On January 20, I did a post on the startling information that Social Security Death Index, as conveyed by the website GenealogyBank, says alleged Sandy Hook mass murderer Adam Lanza had died on December 13, 2012 — a day before the massacre.
The Social Security Death Index (SSDI) is a database of death records created from the federal government Social Security Administration’s Death Master File Extract. Most persons who have died since 1936 who had a Social Security number and whose death has been reported to the Social Security Administration are listed in the SSDI. Unlike the Death Master File, the SSDI is available free from several genealogy websites. The “state of issue” refers to the state that had issued the Social Security number.
The SSDI is not error-free. WSMV.com reports in 2012 that Social Security mistakenly declares about 1,000 people dead every month who aren’t, according to one government report.
After my post on Adam Lanza, a reader sent FOTM an email asking if SSDI has death records on the 20 children and 6 adults whom Lanza allegedly had killed in Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14. So we looked into this. Here’s our report.
According to genealogybank.com, SSDI has death records on all but one of the 26 Sandy Hook victims:
- Charlotte Bacon: age 6; born Feb. 22, 2006; died Dec. 14, 2012; State of issue (SOI) New Jersey.
- Daniel G. Barden: age 7; b. Sept. 27, 2005; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI New York.
- Rachel D’Avino: At first we couldn’t a SSDI for her, but when we conducted a re-search for “Rachel Davino” (instead of “D’Avino”) we did find her SSDI: age 29; b. July 17, 1983; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Olivia R. Engel: age 6; b. July 18, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Josephine G. Gay: age 7; b. Dec. 11, 2005; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Maryland.
- Dylan C. Hockley: age 6; b. Mar. 8, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Maryland.
- Dawn Lafferty Hochsprung: age 47; b. June 28, 1965; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Madeleine F. Hsu: age 6; b. July 10, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Catherine V. Hubbard: age 6; b. June 8, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Chase M. Kowalski: age 7; b. Oct. 31, 2005; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Jesse M. Lewis: age 6; b. June 30, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- James Mattioli: age 6; b. Mar. 22, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Grace A. McDonnell: age 7; b. Nov. 4, 2005; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Anne Marie Murphy: age 52; b. July 25, 1960; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI New York.
- Emilie A. Parker: age 6; b. May 12, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Utah.
- Jack A. Pinto: age 6; b. May 6, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Noah S. Pozner: age 6; b. Nov. 20, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Caroline P. Previdi: age 6; b. Sept. 7, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Jessica A. Rekos: age 6, b. May 10, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Avielle R. Richman: age 6; b. Oct. 17, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI California.
- Lauren G. Rousseau: age 30; b. June 8, 1982; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Mary J. Sherlach: age 56; b. Feb. 11, 1956; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI New York.
- Victoria L. Soto: age 27; b. Nov. 4, 1985; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
- Benjamin A. Wheeler: age 6; b. Sept. 12, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI New York.
- Allison Wyatt: age 6; b. July 3, 2006; d. Dec. 14, 2012; SOI Connecticut.
There is no SSDI for one Sandy Hook victim: Ana Marquez-Greene, age 6. Ana was mixed-race; her father is jazz musician Jimmy Greene.
So we searched for her SSDI again, using two variations of her last name:
- An SSDI was found for “Ana Delia Greene”: b. 1968; d. 2010; SOI Arizona.
- A search for SSDI for “Ana Marquez” found 36 Ana Marquezes, none of whom was the age of Ana Marquez-Greene of Sandy Hook.
The lack of a SSDI for Ana Marquez-Greene may be because her parents had not yet obtained a Social Security card/number for her.
Note that the Date of Death for all of the above 25 Sandy Hook victims, as well as Adam Lanza’s mother, Nancy Lanza, is December 14, 2012.
Of the 28 people (20 children, 8 adults) who allegedly were killed on December 14, 2012, in Newtown, Connecticut, only Adam Lanza’s date of death is December 13, 2012 — one day before the massacre.
In other words, according to SSDI, the man who (we are told) killed the other 27 had died the day before!
Here’s the screenshot I took on January 20, 2013, of the SSDI for Adam Lanza on genealogybank.com, showing his date-of-death as December 13, 2012:
As recent as two days ago, on January 31, 2013, genealogybank.com still had the SSDI date of death for Adam Lanza as December 13, 2012.
I just checked the site again. You’re not gonna believe this – The date of death is now changed to December 14, 2012!!!!!!!!!
Here’s a screenshot I took, where you can see that I’d taken the screenshot at 1:32 PM, 2/2/2013:
We also came across this piece of oddity: The media used a photo of a different girl, Lily Gaubert, for Sandy Hook victim Allison Wyatt.
On her Facebook page, Cathy Gaubert says someone lifted her very much alive daughter Lily’s pic from her Flickr page and used it as Sandy Hook victim Allison Wyatt’s.
Only when Cathy Gaubert found out that her daughter’s photo was identified to be that of the dead Allison Wyatt that the media replaced the photo of Lily Gaubert with a photo of Allison Wyatt.
~Eowyn & Steve
Update (Feb. 5, 2013):
I ran all the victims on another genealogy website, Ancestry.com, and can confirm that the date-of-death for all of them, except Adam Lanza, is December 14, 2012. Unlike genealogybank.com that’s changed Adam’s date-of-death to Dec. 14, 2012, Ancestry.com still has the date as Dec. 13, 2012, according to SSDI.
I also found an obituary on Ancestry.com for Ana Grace Marquez Greene, died Dec. 14 2012. But I cannot find an SSDI for the girl on Ancestry.com, using variations on her last name of “Greene,” “Marquez-Greene”, or “Marquez.”