Portland, OR to require all new buildings, incl. private homes, provide ‘rest and welcome’ to homeless

More insanity from the city government of Portland, Oregon.

Lashay Wesley reports for KATU News that on Nov. 12, 2019, the City of Portland’s 11-member Planning and Sustainability Commission narrowly approved a controversial change to the design process language to say all property owners must “Provide opportunities to rest and be welcome” to homeless people.

The change was introduced by Commissioner Oriana Magnera (see her LinkedIn page here), who has a B.A. in Women’s Studies and is also the climate and energy policy coordinator of Verde, a local “environmental justice” non-profit. She said: “Just one of the realities of Portland right now is that we have a lot of folks who are unhoused who benefit from some of these spaces that provide weather protection.”

Some are rightly concerned that the change to the city of Portland’s design review process would lead to homeless people camping on private property. Questions were raised even by members of the Planning and Sustainability Commission:

• Commission Chair and architect Katherine Schultz asked: “What does it mean to rest? Am I providing a place to sleep?”
  • Commissioner and attorney Jeff Bachrach said: “I’m concerned that this is going to become quite controversial. I think for us to put into design review some loaded words that suggest we want some design commissioners to think about people resting for hours, pitching tents, I think we’re just putting too great of a burden on design review.”

KATU News reached out to each member of the commission, but no one would agree to talk about the proposal on the record, including Magnera who had proposed the idea. Commission Chair Schultz provided this statement to KATU News:

The discussion around ‘Guideline 6: Provide opportunities to rest and be welcome’ was one of the most robust of the Planning and Sustainability Commission’s November 12 work session on the Design Overlay Zone Amendments (DOZA) project. Commissioners discussed how private development can provide places for people to feel welcome and safe, as well as allow space for people to rest, especially in light of our current housing shortage.

The Commission will talk about this further at our next work session and will provide suggested language to the Design Commission that helps clarify the intent of the word “rest.” The Design Commission is the recommending body to City Council for proposed new design guidelines.

The City design review program and guidelines that are the subject of DOZA affect the design of new buildings but do not control the use of properties.

The City of Portland also declined to comment, but provided this letter from the Planning and Sustainability Commission:

Understanding we are talking about private property here, we still want to ensure the openness and welcoming factors contribute to the development.

Specific to the phrasing of the guideline itself, we suggest making it even more clear that development should provide supportive space for people to feel welcome and safe and should allow space for people to rest, especially under our current housing shortage.

The definition of “rest” was quite involved. We think the background should address this more fully and clarify the intent of the word. The PSC will talk about this further at its [Dec. 17] work session and will provide suggested language to the Design Commission after our discussion.

According to BizPacReview, this is not yet a done deal as the motion must pass more committees before a final vote.

How will one measure if a person “feels safe?”

No doubt this will have the desired outcome the city intends by eliminating homelessness. Compassionate progressives will be rushing to Portland to buy homes/rentals that the city tells them how they must operate. /sarc

Lewis Bell
Lewis Bell

First a deed of title is only color of. A deed conveys possession not ownership you fools. The patent conveys ownership. Since when does a note pay a debt? This note is legal tender notice lawful is not the same as legal. All 10 planks of the communist manifesto are enforced upon UNITED STATES citizens to day.

whisperingsage
whisperingsage
Reply to  Lewis Bell

SO is there a simplified way to get a land patent?

old guy
old guy

This will turn out to be an end run to take our guns. You see you won’t be allowed to have weapons on the same property as one of these safe spaces. So they’ll insist or legislate that we all must provide a safe space meaning we all cannot own weapons. I know it sounds paranoid, but Washington State has surprised me with some of our new laws, Portland, Oregon seems further down the slippery slope.

old guy
old guy
Reply to  old guy

moderation? No swear words, didn’t even call Obama a name, must be the word weapons?

Reply to  old guy

First time commenters are automatically put into pending status.

