The Statue of Liberty, ‘Liberty Enlightening the World,’ was a gift of friendship from the people of France to the people of the United States and was dedicated on October 28, 1886, designated as a National Monument in 1924, and restored for her centennial on July 4, 1986. The 1886 dedication was attended by President Grover Cleveland, who proclaimed on that day that ‘Liberty’ would “magnify France beyond the seas.”
The statue is of a robed female figure representing Libertas, the Roman goddess of freedom, who bears a torch and a tabula ansata (a tablet evoking the law) upon which is inscribed the date of the American Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776. A broken chain lies at her feet. The statue has become an icon of freedom and of the United States.
President Grover Cleveland, the former New York governor, presided over the dedication ceremony. On the morning of the dedication, a parade was held in New York City; estimates of the number of people who watched it ranged from several hundred thousand to a million. President Cleveland headed the procession, then stood in the reviewing stand to see bands and marchers from across America. General Stone was the grand marshal of the parade. As the parade passed the New York Stock Exchange, traders threw ticker tape from the windows, beginning the New York tradition of the ticker-tape parade. A nautical parade began at 12:45 p.m., and President Cleveland embarked on a yacht that took him across the harbor to Bedloe’s Island for the dedication.
Read more about the history and culture of the Statue here and here.
Looks pretty good for her age, don’t you think? 🙂