Mon, 27 Jun 2016 17:22:58 +0000
Michael Batasch reports for The Daily Caller that on Friday, June 24, 2016, Democratic operatives responsible for creating their party’s platform this year unanimously adopted a provision calling for the Department of Justice to investigate energy companies that deny and “mislead” their shareholders about global warming.
The Democratic National Convention’s website states that a “joint proposal calling on the Department of Justice to investigate alleged corporate fraud on the part of fossil fuel companies who have reportedly misled shareholders and the public on the scientific reality of climate change was also adopted by unanimous consent.”
In so doing, the Democratic Party platform drafting committee, led by DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings, is giving the party’s full support to ongoing investigations by 17 Democratic state attorneys general into ExxonMobil’s stance on global warming. (See “Thought Crime: 17 Democratic attorney generals go after climate-change deniers”)
But it’s not just energy companies that are targeted. At least two attorneys general are also going after conservative think tanks and scientists, demanding their records.
Republican lawmakers and AGs have pushed back, calling the investigations into Exxon and think tanks an assault on free speech. Some Republican AGs warned their liberal counterparts that if skeptics can be investigated for misrepresenting global warming, alarmists can be as well because “If it is possible to minimize the risks of climate change, then the same goes for exaggeration. If minimization is fraud, exaggeration is fraud.”
Democrats scoffed at the free speech arguments, saying Exxon and others were committing fraud by disagreeing with the Obama administration over the severity of global warming and the effects of potential climate policies.
The draft party platform now needs approval from the full platform committee in Orlando in July. That document will then need approval at the Democratic National Convention later that month.
- Thought crime comes to America: Obama admin is considering civil action against ‘climate change’ deniers
- 20 professors & scientists sign letter asking Obama to prosecute climate-change skeptics
- Portland public schools ban books doubting climate change
- Proposed UN Tribunal of Climate Justice threatens U.S. sovereignty, while Antarctica ice is increasing, not melting
- Third World countries want more than $10B a year as ‘climate change’ reparations
- Pope Francis calls for a new global authority to combat ‘climate change’
- Bill Gates says only socialism can save world from climate change
- UN Lied About Climate Change
- Top adviser to Australia PM: Global warming is a NWO fraud led by UN
- If Global Warming is true, why would they have to cheat yet again