Luke 6:17, 20, 22-23, 26-28
Jesus came down with the twelve….
And raising his eyes toward his disciples he said:
“…Blessed are you when people hate you,
and when they exclude and insult you,
and denounce your name as evil
on account of the Son of Man.
Rejoice and leap for joy on that day!
Behold, your reward will be great in heaven.
For their ancestors treated the prophets in the same way….
Woe to you when all speak well of you,
for their ancestors treated the false prophets in this way.
But to you who hear I say,
love your enemies,
do good to those who hate you,
bless those who curse you,
pray for those who mistreat you.”
On June 28, 2006, then-Senator Barack Obama famously proclaimed, “Whatever we once were, we are no longer just a Christian nation”.
Eight years of his presidency only worked to further de-Christianize America, seen most vividly among the young in the graph below (source: Washington Post).
In 2014, 82% of Americans 65 and older, but only 57% of Americans 18-29 identified themselves as Christians. Younger Americans increasingly identify themselves as religiously unaffiliated: 34% of those ages 18-29 vs. 11% of those 65 and older. As recently as the 1990s, less than 1 in 10 Americans claimed no religious affiliation. By 2014, the religiously unaffiliated increased to 22% of the U.S. population. According to Robert P. Jones, author of The End of White Christian America, by 2051, if current trends continue, religiously unaffiliated Americans could comprise as large a percentage of the population as all Protestants combined — a thought that would have been unimaginable just a few decades ago.
Nature abhors a vacuum.
What the graph and Jones fail to address is that, as Americans increasingly become religiously unaffiliated, witchcraft and satanism are surging:
- Millennials and women (feminists) are turning to witchcraft in alarming numbers.
- Halloween, a satanic “holy” day, has become Americans’ favorite holiday.
- Witches no longer lurk in the shadows but openly make their presence known, putting hexes on their political opponents and demonstrating their support for killing the unborn.
- Magazines (Vogue), fashion shows and designers (Gucci), and celebrities like Tom Brady and Hollywood stars (Christian Bale, Will Ferrell, Macauley Culkin, Brad Pitt) openly advocate witchcraft and satanism.
- Prominent politicians proclaim their nefarious allegiance: Hillary Clinton admitted to wanting to stick pins into voodoo dolls of her critics ; her daughter, Chelsea, wished the Church of Satan “happy new year”; satanists publicly endorsed Bernie Sanders for President.
- Satanism is advocated in schools, universities, museums, and city council meetings.
- Devil statues and pentagrams are erected in cities (Detroit; Florida) and state capitols (Arkansas).
As Christianity wanes, come the concomitant discriminaton against and persecution of Christians: bakers, teachers, Salvation Army bell-ringers. The homosexual director of Disney’s “Beauty and Beast” declared wanting to rip the Bible to pieces. Sen. Bernie Sanders actually said faithful Christians are racist bigots, unfit for public office. In fact, a 2017 report confirmed that the U.S. government’s hostility toward Christianity spiked under President Obama.
So we shouldn’t be surprised that we are hated and abused, for “If the world hate you, know ye, that it hath hated me before you.” (John 15:18)
For that hatred, we are told to “rejoice and leap for joy”. As Jeremiah 17:7-8 says:
Thus says the LORD:
Blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD,
whose hope is the LORD.
He is like a tree planted beside the waters
that stretches out its roots to the stream:
it fears not the heat when it comes;
its leaves stay green;
in the year of drought it shows no distress,
but still bears fruit.
May the peace and love of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you,