Why do we do the things we do to our bodies and to our minds?
- Gluttony, bloating our bodies and straining our hearts.
- Drugs and Alcohol, to lose our minds and our selves.
- Tattoos and Piercings and Cosmetic Surgeries to inflict pain for no good reason.
- Pornography, that corrupts our minds and distorts our view of men and women.
- Sexual promiscuity, treating our own bodies and those of others as trash. (For an extreme example, see “Depraved nacho party”)
1 Corinthians 6:12-18
All things are lawful for me,
but all things are not helpful….
Now the body is not for sexual immorality
but for the Lord,
and the Lord for the body.
And God both raised up the Lord
and will also raise us up by His power.
Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ?
Shall I then take the members of Christ
and make them members of a harlot?
Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot
is one body with her?
For “the two,” He says, “shall become one flesh.”
But he who is joined to the Lord
is one spirit with Him.
Flee sexual immorality.
Every sin that a man does is outside the body,
but he who commits sexual immorality
sins against his own body.
Or do you not know that
your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit
who is in you,
whom you have from God,
and you are not your own?
For you were purchased at a price;
therefore glorify God
in your body and in your spirit,
which are God’s.