MyFoxChicago: Two men were killed and at least 20 other people have been injured in shootings on the South and West sides since Friday night.
About 11:40 p.m. Friday, a man was killed in the Back of the Yards neighborhood on the South Side.
Charles Wright, 39, was shot in the abdomen about 11:30 p.m. in the 5300 block of South Hoyne, authorities said. Wright, of the 3100 block of West 71st Street, was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 12:35 a.m., according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
A shooting at 10 p.m. that night left one man dead and another wounded in Austin on the West Side.
The two were standing in a yard in the 5500 block of West Corcoran when multiple people fired shots from a sidewalk, police said.
Denzell Franklin, 23, was shot in the face and armpit and was pronounced dead at the scene at 10:43 p.m., according to police and the medical examiner’s office. The other man, 24, walked to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park with a gunshot wound to the arm, police said. His condition had stabilized late Friday night. Two people were taken into custody in connection with the shooting, but their ages and genders were not immediately known.
A man was critically wounded in the most recent nonfatal shooting early Sunday in Chicago Lawn on the South Side. The 31-year-old was shot in the neck about 4:25 a.m. in the 2200 block of West 69th Street, police said, citing preliminary information. He was taken in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, police said. Details on the circumstances of the shooting weren’t immediately available.
Two men–including an off-duty Cook County sheriff’s officer–were shot within ten minutes in the neighboring South Side communities of Gresham and Auburn Gresham.
At 3:40 p.m., someone tried to rob the 34-year-old sheriff’s officer in the 7900 block of South Paulina and shot him in the hand, police said. His condition was stabilized at Christ Medical Center.
Ten minutes later, officers found a 21-year-old man lying on a sidewalk in the 8900 block of South Carpenter with gunshot wounds to his leg and shoulder, police said. His condition was not immediately known.
A 42-year-old man was shot and critically wounded about a half-hour earlier in West Pullman on the Far South Side. The man was walking in the 11900 block of South Eggleston about 3:20 a.m. when he heard shots, felt pain and realized he had been shot in the left side of his chest, police said. He was taken in critical condition to Christ Medical Center, police said. A police source said the man has documented gang ties.
At least 15 other people have been hurt in separate shootings since 8:40 p.m. Friday.
- Chicago gun violence: What is it going to take to get people mad? (10/6)
- Paging Emanuel, Sharpton and Jackson: Do you know what’s happening in Chicago EVERY weekend? (9/29)
- Another deadly weekend in Chicago: Gangbanger kills 9 year old boy (9/22)
- A good weekend in Chicago? Less than a dozen shot (9/15)
- Quiz time: How many were shot in Chicago over the weekend? (9/8)
- Quiz time: How many were shot in Chicago over Labor Day Weekend?
- It’s Monday, quiz time…you know the drill: How many people were shot in Chicago over the weekend? (8/25)
- Quiz time! Guess how many people were shot in Chicago over the weekend (8/4)
- Quiz time! Guess how many people were shot in Chicago over the weekend (7/28)
- Quiz time! How many people were shot in Chicago over the 4th?
- Gun control in Chicago: 3 dead among 21 wounded in afternoon, overnight shootings (6/7)