Ben Johnson of The White House Watch reports, July 9, 2011, that Obama’s threat to bypass Congress and raise the debt ceiling has stirred significant talk of impeachment — and not just on talk radio. Republican Congressman Pete Olson of Texas has confirmed some of his colleagues are talking about initiating impeachment hearings.
Scott Keyes of ThinkProgress.org asked Rep. Olson: “Congressman Tim Scott of South Carolina yesterday in a town hall said if President Obama were to just ignore the debt ceiling, then he might be favoring bringing up articles of impeachment. Is that something that you’ve heard discussed much among your colleagues?”
Olson replied, “A little bit,” then quickly pivoted to repeating talking points about the debt ceiling. So Think Progress’s Lee Fang followed up: “So Congressman Scott, is he just a lonely voice or are there a large number of people who are talking about this?”
Olson answered, “He’s not a lonely voice.”
Congressman Olson’s statement confirms that a number of Congressmen are discussing a motion to remove Barack Obama from office. Tim Scott is not the first member of the present Congress to raise impeachment. There are other examples:
- In February, 4-term Arizona Congressman Trent Franks told Alan Keyes that he supported impeaching Obama, and possibly Attorney General Eric Holder, over their refusal to defend the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).
- Ron Paul (R) and Dennis Kucinich (D) have stated Obama’s unauthorized military intervention in Libya is an impeachable offense. Attorney Bruce Fein went so far as to draw up articles of impeachment on the matter.
- While successfully campaigning to regain his old House seat in 2010, Michigan Republican Tim Walberg said the GOP must be willing to confront Obama “up to and including impeachment.”
- Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, American Family Radio Network talk show host Bryan Fischer, ACORN expert Matthew Vadum have called the DOMA dereliction impeachable.
- Former Congressman Tom Tancredo and Constitution Party founder Howard Phillips have called for Obama’s impeachment for refusing to enforce border laws, among other grounds.
H/t Tony Caputo.