Sat, 08 Jan 2011 19:27:24 +0000
On the web, the rumor mill has the killer Jared Lee Loughner variously as an anarchist, a communist, a registered Tea Party member, a registered Democrat, an Obama supporter…. But 22-year-olds are too young to have developed a coherent political belief system. I don’t believe him to be an ideologue. Nor are the shootings ideologically-politically motivated, no matter the rationalizations we may hear from him in the days to come.
Loughner is a Columbine-type psychopath, and what he perpetrated today are acts of malice — pure evil. Of course, the media and the Left will do their utmost to portray him as a “right wing gun-nut” and make this tragedy a cause for gun control.
~Eowyn (Jan. 9, 2011, 5:48pm, west coast)
UPDATES: Hot Air says:
- Rep. Gifford was shot in temple; bullet went clear through and exited out other side; underwent surgery; will pull through.
- Among dead are Federal Judge John Roll and a 9-year-old girl.
- Shooter taken into police custody, 22-year-old Jared Lee Loughner.
- Police detained a second suspect; looking for a third man.
- Here’s Loughner’s pulled but archived Facebook page. Here’s his YouTube channel with three manifesto-type clips, including “Final Thoughts” posted last month. He sounds like an anarchist, complaining about “currency that’s not backed by gold and silver” and how “you don’t have to accept the federalist laws.”
NY Post says Giffords “might have been shot at point blank range, some reports indicated. There are conflicting reports as to whether she survived.” Her father Spencer Giffords, when asked if his 40-year-old daughter had any enemies, said ‘Yeah. The whole tea party.’ Others, including congressional staffers were also wounded, though different reports place the victim toll between five and 11 people. (H/t Kitty)
NPR – Jan 8, 2011
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) and six others died after a gunman opened fire at a public event on Saturday, the Pima County, Ariz., sheriff’s office confirms.
The 40-year-old Democrat, who was re-elected to her third term in November, was hosting a “Congress on Your Corner” event at a Safeway in northwest Tucson when a gunman ran up and started shooting, according to Peter Michaels, news director of Arizona Public Media.
At least three other people, including members of her staff, were injured. Giffords was transported to University Medical Center in Tucson. Her condition was not immediately known.
Giffords was talking to a couple when the suspect ran up and fired indiscriminately from about four feet away, Michaels said.
The suspect ran off and was tackled by a bystander. He was taken into custody. Witnesses described him as in his late teens or early 20s.
Giffords was first elected to represent Arizona’s 8th District in 2006. The “Congress on Your Corner” events allow constituents to present their concerns directly to her.