Chicago has a serious problem and Rahm is finally waking up? He obviously hasn’t read the news for the past year or so.
Yahoo: Four people were killed and 52 wounded during shootings across Chicago over the weekend. After multiple weekends in a row of increased violence in the city, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is urging a fresh and more proactive approach to gun control. The latest incidents, including the murder of a pregnant mother, come on the heels of two weekends in a row with more than 50 shootings in Chicago.
At least 2,300 people have been shot in Chicago this year alone, according to the Chicago Tribune. According to their analysis, that’s roughly 400 more incidents than during the same period in 2014. Homicides are currently up 21 percent in 2015, with the past two weekends pointing to a noticeable increase in gun-related violence.
“Wherever you live, you should be able to get out of your car and go to your home,” Emanuel told reporters on Tuesday after receiving news of the increased violence continuing on Monday evening, leaving six dead and at least eight injured. “You can say this happened in the neighborhood of the Back of the Yards, but everybody (who) woke up this morning, or heard it last night, felt a pain of anguish, and it’s time that our criminal justice system and the laws as it relates to access to guns and the penalties for using ’em reflect the values of the people of the city of Chicago.”
- No holiday respite for Chicagoans: 5 killed, 22 wounded in Labor Day weekend shootings
- 3 killed, 23 wounded in weekend shootings across Chicago
- Another typical weekend in Chicago: 4 killed, 29 wounded
- Same ‘ol, same ‘ol in Chicago: 2 killed, 25 wounded in weekend shootings
- Another typical Chicago weekend: 35 shot — 1 fatally — in gun violence
- Hey #blacklivesmatter and #gunsense crowd: More shootings in Chicago this past weekend
- Gun control, Chicago style: 3 dead, 31 wounded in weekend shootings
- Another deadly weekend in Chicago: 4 killed, 18 wounded in shootings
- The Chicago Way: Too many dead & shot, and father of 7-year-old victim is notorious gang member who won’t cooperate with law enforcement
- Another brutal weekend: 40 shot, 1 fatally, in Chicago gun violence