Microsoft can terminate its services to you for ‘hate speech’

Do you use any of the following:

• Windows as your computer’s operating system.
  • Internet Explorer or Edge as your browser.
  • Bing as your search engine.
  • Outlook for your email.
  • Word as your writing software.

If you do, recently you probably received an email notification from Microsoft about changes to their Services Agreement, just in time for the 2020 election.

But most of you probably didn’t click on the link to read Microsoft’s new Services Agreement. You should, because contained in the Services Agreement is this:

3. Code of Conduct.

a. By agreeing to these Terms, you’re agreeing that, when using the Services, you will follow these rules:

• vii. Don’t engage in activity that is harmful to you, the Services or others (e.g., transmitting viruses, stalking, posting terrorist or violent extremist content, communicating hate speech, or advocating violence against others).
  • viii. Don’t infringe upon the rights of others (e.g., unauthorized sharing of copyrighted music or other copyrighted material, resale or other distribution of Bing maps, or photographs).
  • ix. Don’t engage in activity that violates the privacy of others.
  • x. Don’t help others break these rules.

b. Enforcement. If you violate these Terms, we may stop providing Services to you or we may close your Microsoft account. We may also block delivery of a communication (like email, file sharing or instant message) to or from the Services in an effort to enforce these Terms or we may remove or refuse to publish Your Content for any reason.

Nowhere does the Services Agreement even remotely define what “hate speech” or what “help others break these rules” means.

As an example, if I call Microsoft “tyrannical,” is that “hate speech”? If I, as I had, point out that Microsoft’s co-founder Bill Gates had said on four occasions that vaccines would reduce world population, is that “hate speech”? And if, having read this post, a reader post a comment criticizing Microsoft, am I “helping” others to “communicate hate speech”?

Not defining these critical terms, the violation of which can trigger Microsoft’s termination of its services, means that Microsoft can call “hate speech” and “helping others break these rules” whatever they want.

Given the vagueness of its Services Agreement, how are we to conduct ourselves so as not to violate the terms of the agreement?

H/t Vivien Lee

Goldbug
Goldbug

We were warned about this .. they gave us all those free operating systems and software on our computers .. there were hearings in Congress .. but, as usual, nobody listened, and now we’re the losers.

MarkyMark
MarkyMark
Reply to  Goldbug

We never got M$ Winblows for free; we PAID for it when we bought the PC! As another user pointed out, you can change to Linux Mint. Not only will you have more reliability; not only will you have 100x more security; not only will it and the associated apps be lighter weight; it’ll be FASTER too!

I hope I don’t have to switch my new laptop over, but if I do, it’ll be easy; I have a Dell, and Dells play NICE with any Ubuntu or Ubuntu derived distro… 🙂

Well,I didn’t want their stinkin’ operating system anyway. Their operating systems have always been a cluster-kluge,and every new incarnation they say is more user-friendly ISN’T.

oldguy
oldguy
Reply to  truckjunkie

Unless you have a specific need for Windows or a program requires it, ditch it for Linux Mint. For most it wouldn’t be much of an adjustment. Sadly, I still have a single Windows PC that I need.

MarkyMark
MarkyMark
Reply to  oldguy

What OG said!

Mullins
Mullins
Reply to  oldguy

The main problem I would have that prevents me from ditching Windows – is not the Windows OS, but the boat load of third party apps that I have bought and installed on Windows that I need to perform tasks that I deem to be essential.

oldguy
oldguy
Reply to  Mullins

I get ya. I had to ween myself off for the same reason. I still have Windows on a laptop, but the other dozen systems are all some form of Linux. I’d been a Microsoft guy since the MS-Dos days. I tired of the controls they had in place long before this bit of news. Linux is free with no catch. It’s also very easy to acclimate to and the support is tremendous. You can try it out with a usb drive or even dual-boot OSes.

It’s micro and it’s soft. Bill Gates’ brain.
I don’t do any of their software updates anyway, so hahahahaha!

Bet they – just like Twitter – won’t apply these rules equally to Antifa.

