March to the Asia Society in New York.
“From the president on down, this has become a key point of concern and discussion with China at all levels of our governments—and it will continue to be,” Donilon warned.
“The United States will do all it must to protect our national networks, critical infrastructure, and our valuable public and private sector property. But, specifically with respect to the issue of cyber-enabled theft, we seek three things from the Chinese side,” Donilon said. “First, we need a recognition of the urgency and scope of this problem and the risk it poses—to international trade, to the reputation of Chinese industry and to our overall relations. Second, Beijing should take serious steps to investigate and put a stop to these activities. Finally, we need China to engage with us in a constructive direct dialogue to establish acceptable norms of behavior in cyberspace.”
The White House declined to comment specifically on the report. But a spokeswoman for the National Security Council, Laura Lucas, noted that in general “cybersecurity is one of this administration’s top priorities, and we have long said that we are concerned about cyber intrusions emanating from China.”
“What we have been seeking from China is for it to investigate our concerns and to start a dialogue with us on cyber issues,” Lucas said, adding that the United States is “pleased” that China agreed last month to start a new working group to discuss the issue.
“Through such dialogue we seek longer-term changes in China’s behavior, including by working together to establish norms against the theft of trade secrets and confidential business information,” Lucas said. “This dialogue will take place within the context of our broader effort to build a cooperative partnership with China that solves shared global challenges.”
Please follow and like us:
Posted in Barack Obama, Congress, crime, Liberals/Democrats/Left, Military, Obama's America, Republican Party, Science & technology, United States, US Presidents
Tagged cyber war, President Xi Jinping
Obama administration asks Iran to, pretty please, return the drone. Iran says up yours. Go here for story.
An Iranian engineer says Iran had hijacked the US drone, by “spoofing” it into landing in enemy territory instead of its home base in Afghanistan. Go here for story.
Iran displays captured U.S. drone
The era of electronic warfare is on us.
That U.S. stealth drone captured by Iran last Sunday, Dec. 4, had been brought down by an electronic warfare ambush. This confirms Tehran’s claim that the top-secret RQ-170 Sentinel was downed by a cyber attack.
, December 8, 2011, that Iran exhibited the drone and its almost perfect condition refutes the US military contention that the Sentinel’s systems had malfunctioned. If this had happened, it would have crashed and either been wrecked or damaged.
The capture of the intact drone is a major debacle for the stealth technology the US uses in its warplanes and the drone technology developed by the US and Israel, who are now obliged to make major changes in plans for a potential strike against Iran’s nuclear program.
The Obama administration’s decision after internal debate not to send US commando or air units into Iran to retrieve or destroy the secret RQ-170 stealth drone which fell into Iranian hands has strengthened the hands of the Israeli faction which argues the case for striking Iran’s nuclear installations without waiting for the Americans to make their move.
Senior Israeli diplomatic and security officials who followed the discussion in Washington concluded that, by failing to act, the administration has left Iran not only with the secrets of the Sentinel’s stealth coating, its sensors and cameras, but also with the data stored in its computer cells on targets marked out by the US and/or Israeli for attack.
Like every clandestine weapons system, the RQ-170 had a self-destruct mechanism to prevent its secrets spilling out to the enemy in the event of a crash or capture. This did not happen.
Tehran claimed the spy drone was only slightly damaged when they downed it.
How did Iran know the drone had entered its airspace? How was it caused to land? Most of all, why did the craft’s self-destruct mechanism which is programmed to activate automatically fail to work? And if it malfunctioned, why was it not activated by remote control?
A senior Israeli security official had this to say: “Everything that’s happened around the RQ-170 shows that when it comes to Iran and its nuclear program, the Obama administration and Israel have different objectives. On this issue, each country needs to go its own way.”
That sounds ominous….
UPDATE (Dec. 11, 2011):
The AFP reports
from Tehran that Iranian military officials confirm that the drone — displaying little damage in state media images – had not been shot down as first asserted, but rather had its controls hacked by a Revolutionary Guards cyber unit.
For their part, Obama administration officials are skeptical at Iran’s claims that it had broken through encryption technology to seize control of the aircraft, instead hypothesizing that the drone suffered a malfunction. But none was able to explain how the drone – programmed to either automatically return to its base in Afghanistan or possibly even self-destruct – was recovered by the Iranians.
Please follow and like us:
Posted in Islam, Liberals/Democrats/Left, Military, United States, US Presidents
Tagged cyber war, Iran, Iran's nuclear program, Israel, Obama administration, RQ-170 Sentinel, stealth technology
Experts say a lot of data may have been accessed by China (Reuters)
We’ve been warned about this for some months now, but it appears that the reality of Cyber War has arrived.
Seven months ago, on April 8, 2010, 15% of the world’s Internet activity somehow was re-routed to Chinese servers, including data from Pentagon and NASA.
But we’re only just being told about this.
As reported by ABC’s Lisa Millar
on November 18, 2010:
The United States has revealed the details of a startling breakdown in cyber security in April, when 15 per cent of the world’s internet traffic was diverted through China. Experts describe it as one of the biggest redirections of internet data they have ever seen.
For 18 minutes on April 8, emails and internet material sent from the Pentagon and NASA were re-routed via Chinese servers.
A US government report blames China Telecom, but does not say why it might have happened or whether it was done intentionally. But experts say it is a sign of the security risks ahead.
The Heritage Foundation’s Dean Cheng, who specialises in Chinese political and security affairs, says a lot of data may have been accessed by China. “There are instances where situations are not necessarily the deliberate result of government decisions, but that doesn’t make them an accident,” he said. “Particularly when you are talking about 15 per cent of the global internet traffic. If it had been going on for a few minutes, that would be one thing as servers simply got overwhelmed. That it went on for so long would suggest that that’s a lot of data that could be scooped up.” Mr Cheng is convinced a lot of that data has now been archived in China and is slowly being studied. He says even the encrypted material would eventually be broken down.
Dale Meyerrose, a former chief information officer for the director of national intelligence, says this is a serious threat. “What we’re seeing here is a technique that may have in fact … have been a cover for something else,” he said. “In my 35 years of dealing with this, there’s an intended consequence and a series of unintended consequences and I think they always play out in these sorts of things.”
Mr Cheng says it is not just a US problem. “It’s not simply American information that has been made vulnerable, but that of our allies, including Australia.”
China has denied it hijacked the internet but the incident has added to global concerns about cyber security. US defence secretary Robert Gates this week described potential attacks as a huge future threat and a considerable current threat.
I don’t mean to be alarmist, but this shocking lapse in cyber-security — together with rising trade and currency tensions with China, as well as speculations that the so-called “contrail” seen off the coast of Los Angeles on November 8 was actually an intercontinental ballistic missile fired from a Chinese submarine — sure makes one wonder if the United States is in an undeclared war with the People’s Republic.
Please follow and like us: