Sunday Devotional: What type of soil are you?

This post was first published three years ago on July 16, 2017. I’m re-publishing it because Matthew 13 is today’s reading, and to remember one of FOTM’s loyal readers, Lophatt (his comment below), who departed from our troubled world last October. I trust he’s in a much better place, with our sweet Lord.

Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23

On that day, Jesus went out of the house and sat down by the sea.
Such large crowds gathered around him
that he got into a boat and sat down,
and the whole crowd stood along the shore.
And he spoke to them at length in parables, saying:
“A sower went out to sow.
And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path,
and birds came and ate it up.
Some fell on rocky ground, where it had little soil.
It sprang up at once because the soil was not deep,
and when the sun rose it was scorched,
and it withered for lack of roots.
Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it.
But some seed fell on rich soil, and produced fruit,
a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold.
Whoever has ears ought to hear.”

Hear then the parable of the sower.
The seed sown on the path is the one
who hears the word of the kingdom without understanding it,
and the evil one comes and steals away
what was sown in his heart.
The seed sown on rocky ground
is the one who hears the word and receives it at once with joy.
But he has no root and lasts only for a time.
When some tribulation or persecution comes because of the word,
he immediately falls away.
The seed sown among thorns is the one who hears the word,
but then worldly anxiety and the lure of riches choke the word
and it bears no fruit.
But the seed sown on rich soil
is the one who hears the word and understands it,
who indeed bears fruit and yields a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold.”

Let us strive to be “rich soil” who really hears and takes our Lord’s words to heart.

And if we are “rich soil,” just remember that He expects much from us, for to whom much is given, much is expected.

So use the gifts He’s given us — wholly undeserved — wisely and well, so that we each will “bear fruit” of “a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold”!

And remember, always, to tell the Triune Godhead that we love Him with our whole heart, our whole mind, our whole soul, and with all our strength.
May the peace and love of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!

RLJohnson77
3 years ago

I guess I am partially rocky but being tilled daily.

RLJohnson77
3 years ago

. I wouldn’t say that I am humble. the more time I spend in Scripture, the more I realize I am a fallen individual. Only through repentance and Trust can I help my head up

muchmadness
Editor
3 years ago

Your garden is amazing – a fine metaphor for your very fruitful spiritual work.

Alma
Alma
3 years ago

HE has made it possible for us to be here and plant HIS WORD.

Alma
Alma
3 years ago

Dr. Eowyn the picture is a reflection of today’s devotional. Beautiful, peaceful, clean. Thank you.

Alma
Alma

? Amén.

Rocky
Rocky
3 years ago

This parable goes deep. True we should strive to be “rich soil.” However the sower seems careless, like he doesn’t care where the seed lands. The average sower would be more fussy. It’s like God is spreading His love everywhere even among the thorns. Those outside of the rich soil may seem like a lost cause, but with God there’s always hope.

MomOfIV
MomOfIV
3 years ago

beautiful devotional Dr. Eowyn and beautiful garden as well…
I too, strive to be rich soil for my Lord, fellow Christians, and non-believers.
Thank you for your weekly devotionals…or weekly fertilizer for our souls.
I believe the blood of our Lord fertilizes our souls every second of the day.
Also, “May the peace and love of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!”

Margarita Macaria
3 years ago

Thank you, Dr. Eowyn for this beautiful reflection on this, the 15th Sunday in Ordinary Time. God bless you.

lophatt
lophatt
3 years ago

Yes, “The Sower” parable is very profound. We spoke of this for quite some time at Mass today. It is just as true and fresh as if it had been told yesterday. There is no such thing as “too much” reflection on the Parables.

dkolb2010
dkolb2010
stevenbroiles
3 years ago

I have been the seed that was thrown on the path, I have been the seed that grew up in rocky soil, and I have been the seed that was choked by the thorns. I do not deny my guilt: I do not understand it. I have known existential alienation and skepticism. I have known its disgust and its anomie. Many people say they have been suffering from “depression.” I’ve known that, too. But after all these years, witnessing the “vulgarity circus” this society has become, I know I suffer from ACEDIA—a spiritual torpor of grief and sloth, a paralysis… Read more »

RLJohnson77
Reply to  stevenbroiles

Your describing the sin of Sloth. “A sin that believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing, interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing, and remains alive because there is nothing for which it will die.”
This long predates Marx, Darwin, Freud and Nietzsche.

stevenbroiles
Reply to  RLJohnson77

Yes. I believe that THIS is EXACTLY what Adam & Eve felt once they heard that they were about to be expelled from the Garden of Eden.

Alma
Alma
3 years ago

Novenas, it’s about 40 minutes in total embrace with prayers where my heart and soul are filled with peace. I dedicate that time to the followers of this site as well as all I know and myself. Hope the prayers reach you no matter how far we may be. Alma

stevenbroiles
3 years ago

God Knows I need them, Dr. E. Thank You. I have been beaten down by people and events. Now it’s triple-whammy time: The house has been sold and the new owners are predators, I got a Federal jury duty questionnaire, and I can’t get out of the car lease I’m in. But I keep on hanging in there. A man I used to know, by the nickname of Zippy, once told me, “Steve, you’re in a crisis. You got two choices—you can either hang in there or you can hang it up. And I know you’re not about to give… Read more »

3 years ago

What beautiful flowers, Dr. Eowyn! And I love the misty atmosphere in the photo.

Web Development
2 years ago

May our Lord Jesus Christ pour out His blessings on you. Steven,
I will now append you to my listing of people in my dawn prayers.

26 days ago

Amen!

Steven Broiles
25 days ago

I fear I grew prematurely old on Rocky soil. But I am a work in progress.

I am sorry to learn about Lophatt. I did not know. May God Rest his soul.