Edward Mcmaster
Edward Mcmaster
Reply to  old guy

You may have a real insight on this I think you’re thinking is very aligned to reality nice job

gene
gene
Reply to  old guy

OMG you are so right with the comment. It will be an end run for a gun grab. I am a Canadian citizen and I do see what is going on . People will camp out on your property perhaps “squat” and never leave while you pick up the tab for this nonsense. The ole saying goes “Don’t pay your property tax and you’ll soon find out who owns the property.Hint It won’t be you. You need to vote out them libtards like right now. Better yet let them demonstrate to the electorate how it is done by implementing their… Read more »

Yeah those compassionate progressives who beat up old men for wearing MAGA hats. If they all moved to Portland maybe it would sink. As long as they stay out of the “real” Portland, the one that’s on The Ocean. None of this will solve the “housing shortage”, the homeless will still be homeless. A very predictable trajectory for drug and alcohol abusers who make up a sizable percentage of that population from my experience. But they will definitely “feeeel” better about it. As will the bureaucrats and that’s their desired outcome. I know your comment is sarc, I’m just trying… Read more »

rustyreefer
rustyreefer

Key West has had this forever with no law written, just a lot of decent laid back Parrot Heads

Frank Frivilous
Frank Frivilous

I just want to say it………..is she Jewish?

HAROLD P.PICKLE
HAROLD P.PICKLE

YESH

bob
bob

Insanity. Totalitarian liberals run amok. Another bastion of communism hastening its own downward slide into oblivion.

star
star

Apply that to all city property! Private property none of the bureaucratic lawmakers’ business.

m walker
m walker

Idiots like this should lead by example.

EMPD
EMPD

Next they will be mandating housing Muslim immigrants.

My “welcome” would be a load of buckshot, then the backhoe solution.

Watertender
Watertender
Reply to  EMPD

I like the way you think!

Ron Small
Ron Small
Reply to  EMPD

The previous president already passed a federal law that says the president can house people anywhere he likes and they have zero recourse.

richard shepas

they vote the idiots in; they must like it.

blather
blather
Reply to  richard shepas

OK, GOT IT!

All of us are to be blamed to how we got to this point, not following Jesus’ Commandment of Loving One Another has allowed businesses and anti-Christian values to run amok without any accountability, while injustice is served to all people of all backgrounds on a daily basis. We are living in end-times, and it is the people’s sin that has brought us to this point, Thank God for KING JESUS CHRIST, who will clean up all of our mess and be worthy of ALL THE GLORY. All we can do now is to repent for all our sins for… Read more »

Pedro
Pedro
Reply to  comment

You said it perfectly. If the church was doing what its supposed to do – helping the poor in all ways, helping the sick… all the things the early church did, we’d be in a much better condition.

Reply to  Pedro

Yes, and WE as CHRISTIANS are part of the CHURCH. We must not act as Christians only on Sundays, but we must act as Christians throughout the week; no matter the situation, no matter the organization, no matter the corporation, no matter the profession, no matter where we go. Every single action we took, every single word we spoke, every single decision we made, even things that we have forgotten, will be reminded to us and will be Judged by the ALMIGHTY FATHER IN HEAVEN. I beseech you to pick up a KJV Bible, and start reading the New Testament… Read more »

Rodney
Rodney
Reply to  comment

Why just the new testament?

Grace
Grace
Reply to  comment

Why specifically the King James Version?

Lil Miss Treated
Lil Miss Treated
Reply to  comment

Yes indeed! I’ve been homeless caused by a Despot Church pastor & it was a horrible horrible experience. I went from church to church for many years looking for help & found none or rejection, or suspicion not love. They’re idea pretty much was that I must have done something very bad for God to judge me like that so they won’t going to interfere with Gods judgement. The modern day church is the most disgusting vomit worthy den of vipers that I’ve ever seen & I will never ever put a foot in another one & encourage anyone who… Read more »

I don’t know what city you lived in where every church turned you down. All churches are not like that.

I work with an organization that helps the needy get food/hygiene products and shelter at many Christian organizations in my city. They most certainly do not judge people nor turn them down. Not everyone is like that.

Mila E.
Mila E.

In Alaska, someone told me recently, the homeless may camp on publicly owned land, but not on private property. I don’t know the specifics, though.

Elizabeth Borg
Reply to  Mila E.

