From Yahoo (via Chicago Tribune): A t least 45 people were shot in gun attacks in Chicago over the weekend, including nine children 16 years and younger.
From Friday afternoon to early Monday morning, 7 people were killed and another 38 were wounded, including three children and one adult who were shot in Lawndale on Friday night.
As of Friday, at least 1,629 people have been shot in the city this year, fewer than the last two years at this time when violence hit record levels in the city but well above other recent years. There have been at least 294 homicides, according to Tribune data.
The children were standing with a group in the 1100 block of South Troy Street when someone fired into a crowd, Chicago police said.
A 12-year-old boy shot in the head was in critical condition, a 10-year-old girl shot in the shoulder was in good condition and an 11-year-old boy shot in the right ankle was in good condition at Stroger Hospital.
Early Monday morning, a 16-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy were injured in separate shootings on the South and West sides, respectively. Early Sunday morning, a 16-year-old boy was wounded in a shooting on the West Side, and a 15-year-old boy was wounded in a South Side shooting later that afternoon.
On Friday and Saturday, a 15-year-old boy and a 13-year-old boy were injured in shootings.
In the weekend’s most recent homicide, a 57-year-old man was shot in the armpit after four males tried to force the man into his residence in the 4100 block of West Potomac Avenue, police said. He died at Mount Sinai Hospital.
- Where’s the #GunControlNow crowd? Four killed, 25 wounded in Chicago weekend shootings
- This is Chiraq: 23 shot, 2 killed Monday in less than 24 hours
- This is Chiraq: 11 shootings (3 killed) during three-hour span
- Gun control, Chiraq style: 35 people shot over Memorial Day weekend, 6 killed
- This is Chiraq: A start to their weekend includes 11 shot, 4 killed on Friday
- Gun control, Chiraq style: 74 people shot during the last week
- Gun control, Chiraq style: 12 people shot on Tuesday, one killed
- Gun control, Chiraq style: Felon accused of killing Chicago police commander
- 2017: Chicago’s homicides outnumber US military casualties 18:1
- Chicago records 762 homicides in 2016, up 57 percent from previous year