Michael Garrison
Michael Garrison

This has all the ear-marks of a pouting little brat. Nobody wants his vaccine, and he can’t handle that we’re waking up.
Gates can’t stand that his own computer systems are being used to expose him.

oldguy
oldguy

Worse yet, how are they going to know what one says or does? Are they monitoring us? If so, sign me up and boot me out of your databases.

Grif
Editor
Reply to  oldguy

The answer to your question, oldguy, is Yes, they are monitoring what one says. Microsoft’s Windows 10 operating system comes standard on nearly every PC sold today. This platform contains two spies, the Bing search engine, and Microsoft Edge. Edge is worse than the worst virus I ever have encountered. It loads itself into the core and attempts to seize total control over your operating system. It will hijack your email accounts and your bookmarks. Edge and Bing remember your internet searches and will create a profile of what you are doing. If you have a Microsoft account, you have… Read more »

Reply to  Grif

President Trump just gave TikTok 45 days to sell or be banned. Microsoft will probably buy it and continue the work of the Chicoms.

Mr H
Mr H

Should Microsoft become vindictive and start scaling back their services, those of us who do most of our work computing in a Unix environment may well see an increase in our consulting services installing Unix based operating systems and applications software, along with training users in their use. And then there is always Apple and their systems widely use in desk top publishing and all of the other things we use personal computers for. Apple may well also see an increase in their business.

MarkyMark
MarkyMark

If I point out that Bill Gates had flown on The Lolita Express to visit Pedo Island, is that hate speech?

CalGirl
CalGirl
Reply to  MarkyMark

To Bill Gates it is. Take it from there.

I never realized that installing an OS like Linux Mint could be pretty easy.

I’m the type that knows just enough about computers to be dangerous – as in deleting the wrong thing at the worst time!

I think after the last Windows update, I had to create a Microsoft account, just to get into my laptop, which really pissed me off, cause I don’t use Microsoft – I just have no need for it

CalGirl
CalGirl

DAH! How long did we know this was coming? Clue….since even before fellowship and others were “deplatformed.” This is the herald “angel.” It’s only gonna get worse fr here on out. I don’t know why they are not NOW subject to the same oversight as printed newspapers or others…since they are now “editors.” Unlike other situations, I think I Will LIVE to see the day when they are subject to the same oversight (libel, blah blah) as are print media today…(which they, as of now, think themselves impervious to) since they’ve entered the arena of “editing”…or….in a position to allow… Read more »

warsdad
warsdad

The sad part is everyone thinks it is software based in the OS. Sorry to tell you it is hardware based since 2008. Intel Management Unit and the AMD Security Platform Processors’s are the “proccesor in the proccesor tech”. DRM and Code of conduct will all be handle at the hardware level and cannot be disabled.

RetiredENG
RetiredENG

As a retired Hardware/Software Engineer I can’t imagine any reason to use closed source software in this day and age. I ditched the spyware Micro$oft platform over 25 years ago. As a result my professional career flourished and allowed me to retire at 41. Do yourself a favor and try a GPL Live Linux distribution and experience the freedom. No installation is required. You can use it from a USB flash drive. Thousands of variations to choose from and you can mix and match to create your own if you like. Having access to the Source Code gives YOU the… Read more »

Hmmm, I hate Windows 10, hate Explorer and Edge, hate Bing, hate Cortana, hate Outlook, and don’t use Word. Oh, and I absolutely hate mandatory updates I have to then troubleshoot. And that MS decides when they’ll stop supporting a perfectly-good working OS so you have to upgrade if you want security patches and driver updates. So I’m good. I used DOS/Windows from about ’86 until about ’16… built MANY systems based on it, taught intro and advanced courses on it at the local university. But dropped it after Windows 8 came out. Still have a Win X PC so… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by CogitoErgoSumantra
CalGirl
CalGirl

Cogito and Retired Eng, Marky, Grif, OG and other techies….I have no idea what you are talking about b/c I am a techno-peasant, but I think you are talking about what I’ve been wondering about forever—as in…”Why isn’t there competition?” Why do I HAVE to be chained to these systems that serve themselves better than they are serving ME? ESP annoying when they “won’t support” any longer UNLESS you buy a whole new bag ‘o tricks from them.