Actually that’s a little more EXCEPTABLE.

inevervotedforthis
inevervotedforthis

Portland is a lost cause and the city already allows public camping on its streets, parks, and in front of homes and businesses. One of Portland’s homeless who apparently needed “rest and welcome”, slit the throats of 3 men riding the local light rail system, while another of Portland’s “urban campers” repeatedly stabbed a 60+ year old homeowner while setting up camp in front of his house. Portland has decriminalized drugs, is a sanctuary city, celebrates “diversity” (perversion), and has tied the hands of the local police. Progressives have turned a once beautiful, livable city into a pit of depravity,… Read more »

Dave
Dave

So in other words, the communist politicians has turned Portland, Oregon into a sewage lagoon that doesn’t treat it’s sewage.

Elizabeth Borg

No I think the citizens hold some responsibility. They never spoke up against this & attacked ppl who did. I won’t let some random guys camp out for however long not 10 minutes without my premission. Alot of homeless are mentally I’ll & self medicating nope not in my yard

DAvid
DAvid

The homeless problem most likely could be solved simply by building a lot of 200 sq ft homes outside of town and giving one to each homeless person with a communal paid for by government kitchen etc. While the cost looks prohibitive it isn’t compared to the costs of having them on street, thefts, shoplifting disease, police overruns, clogged courts etc and yes it is on the razors edge with respect to how we view our freedom BUT it is simply a lower cost way of dealing with a major social issue. Plus, once people have something to take pride… Read more »

Forearmed
Forearmed

That moronic simpleton dumb-ass broad doesn’t seem to understand that you cannot compel being nice or even moral. That is the reason that Jordan Peterson has defied Canada’s laws over Gender speak. No state can compel anyone to think what the state wants, or more rightfully what stupid people like Oriana Magnera want. They also cannot force people to take on homeless people if they chose not to. I have so many expletives to express my outrage over this kind of stupidity I hardly know where to start. So, I’ll leave it at that and just pray that the people… Read more »

Ted
Ted
Reply to  Forearmed

Ironically, the city brought in 2 foot boulders to cover the entire ground along a few blocks along the freeway in downtown where the homeless were regularly camping. I guess the rest of us should follow the city’s example and have great rock gardens in our yards to welcome the homeless for rest.

RKO
RKO

Sounds like those commissioners might be graduates of Karl Marx University. This will not end well.

porky
porky

Let the homeless sleep on city and town properties, and state and federal properties since it is they who are responsible for the homeless.
Private property? NO WAY. The homeless will have to fear for their lives.

Mat Donahue
Mat Donahue

This article seems to lack exactly what is being proposed, as there is no link to any proposed bill. A little research, I found this link bellow, that explains that it does not mean camping on private property. Also, most of the results to key words “doza Portland Oregon”, portland Oregon guideline 6″, brought up the DOZA website, where it PROPOSES different ideas that would offer compensation to those that would be required to provide low income housing, or ways to create more low income housing with tax incentives. Appears this is like many sites, that parrot what other sites… Read more »

Reply to  Mat Donahue

I don’t see anything in this post that states that this is anything other than a proposal. But it’s intention is clear, Even the City of Portland says that “we’re talking about private property here”. Proposals are intended to insinuate ideas that would be otherwise unpalatable into public discourse and they then obscure their true meanings by embedding them in a blizzard of bureaucratic weasel words and fluff. That’s how statist bureaucrats roll. They don’t, for instance, call firearm confiscation what it is, they call it a Safe Neighborhoods Initiative or some such. Who’s opposed to safe neighborhoods? Not me

S M
S M

Simple solution, build dog houses err I mean small people house next to the trash cans. Hey, now they have access to take out food. Don’t forget to make shared space for fido and have the automatic shower (sprinkler) come on at 3:00 AM. Go ahead and make my day!

Fudly
Fudly

If I lived in Portland I would load some homeless in my pickup and transport them to Oriana Magnera’s home. I’d even help them get set up in her yard while filming all of it. I would watch her home and if any of the homeless left I’d bring more in. Get others to do the same with the city councilmen.

andy
andy

The RIGHT to be secure in person & property …. this is grossly UNConstitutional.

RAFO

Sorry, but business and private property owners have NO obligation to provide ANYTHING to homeless people, some who are alcoholics and drug addicted! Government should NOT be in the business of trying to quarter deadbeats and addicts. IF a person wants to help someone who is homeless then that’s their business, but under our Constitution we can’t be forced to house soldiers or homeless (think about the Revolutionary War).

