Before Congress recessed for the Christmas/New Year break, Evil Santa, in the form of Senator Harry Reid (D-NV), dropped by and handed out lavish gifts bribes to a number of devious shrewd senators in return for their “Yes” vote for ObamaCare. Alas, it’s taxpayers who will pay for Evil Santa’s largesse.
The names of the corrupt senators are in red.
Remember them, and vote them out in 2010 or 2012!
The following list of bribes are culled from a Dana Milbank column in The Washington Post. I don’t know where Milbank got his figures, but I’ve seen higher numbers for Landrieu’s and Nelson’s respective bribes:
- The Louisiana Purchase: $100 million in extra Medicaid money for the Bayou State, requested by Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.).
The Cornhusker Kickback:
$100 million in extra Medicaid money, this time for Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.).
- Omaha Prime Cuts: Nebraska’s Nelson won a “carve out” provision that would reduce fees for Mutual of Omaha and other Nebraska insurers.
- Con: $100 million meant for a medical center in Connecticut for Sen. Christopher Dodd (D-Conn.)
Gator Aid: Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Flo.) secured a grandfather clause will allow Floridians to preserve their pricey Medicare Advantage program from cuts imposed in the other states.
Iowa Pork: Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) won more Medicare money for low-volume hospitals of the sort commonly found in Iowa.
- Dakota Payoff: Sens. Byron Dorgan and Kent Conrad, both North Dakota Democrats, will enjoy a provision bringing higher Medicare payments to hospitals and doctors in “frontier counties” of states such as – let’s see here – North Dakota!
- Handout Montana: Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.) secured Medicare coverage for anybody exposed to asbestos – as long as they worked in a mine in Libby, Montana.
- Hawaii Aloha: Hawaii, with two Democratic Senators, will get richer payments to hospitals that treat many uninsured people.
- Wolverine Bonanza: Michigan, home of two other Democrats, will earn higher Medicare payments and some reduced fees for Blue Cross/Blue Shield.
Sen. Bernie Sanders is getting larger Medicaid payments for his state (neighboring Massachusetts will get some, too).