When news came that newly-elected POTUS Barack Obama had chosen Rahm Emanuel to be his White House Chief-of-Staff, we were told that Emanuel has the nickname “Rahmbo” because of his hyper-aggressiveness.
In 1996 when he was the director of the finance committee of Bill Clinton’s presidential campaign, Emanuel is said to have:
- Sent a dead fish in a box to a pollster who was late delivering polling results.
- Become so angry at Clinton’s enemies that, on the night after the 1996 election, he stood up at a celebratory dinner with colleagues from the campaign, grabbed a steak knife and began rattling off a list of betrayers, shouting “Dead! … Dead! … Dead!” and plunging the knife into the table after every name.
- Screamed to British Prime Minister Tony Blair’s face, “Don’t fuck this up!,” before Blair gave a pro-Clinton speech during the Monica Lewinsky impeachment crisis. Reportedly, Blair and Clinton both burst into laughter. [Source: Wikipedia]
The latest report of Emanuel’s unhinged behavior comes from an upcoming book by Newsweek national-affairs columnist Jonathan Alter which is getting a lot of buzz in Washington political circles. The Promise, due out from Simon and Schuster in May, chronicles in a blow-by-blow narrative Obama’s first turbulent year in office. According to an advance copy obtained by New York magazine:
- During the 2008 presidential campaign, Rahm told former President Bill Clinton to “stop acting like the fucking hack-in-chief.”
- In one meeting with a junior male staffer, Rahm apparently yelled: “Take your fucking tampon out and tell me what you have to say.”
- A few weeks after Obama got Bo as their family dog, “Rahm Emanuel ripped into Bo, whose household accidents were consuming valuable presidential time in cleanups.” Alter reports Rahm saying, “I’m going to kill that fucking dog.” [Now that’s going over the line, threatening violence to a pet dog. ~Eowyn]
The White House Chief of Staff is the highest ranking member of the Executive Office of the President of the United States and a senior aide to the President. The office-holder has been dubbed “The Second-Most Powerful Man or Woman in Washington” due to the nature of the job.
Hitler had Himmler; Obama has Emanuel. We have a psycho as the second most powerful man in Washington. God help us.