Many progressive-run west coast liberal cities and counties have a homeless crisis: San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, Portland, San Jose, Los Angeles County and King County. See one of the many posts I’ve done about this here:
- Infectious typhus, fueled by homeless, reaches epidemic levels in southern California
- Liberal utopia of Portland, Oregon: Homeless crisis exploding, private citizens now paying homeless to pickup trash
- Liberal utopia of Portland, Oregon: Entire city block and family bike path taken over by homeless
- Scared in Seattle: Citizens terrorized by the homeless & sidewalks turned into toilets
- Seattle to shut down tiny homeless village, opened in 2017, after crime skyrockets 100%
- Liberal utopia of San Francisco: Feces, needles and drugs, oh my!
- Tourists shocked by what they see on San Francisco streets
- Liberal utopia of San Francisco hires staff to clean up feces off their streets
- San Jose will pay homeless $15/hour to cleanup their own trash
You can now add the city of Sacramento to that list as well.
From Sacramento Bee: The Sacramento City Council unlocked millions in state homelessness funding Thursday by voting unanimously to declare an emergency shelter crisis for three months.
The declaration was a state mandate necessary for the city to qualify for part of $553 million in one-time funding set aside by the state Legislature in June to address homelessness across California.
The city has joined with Sacramento County and the nonprofit group Sacramento Steps Forward to apply for $20 million from the state to pay for shelters and programs to help the county’s more than 3,000 homeless people. The city will directly administer about $7.7 million of the funding, received over two and a half years, said Emily Halcon, coordinator of the city’s homeless services.
The shelter crisis declaration will be in effect from December to March and the majority of the city money will likely be used to pay for additional homeless shelters to replace the emergency shelter in North Sacramento, now set to close by Dec. 31.
The city plans to use more than $4 million on at least one new 200-bed triage shelter, according to a report prepared by city staff. The city also plans to open other new low-barrier triage shelters, Steinberg said, though locations for new facilities has yet to be decided.
Steinberg said he plans to announce potential locations early next month and expects at least one facility to open by Jan. 1, when the Railroad Drive center will close.
“(This is) not just to replace Railroad Avenue, which we must, or the capacity, which we must, but to dramatically expand it,” Steinberg said.
The Railroad Drive shelter, the first city-operated low-barrier triage facility, was previously scheduled to close at the end of November but private funding is allowing it to operate through the end of December. It is typically at full capacity, like all shelters in the city on any given night, said Halcon.
Read the whole story here.
Great job demorats!
Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!