Tag Archives: #buildthewall

Sanctuary protection for illegal alien deported 20 times: Sentenced for Portland sexual assault

illegal sergio martinez multnomah county sheriff's office photo

Free to roam in sanctuary Multnomah County: Illegal alien Sergio Martinez/Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office Photo

From KGW8 News: (PORTLAND, Ore.) A man with a long criminal history, deported 20 times, was sentenced Friday to 35 years in prison after breaking into a woman’s home last summer.

Sergio Jose Martinez, 31, thensexually assaulted the 65-year-old woman and stole her car. He was arrested after assaulting a second woman and running from police. Martinez, 31, was caught July 24 after officers chased him through a neighborhood.

According to court documents filed in March 2017, Martinez has a history of illegal entry into the United States. He has been a transient in the Portland area for more than a year and has been deported 20 times.

Martinez has at least five probation violations for re-entering the United States. His most recent removal was in November 2016, according to the March court documents.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) lodged an immigration detainer against Martinez, asking authorities to notify them before releasing Martinez to allow ICE to take him into custody. The Department of Homeland Security said a detainer was requested for Martinez in December 2016, but he was released into the community and authorities did not notify ICE.

Earlier this year, Multnomah County leaders and Sheriff Mike Reese wrote a letter to the community saying, “The Sheriff’s Office does not hold people in county jails on ICE detainers or conduct any immigration enforcement actions.”

Prior to the July 24 arrest, Martinez’s criminal record showed a felony conviction for burglary and three misdemeanor convictions for battery, theft, and obstructing a public officer. The court document also said he told investigators in March that he has a long history of using methamphetamine and was currently using on a daily basis.

The new charges Martinez was convicted of include first-degree kidnapping, first-degree robbery (two counts), second-degree assault, first-degree sex abuse, first-degree sodomy and first-degree burglary.

Police said Martinez broke into the 65-year-old woman’s home in the 1700 block of Northeast Irving Street and physically and sexually assaulted her before stealing her 2011 silver Toyota Prius.

Court documents said Martinez entered the woman’s bedroom through a window that she left open due to the heat. He spoke “calmly and quietly,” ordering the woman onto the ground, where he tied her hands and feet, and blindfolded her.

Martinez threatened to kill the woman while he sexually assaulted her, according to the probable cause affidavit. Before he left, he punched her in the head several times and slammed her head onto a wood floor.

Martinez left, taking the woman’s phone with him. She went to a neighbor’s house to call 911. Police responded to the home just after 6 a.m. The woman’s car was found that evening near Southeast 99th Avenue and Stark Street.

Later that night, officers were called to a reported disturbance between a man and a woman in the basement of a parking garage near the 2100 block of Northeast Halsey Street. Police said the Martinez was armed with a knife and he assaulted the woman.

DCG

Advertisements

Adios: ICE sweep leads to over 200 arrests – many convicted criminals – in L.A.

deport t-shirt

From Fox News: Federal deportation officers staged a massive enforcement action  against businesses in Los Angeles this week, arresting 212 people and serving audit notices to 122 businesses that must prove they aren’t hiring illegals, according to a report on Friday in The Washington Times.

The paper said that nearly all of those arrested were convicted criminals, according to  Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The paper said ICE targeted Los Angeles because it’s a sanctuary city, which means it won’t fully cooperate with federal authorities on deportations from within its jails. As a consequence, officers have to go into the community to take action, said Thomas D. Homan, the agency’s deputy director.

“Fewer jail arrests mean more arrests on the street, and that also requires more resources, which is why we are forced to send additional resources to those areas to meet operational needs and officer safety,” Mr. Homan told The Times. “Consistent with our public safety mission, 88 percent of those arrested during this operation were convicted criminals.”

The actions and notices came even as Congress was debating — and failing to pass — immigration reform legislation.

DCG

“Grossly impaired” illegal alien blamed for crash that killed three-year-old child

illegal jose romero winston-salem police dept photo

Illegal alien Jose Romero/Winston-Salem Police Dept. photo

From Fox News: An unlicensed illegal immigrant was “grossly impaired” when he crashed into an ambulance and killed a 3-year-old boy, court papers say.

The boy, from Wise, Va., died Monday, a day after the crash. He was with his mother in the ambulance when it was struck and rolled over in Winston-Salem, N.C. Lyndsay Ann Oakes, 27, suffered minor injuries. The boy was not identified.

Jose Duran Romero, 27, blew a 0.19 on a breathalyzer nearly two hours after the crash, more than twice the legal limit, FOX8 Winston-Salem reported late Monday.

Court papers say Romero, who was behind the wheel of a Honda Accord even though he had never owned a driver’s license, had “bloodshot, glassy eyes,” slurred his speech and looked “grossly impaired,” according to the station.

Romero was also in the country illegally, the station reported.

