MyFoxChicago: A man was killed and at least 11 other people have been wounded in shootings across the city since Friday afternoon.
The fatal shooting–the first of the new year–happened about 1:30 a.m. Saturday in the West Side Austin neighborhood. Randy James, 39, was standing on a sidewalk in the 5000 block of West Superior when he heard shots and realized he’d been struck in the left side of the abdomen, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
He took himself to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park and was later transferred to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 5:50 a.m., authorities said. James lived in the 4600 block of West Adams.
The most recent shooting was reported after a man walked into Holy Cross Hospital about 3:30 a.m. The man, in his 20s, walked into the hospital with a gunshot wound to his arm, police said. He told investigators he was shot in the 7100 block of South Damen, police said.
Just before midnight, a 56-year-old man was shot while trying to run from a suspected robber in the South Side Bronzeville neighborhood.
The man was walking on the sidewalk in the 4700 block of South Michigan when he was approached by a male who announced a robbery just before midnight, police said. The man began to run but was shot when the male fired shots in his direction, striking him in the thigh, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where his condition had stabilized, police said.
A man was wounded in a North Lawndale neighborhood shooting Saturday night on the West Side. A 25-year-old man who showed up at West Suburban about 7:30 p.m. with a gunshot wound to the leg told investigators he had been shot in the 1600 block of South Komensky, police said. His condition was stabilized.
Saturday afternoon, three people were shot in the Ashburn neighborhood on the Southwest Side. A woman and two men, all 19, were in a car about 3 p.m. in the 8100 block of South Campbell when another vehicle pulled up, and someone with a gun got out and opened fire, police said.
The woman was shot in the thigh and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, police said. She was treated and released later Saturday. One of the men suffered a graze wound to the side and was taken to Christ as well, police said. The other had a graze wound to the hand and was taken to Stroger. Both were listed in good condition.
At least five other people have been wounded in four separate shootings since 4:40 p.m. Friday.
- Chicago ends 2014 with fewer homicides, but shooting victims up 14 percent
- #BlackLivesMatter? What about blacks in Chicago? And black babies?
- This is a good weekend in Chicago: 3 dead, 11 wounded in weekend shootings (11/24)
- Monday Chicago shooting report: Same story every weekend…(10/27)
- Chicago gun violence: What is it going to take to get people mad? (10/6)
- Paging Emanuel, Sharpton and Jackson: Do you know what’s happening in Chicago EVERY weekend? (9/29)
- A good weekend in Chicago? Less than a dozen shot (9/15)Quiz time: How many were shot in Chicago over the weekend? (9/8)
- Quiz time: How many were shot in Chicago over Labor Day Weekend?
- It’s Monday, quiz time…you know the drill: How many people were shot in Chicago over the weekend? (8/25)
- Quiz time! Guess how many people were shot in Chicago over the weekend (8/4)
- Quiz time! Guess how many people were shot in Chicago over the weekend (7/28)
- Quiz time! How many people were shot in Chicago over the 4th?
- Gun control in Chicago: 3 dead among 21 wounded in afternoon, overnight shootings (6/7)
Please follow and like us: