Sat, 04 Nov 2017 22:32:12 +0000
From The Hill, 3:33 PM, November 4, 2017:
Kentucky State Police have arrested a man accused of assaulting Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) at his home in Bowling Green, the senator’s office confirmed on Saturday.
“Senator Paul was blindsided and the victim of an assault,” Kelsey Cooper, a spokeswoman for Paul, said in a statement. “The assailant was arrested and it is now a matter for the police. Senator Paul is fine.”
The suspect was identified as 59-year-old Rene Boucher of Bowling Green, according to a statement from police. The Warren County Attorney’s Office issued a warrant for Boucher’s arrest shortly after the assault on Friday.
Police are investigating the assault, according to the statement. Boucher has been charged with 4th degree assault, causing a minor injury.
Spokeo says that Rene Albert Boucher, 59, lives at 582 Rivergreen Ln, Bowling Green, KY 42103, is unmarried and a Caucasian.
According to Heavy.com:
- Senator Paul’s attacker is a man named Dr. Rene Boucher, an anesthesiologist who retired in 2015.
- Boucher is a registered Democrat, an advocate for gun control and healthcare reform who’s been severely critical of the Republican Party on Facebook since Trump became president.
- Paul and Boucher are neighbors.
- Boucher “ambushed” Paul while the senator was mowing his lawn.
- Neighbors say Paul and Boucher “had an ongoing feud.”
- Boucher is being held at Warren County Regional Jail in lieu of a $5,000 bond. If convicted, he could face a year in prison of the Class A misdemeanor. Warren County Attorney Amy Milliken said Boucher could face extra charges, based on the injuries suffered by Paul.
Rene Boucher’s Facebook page is here.