Zechariah 14 is the 14th and the last chapter of the Book of Zechariah in the Old Testament. This book contains the prophecies spoken by the prophet Zechariah, whose prophecies began in the second year of Darius, king of Persia (520 BC).
Coincidentally, his feast day is today, February 8, in the Eastern Orthodox liturgical calendar.
This is the apocalyptic prophecy in Zechariah 14:1-9:
A day of the Lord is coming….
Then the Lord will go out and fight against those nations, as he fights on a day of battle. On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south…. Then the Lord my God will come, and all the holy ones with him.
On that day there will be neither sunlight nor cold, frosty darkness. It will be a unique day—a day known only to the Lord—with no distinction between day and night. When evening comes, there will be light….
The Lord will be king over the whole earth. On that day there will be one Lord, and his name the only name.
What the prophet Zechariah described is the end of all things, when our Lord will come for a second and last time.
“On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west“
So it’s most fascinating that geologists have discovered an earthquake fault line running east to west right through the Mount of Olives in the heart of Jerusalem.
From “The Geography of the Mount of Olives” by Sefi Ben Yosef:
The Mount of Olives is a long and narrow mountain that stretches along the eastern edge of Jerusalem in a general north-south direction. Its summit lies in the center of the village of Abu Tor, at an altitude of about 820 meters above sea level, and approximately 100 meters above the Old City of Jerusalem….
The fault line from west to east, in the southern portion of the Mount of Olives, has elevated the mountain northward and exposed layers of limestone and dolomite from the Cenomanian-Turanian Period in the western section of the mountain, the same section that faces the Judean anticline.
Now, how could Zechariah, in 520 BC, know that an earthquake fault line runs east to west under the Mount of Olives?
According to Grace thru faith and several other websites, in 1964, when King Hussein of Jordan had the Intercontinental Hotel built on top of the Mount of Olives, engineers discovered the fault line running through the original construction site, which was directly East of the Temple Mount. They relocated the site to the south, desecrating hundreds of Jewish graves in the process, and built the hotel there. Today it’s called the Seven Arches Hotel.
The discovery of the earthquake fault line under the Mount of Olives leads Callum Hoare to write in the UK Express, Feb 7, 2019:
A Biblical prophecy could be fulfilled after geologists discovered a sign along a famous mountain range described in the Bible as being integral to the story of Jesus Christ’s second coming.
Mount Olivet, also known as the Mount of Olives, is a rock formation located east of Jerusalem’s Old City. It got its name from the olive groves that once covered its slopes and is popular among Christians for apparently playing a key part in several of Jesus’ life events. However, it may also hold a clue to his second coming, a strange find suggests.
See also these other confluences of science and Christianity, and of science confirming Biblical accounts:
- The Epiphany: The Magi and the Christmas Star
- The child to be born will be the Son of God — on Jesus’ DNA.
- Stunning new study found human and all animal species today originated only 100,000 to 200,000 years ago
- 3D image of Shroud of Turin man: This is what Jesus looks like!
- New evidence dates Shroud of Turin to time of Christ
- Yet more evidence dating Shroud of Turin to time of Christ
- Geologists confirm Jesus crucified on Friday, April 3, 33 AD
- Archeologists find evidence of the obliteration of Sodom-Gomorrah
- New evidence suggests ancient Tower of Babel was real
- Bible vindicated by recent discovery of farming along Sea of Galilee 23,000 years ago
- Wheels on the bottom of the Red Sea
- New research finds Earth’s core to be mostly sulphur, aka brimstone
- New research on human hand proves humans did not evolve from chimps
- Scientists locate conscience in human brain
- Physicists discover humans have souls
- Study by 32 scientists shows there’s consciousness after death
- The Physics of Heaven
Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!