Federal authorities lodged an immigration detainer against him after his arrest. They said he was from El Salvador.

The ambulance was taking the boy and his mother to a trauma center.

Gary Oakes said Monday his grandson had been under medical care before the crash but didn’t want to elaborate. Asked how the family was coping, Oakes said, “It’s devastating.”

Lyndsay Ann Oakes asked for privacy on her Facebook page.

Police said the Honda was traveling south on U.S. 52 at around 1 a.m. Sunday when it rammed into the side of the ambulance which was also going south. The two paramedics in the ambulance were treated for minor injuries, the Winston-Salem Journal reported Tuesday.

A police spokesman told the paper Romero and a passenger in the Honda, Andres Leon, 33, fled after the crash. One was caught right away by a person who saw the crash and held for cops. The other man was captured by police a short time later.

Romero was charged with driving while intoxicated and driving without a license. He was being held without bail after bail had been set and then revoked. It was unclear if the charges would be upgraded as a result of the child’s death.

Leon was being held on $1,000 bail after being charged with failure to render aid and to provide information.

DCG

Illegal alien charged in Tukwila murder had been on ICE radar for months

sanctuary now

This illegal alien had previously been deported four times and now sits in King County Regional Justice Center on a $2M bail.  Tukwila is in King County, which known for protecting illegals.

From KOMO TV: A Tukwila man accused of killing his cousin had been on the radar of Immigrations and Customs Enforcement for months.

Rosalio Ramos-Ramos, 37, was being sought by Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) late last year and was almost turned over when an apparent lack of communication between police and Harborview Medical Center resulted in his discharge from the Seattle trauma hospital, Kent police said.

Chief Ken Thomas said police arrested Ramos-Ramos in October after he reported being involved in a sexual assault. Officers did not find any evidence of an assault, but found a drug pipe and a small amount of methamphetamine on Ramos-Ramos. They booked him into the Kent Jail in connection with misdemeanor drug possession, Thomas said.

Once at the jail Ramos-Ramos told officers he wanted to die then started fighting with corrections staff. Ramos-Ramos he said was taken to a nearby hospital then to Harborview for a head injury, according to Thomas.

While Ramos-Ramos was at Harborview police learned his identity. Thomas said officers were soon contacted by Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE). “We initially did not reach out to ICE,” Thomas said. “They looked out at the booking log, saw he was in custody and they reached out to us.”

According to ICE, hospitals are “sensitive locations,” places they don’t take enforcement action unless exigent circumstances exist.

Jorge Baron, executive director of the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, says he’s seen ICE take people into custody at hospitals. “The general policy of ICE about the fact there are some situations and locations where they’re generally not going to make arrests, but there are exceptions to that policy,” Baron said.

Kent police said they called Harborview daily to keep tabs on Ramos Ramos, but he was released without them knowing.

An ICE spokeswoman told KOMO over the phone Friday that the agency didn’t have information on the Tukwila man. When asked about why ICE didn’t put an officer at the hospital to watch over Ramos Ramos, she questioned why Kent police didn’t do the same.

Thomas told KOMO he has a small department and can’t take an officer off the streets for several days to watch over a man accused of committing misdemeanor crimes in his city. He said they promised to keep tabs on Ramos Ramos on behalf of ICE by calling the hospital. He said they planned to pick the man up once he was discharged and turn him over to the feds.

“I believe this person needed to be off the streets. He had been deported four times prior, he is a convicted felon and he’s a very violent person,” Thomas told KOMO during an interview on Thursday.

Harborview, in a statement, said they had no duty to give information to police over the phone. “When we care for patients who are incarcerated or under the custody of law enforcement, it is the role of the law enforcement agency to guard the patient while they are hospitalized. This particular patient was not under guard when he was released from the medical center last fall after five days of hospitalization. We also follow federal privacy laws that dictate the amount and type of patient medical information that we can release.”

King County Senior Deputy Prosecutor Scott O’Toole said in the second-degree murder charges he filed against Ramos-Ramos that the man has multiple aliases and birthdates. He told KOMO that the man’s green card appears to be fraudulent.

h/t Weasel Zippers

DCG

Illegal alien begins seven-year sentence for attempted poisoning at Florida restaurant

illegal padilla polk county sheriffs office photo

Illegal alien Padilla now receiving care via your tax dollars/Polk County Sheriff’s Office photo

As a result of his criminal actions, the illegal alien will now have “three hots and a cot” courtesy of us taxpayers. Ain’t America grand for illegals?

From Miami Herald: Pleading guilty to putting lye in sauce led to a seven-year prison sentence for a Florida restaurant worker — and possibly more punitive action at the federal level. Margarito Padilla began serving his sentence Monday, according to Florida Department of Corrections records.

On Tuesday, Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Tampa office filed a detainer on the 54-year-old Guadalajara, Mexico, native, meaning ICE wants to know when Padilla finishes doing his time.

