Firefighters use oxygen on hamsters rescued from blaze

Photo from Lacey Fire Department

Photo from Lacey Fire Department

KOMO (Lacey, WA): Firefighters were forced to dig through their “pet emergency pocket guides” on Friday when they rescued a family of hamsters from a burning mobile home in Lacey.
Firefighters responded to a structure fire in the 6800 block of Martin Way just before 3 p.m. on Friday.
The crews made quick work of the fire, but their day of heroics was just beginning. While battling the fire, firefighters spotted a family of hamsters inside the burning building.
They grabbed the five rodents — later identified as Oreo, Madonna and three unnamed babies — and brought them outside to safety.
laceyUsing the knowledge gleaned from their “pet emergency pocket guides,” firefighters treated the injured hamsters with oxygen and other first aid equipment.
Tim Hulse with the Lacey Fire Department said the team was able to save all but one of the hamsters.
“Yes. Our crews are trained and specially equipped to care for animals that have been rescued from a house fire,” Lacey Fire Department officials tweeted following the rescue.
Nobody was inside when the fire started and no firefighters were injured, Hulse said. A preliminary investigation indicates the fire started in the clothes dryer in the laundry room, according to the fire department.
Good job firemen!

Rate this post

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Notify of
Dr. Eowyn

God bless the tender hearts of these firemen. Sniff, sniff….


OK, great work and well done. Now where can I get one of those “pet emergency pocket guides”?
Maybe get a dozen and send out at Christmas to my pet-lover friends….


What a beautiful story! It tells much about these firemen’s souls, what great men to have such care for ” the least of God’s creatures.”👼