‘Pedophile Guide’ Author Gets Two Years of Probation in Florida
From FoxNews: A Colorado man who wrote “The Pedophile’s Guide to Love and Pleasure” has been sentenced to two years’ probation in Florida. As part of a deal with Polk County prosecutors, 48-year-old Phillip R. Greaves II pleaded no contest Wednesday to distributing obscene material depicting minors engaged in harmful conduct. He will serve his probation in Colorado and won’t have to register as a sex offender.
Greaves’ self-published book caused a flap when it showed up on Amazon in November. It was later removed from the site. Florida deputies were able to arrest Greaves in December, because they ordered a copy of the book and had it mailed to a Lakeland address. A Polk County judge issued a warrant for Greaves’ arrest, and he was extradited to Florida.
Last November, the “author” stated he believes true pedophiles have been unfairly demonized. “People have this vision that a pedophile is someone who abuses children,” said Greaves. In the book Greaves blames the media for the negative label, and wanted his book to counteract that. “What they don’t realize is that the word ‘pedophile’ itself means someone who loves children,” explained Greaves. “You’re not someone who loves children if you’re raping, murdering and killing them.”
Contrary to what people may think, Greaves is not a pedophile in the conventional understanding of the word. “I only have sex with adults,” he said. “(Has) suggestions as to how to have a respectful relationship,” said Greaves. “For example, I point out the real pedophile doesn’t assume any authority over the child, he’s the child’s friend and whatever happens is mutual agreement.”
Let’s get a better understanding of the “conventional” understanding of the word pedophile:
- From Wikipedia: As a medical diagnosis, pedophilia (or paedophilia) is typically defined as a psychiatric disorder in adults or late adolescents (persons age 16 or older) characterized by a primary or exclusive sexual interest in prepubescent children (generally age 13 years or younger, though onset of puberty may vary).
- From Dictionary.com: An adult who is sexually attracted to young children.
- From Merriam-Webster’s: A person who has a sexual interest in children.
No where in these definitions did I find it to mean “someone who loves children”. Let’s examine his assertion of “mutual agreement”.
- From Wikipedia: While the phrase age of consent typically does not appear in legal statutes, when used in relation to sexual activity, the age of consent is the minimum age at which a person is considered to be legally competent of consenting to sexual acts.
- Legal age of consent in Florida is 18.
- Legal age of consent in Colorado is 17.
To love children is to not demonize them by showing graphic sexual displays of minors. You’re not someone who loves children if you are taking advantage of them. This “author” is seriously ill and I would have preferred to see him end up in prison. I’m sure he would have felt lots of “love” there.