Padilla’s employment at a Hibachi Express in Lakeland ended last June, after franchise owner Zhong Jiang thought the Yum-Yum sauce refrigerated in a 55-gallon barrel didn’t look so yummy. He took a taste off a single-dipped finger.

“The victim’s mouth immediately began burning and he described the pain as a cutting of his tongue and mouth,” the arrest report read.

After asking the employees about the sauce and getting no explanation, Jiang announced he was calling police. Padilla asked Jiang to refrain from calling the cops, heightening Jiang’s suspicion, according to the report.

Via surveillance video review, Jiang saw Padilla kneeling next to where the restaurant kept the Plumbers Choice Lye industrial strength drain cleaner. He noticed a flat pocket when Padilla first kneeled and a bulging pocket when he rose. The pocket deflated to flat after Padilla swung by a sink briefly holding a container of Yum-Yum sauce.

When first interviewed by Lakeland police, Padilla denied anything before cops played the video. He then admitted he had contaminated the sauce because he was angry at Jiang over working conditions.

He said he used only a small amount despite being able to read the warning on the lye bottle, “DANGER POISON HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED CAUSES SEVERE BURNS.”

On the arrest report, though a Lakeland address is listed for Padilla, Lakeland police wrote, “The defendant is considered transient and has a documented history of providing false names/info to law enforcement.”

DCG

Sanctuary benefit: Oregon hospital denies illegal alien a liver transplant then terminates its “archaic” policy

lesama-santos illegal alien go fund me photo

Photo from GoFundMe

Wonder how many US citizens she gets to bypass for her new liver.

From Fox News: An Oregon hospital who denied an illegal immigrant a liver transplant due to her lack of citizenship later terminated the policy.

Silvia Lesama-Santos, 46, who’s said to be in “critical condition,” was denied a liver transplant on Monday from the Oregon Health & Sciences University (OHSU) in Portland, Fox 12 Oregon reported, citing a press release from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Oregon.

The hospital sent the stay-at-home mother of four a letter explaining that since she does not have a “lawful presence or immigration documentation” in the U.S., she could not receive the transplant as hospital policy “requires proof” for transplant operations.

Lesama-Santos, a resident of the Portland area for more than 30 years, has health insurance through her husband’s employer, according to a copy of the letter published by the ACLU.

The hospital stated that Lesama-Santos could restart the process for requesting a liver transplant “when your situation has changed and you meet the above requirements.”

On the same day the ACLU released its statement — and called for the hospital to change its rules — OHSU terminated its policy barring illegal immigrants from receiving transplants.

“It was brought to our attention this evening that an archaic transplant policy was preventing an undocumented individual illegal alien from being evaluated at OHSU,” a hospital statement read. “Upon learning of the policy, OHSU leaders acted immediately and terminated the policy. We deeply regret the pain this has caused the family.”

The hospital said that “all are welcome at OHSU, and this policy does not reflect our values.”

“The OHSU transplant team is informing the family of our change in policy… OHSU’s legal team has begun a system-wide audit to ensure no other such policies exist,” the statement read.

A GoFundMe account(seeking $10,000) created by Lesama-Santos’ oldest son said that his mother will start “the transplant process,” which an ACLU spokesperson confirmed to OregonLive.com on Wednesday.

Lesama-Santos was reportedly accepted to undergo the transplant at a Seattle hospital, but the ACLU said it’s unclear whether she’s healthy enough to travel to Washington, or to even get the transplant in Portland.

h/t Laura

DCG

Colts player Edwin Jackson, Avon man killed by suspected drunken driver in country illegally

From Indy Star:

UPDATE: The driver accused of killing Indianapolis Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson and Uber driver Jeffrey Monroe was an undocumented immigrant who used a fake name and has been deported twice in the past.

Indiana State Police detectives have determined the driver was 37-year-old Manuel Orrego-Savala, a citizen of Guatemala. He gave police the alias Alex Cabrera Gonsales after the early Sunday crash that killed Jackson and Monroe.

Officials said he had been deported in 2007 and in 2009.

Original story: Indianapolis Colts player Edwin Jackson and an Uber driver were both killed early Sunday after being struck by a suspected drunken driver along Interstate 70.

According to the Indiana State Police, the crash happened shortly before 4 a.m. Sunday along the westbound lanes of I-70, just west of Holt Road.

Police said Jackson and 54-year-old Jeffrey Monroe of Avon were standing near a stopped vehicle when a black Ford F-150 pickup truck drove onto the emergency shoulder and struck them both.

“Edwin was an amazing young man that filed our lives with joy and pride,” his family said in a statement to 11alive.com. “He was kind, thoughtful, humble, passionate about football and loved his family. We ask that all who were blessed to have crossed his path remember him and his amazing smile.”

Read the rest of the story here.

DCG