Sun, 08 Jul 2018 13:35:10 +0000
Human beings like to think ourselves as superior to animals — that non-human animals have no feelings, such as love and empathy, and no moral sense, such as altruism.
Again and again, God’s creatures demonstrate otherwise.
Thongsri the elephant is one example.
The 17-year-old elephant lives in a sanctuary in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
In a video that’s gone viral, two of her caretakers pretend to fight. One of the men strikes the other, who falls to the ground.
Watching this, Thongsri charges into battle to rescue her caretaker. The elephant circles the man protectively, using her body to shield him against harm.
See these other examples of animal love, empathy, gratitude, and altruism:
- Animals love, grieve, and have empathy
- Animal Kindness
- Animal altruism: Turtle lends a helping hand to another
- Animal altruism: Dog shares ‘maternity ward’ with pregnant cat
- Hero dogs: saves newborn baby; fosters orphaned ducklings
- Hero dog, beaten and shot, protects boy from home invaders
- Pound dog holds new owner’s hand
- Loving dog stops and waits for elderly owner
- Cat leaves flowers for kind woman
- Russian cat saves baby abandoned in box in freezing cold
- Rooster waits for school bus bringing his human home