UPDATE (Oct. 9):
Justice Brett Kavanaugh is already at work! He hired his clerks — all women — and will participate in oral arguments before the Supreme Court today.
This afternoon, Brett Kavanaugh, 53, was sworn in as 114th Supreme Court justice, hours after the Senate voted 50-48 to confirm him.
Chief Justice John Roberts administered the constitutional oath and retired Justice Anthony Kennedy administered the judicial one.
The quick swearing-in enables Kavanaugh to begin work immediately in advance of arguments at the court Tuesday.
Kavanaugh’s wife, children and parents were in attendance. (New York Post)
The Senate voted today to confirm U.S. District Court Judge Brett Kavanaugh to be the next Associate Justice on the Supreme Court, replacing pro-abortion Justice Anthony Kennedy following his retirement.
Kavanaugh was confirmed on a 50-48 vote:
- All Democrat senators, except Joe Manchin (WV), voted “no” against Kavanaugh’s nomination.
- All Republican senators voted “yes,” except pro-abort Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), who voted “present”, and pro-life Steve Daines (Montana), who supported Kavanaugh but was absent due to his daughter’s wedding.
Kavanaugh secured enough votes yesterday when Senators Susan Collins (R) and Joe Manchin (D) agreed to support him.
Last night, Sen. Collins delivered an extended defense of Kavanaugh’s record and announced her intention to vote in favor of his confirmation. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) took to Twitter to praise Collins’ “strongly held principles” and to denounce the Left’s threats against Collins:
“Most will never know the full extent of the efforts to intimidate & threaten @SenatorCollins on the #Kavanaugh vote. I am not talking about political pressure or people screaming at her in an elevator. I am talking about vicious, vile & dangerous actions.”
On Twitter, deranged Leftists call Collins a “traitor to women”, a “rape apologist”, and demand she be forever harassed in public as a punishment for her vote to confirm Kavanaugh.
Yesterday, when Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell filed for cloture on Kavanaugh’s nomination, he said:
“This evening, the Senate will receive the results of the FBI’s supplemental background investigation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh. This is now the seventh time the FBI has looked into Judge Kavanaugh’s background. And this information comes on top of what has already been one of the most thorough, most exhaustive Senate reviews of any Supreme Court nominee in our nation’s history.
Five days of public hearings. Sixty-five private meetings with Senators. More than 1,200 responses to written questions from members. More than 500,000 pages of documents for review — the most produced for any Supreme Court nomination in history. And the 300-plus opinions Judge Kavanaugh has issued during his 12 years on the D.C. Circuit. And now, Senators will have the evidence collected by this additional [FBI] background investigation for their consideration as well.”
See our posts on the tortuous and torturous course of Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation:
- Dianne Feinstein in tears after reading FBI report on Kavanaugh
- Boom! FBI has completed investigating Kavanaugh!
- Prosecutor Rachel Mitchell rips apart Christine Ford’s allegations against Judge Kavanaugh
- Christine Blasey Ford and the Hillary Clinton Connection
- Christine Blasey Ford’s body language
- Kavanaugh-accuser Christine Blasey Ford’s handwriting
- Audio evidence of Christine Ford’s political adviser plotting in July against SCOTUS nominee Kavanaugh
- Christine Ford, the woman who accuses Judge Kavanaugh of sexual assault 36 years ago
- Leading Catholic magazine retracts endorsement of Judge Kavanaugh
- Your tax dollars at work: Planned Parenthood threatens senators if they vote to confirm Judge Kavanaugh
Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!