Kevin
Kevin

How long in time is considered rest ? One hour or forever.

Alan Sills
Alan Sills

On your suggestion, I visited whatfinger, I find it to be totally unreadable and the format sucks. Still searching for a drudge replacement

Government mandated altruism. What a great idea. That’ll solve the “housing shortage” (euphemism is the only ism for me). This is so preposterous that I think it’s another one of those run-it-up-a-flagpole-and-see-who-salutes initiatives. The underlying message is that you don’t really own anything, The State does. I can’t believe this will be approved but now it’s out there, there’s a precedent. Someone had to propose it so they picked useless idiot Oriana Magnera, the beaming face of Marxist/Statist stupidity

blather
blather

Oh gawd, another AOC and motherless MORON. Where do the hell do they come from???

Dave
Dave
Reply to  blather

From hell is where they come from.

Stuart
Stuart

What if the homeowners don’t feel safe? Does that matter at all? Expect taxes to go up as private citizens move out. This is not sustainable.

Lil Miss Commie
Lil Miss Commie
Reply to  Stuart

Yes they will move out too! I wouldn’t feel safe. I’d move.
Thanks Oriana! Your women’s studies has shown exactly what it’s good for ….communism!

Joseph Magil
Joseph Magil

The people who are controlling Portland are obviously trying to drive every last sane person out of the city.

Christina Marlowe
Christina Marlowe
Reply to  Joseph Magil

Though it certainly is unfortunate that the REAL costs for moving are PROHIBITIVE. I live in the ghastly ruins of the state of California and last year or the year before, I began to look at all the moving costs. In California they triple the cost of renting a UHAUL and the rental is an obligatory 10-day minimum, even if you only need it for one day. $10,000.00 for that alone to move from California to Mississippi.
There exists only ONE OTHER such rental company (I forgot the name) and their prices are higher than UHAUL. Can anyone say RAPE???

Grace
Grace

And you cannot rent a uhaul trailer one way out of California.

Stupidity on steroids
Stupidity on steroids

A wonderful idea in an ideal world with a moral society by a very young, well meaning inexperienced ding bat. But we don’t live in an ideal world with a moral society anymore do we! The government caused the homeless problem so they don’t have a clue how to solve it except to push the responsibility onto private citizens property. I really feel for the homeless, I’ve been homeless. It’s horrible. Especially when it’s a situation out of your control & especially when the people who are supposed to help ( like the church) don’t care. I will never set… Read more »

Christina Marlowe
Christina Marlowe

In Las Vegas, a woman invited a homeless couple into her home and they made themselves very comfortable indeed. They became such a nuisance and wreaked such havoc that after about a month, she had to call the police to have them removed. What a surprise when the police refused to evict the unwanted guests, citing squatters rights or some such law, and the woman, as the couple had become so unbearable, had to sleep in her car just to get away from them. They took over her home and she had no recourse at all. THINK ABOUT IT.

Atillathehunney
Atillathehunney

Ha!Ha!Ha!Lol! People are actually discussing this? Having meetings…Asking questions… literally taking it seriously? Cannot stop laughing!

Kerrie Clarke
Kerrie Clarke

This is totally ridiculous idea all the way around…The gov’t can’t tell us, to allow strangers onto our properties “to rest” & then not want to leave finding them permanently camped in our front yards..This is the gov’ts way of not dealing with the problem & making law abiding home owners deal with it, which I’m sure those smart will with a gun forbidding trespassing for the safety of their kids & families considering the majority of homeless are hooked on every imaginable drug imaginable–which will lead to HUGE property loss from theft. THIS WHOLE IDEA IS TOO RIDICULOUS TO… Read more »

Christina Marlowe
Christina Marlowe
Reply to  Kerrie Clarke

Oh yes They can and yes, they will…As they always have.

Jizmo Onyabhuti
Jizmo Onyabhuti

B.A. in women’s studies? You mean she has NO ecucation.

Elizabeth Borg

How about every person in the city of Portland post up in these dingbats yard use toilet by there hedges knock at door at 3 am face against glass staring wildly at them. Trample their grass litter in phere yard and honestly if raining move into the master with them I know I wouldn’t feel welcome in the yard. The fact Portland residence haven’t closed there board doors say y’all fired is a real head scratcher.