Fri, 24 Mar 2017 16:09:28 +0000
Carbon monoxide kills.
Every year, on average, 430 Americans die from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the CDC.
Although you can’t see or smell carbon monoxide, a Maine Coon cat named Gracie in Wisconsin somehow knew, and saved her human family from carbon monoxide poisoning by pounding on their bedroom door, thereby, waking up the husband.
WREG Channel 3 reports, March 15, 2017, that Annette Shanahan of Reedsburg, Wisconsin, woke up in the middle of the night and thought that she was having a heart attack. Her head all “fuzzy,” she got up, left the bed with her husband Kevin still sleeping, and sat in the chair in the bedroom, feeling like she was dying.
The Shanahans have an 8-year-old Maine Coon mix named Grace.
Although Gracie normally doesn’t sleep with Annette and Kevin, she began “pounding” on their bedroom door with her paw.
Kevin said: “All of the sudden Gracie, I heard she was pounding, knocking, knocking, knocking at the door. And so I got out of bed and to stop her from pounding at the door, and I looked to my left and Annette was there in the chair.”
Annette said she couldn’t breathe: “I was hanging onto the arm of the chair, and I thought I was dying.”
Annette managed to call 911.
When firefighters arrived, they discovered lethal levels of carbon monoxide in the home, caused by a malfunction in the hot water heater.
Annette and Kevin were taken to the hospital, where they spent the night.
Kevin said: “Very lucky. If it wasn’t for the cat, I don’t know how much she was saving our lives, but she wanted to get out of there, and she knew enough to know something was wrong, and she was pounding on the door.”
Annette said: “I say saved by grace, saved by the grace of God, because Gracie doesn’t usually sleep with us.”
Manufacturers recommend that carbon monoxide detectors should be replaced every five years. The Shanahans’ detector was 15 years old. The family now has four new CO detectors of the non-feline non-Gracie variety.
Here’s the video: