Feel good story: Seattle firefighters resuscitate 2 cats trapped inside burning home

Photo courtesy of Seattle Fire Department

Photo courtesy of Seattle Fire Department

KOMO: No one was home at the time of a fire that broke out at a home in south Seattle Wednesday evening, but firefighters were able to rescue two cats that were trapped inside.

Seattle Fire officials say the fire started on the back porch of a home in the 3200 block of S. Hudson St. just after 7 p.m.

“I heard a big explosion and black and smoke and I came down to see what was going on and it was a house exploding and two cats inside,” said neighbor LaShaundra Burke.

Firefighters found the two cats unconscious inside but were able to bring them out and resuscitate them.

“Both cats were in really bad shape,” said Seattle Fire paramedic Norris Edwards. “Neither one was breathing very much at all and they looked like they weren’t going to make it. But (paramedic) Kelly (Bursa) and I got oxygen on them and stimulated them, did a little bit of chest compression and that with the oxygen, we were able to get them breathing a lot better and wake them up.”

Medics said since no people were inside the home and there were no human injuries, they were able to focus their attention on the sick cats.

“A wonderful thing that they are alive now,” said paramedic Kelly Bursa.

Investigators say improperly discarded smoking materials started the fire, which caused $150,000 in damage.

Photo courtesy of Seattle Fire Department

Photo courtesy of Seattle Fire Department

Loves a happy ending!


Please follow and like us:
Tweet 20

Leave a Reply

Notify of

Thank you firefighters and paramedics in saving these pets. I’m sure the owners are grateful.



Dr. Eowyn

God bless these firefighters for rescuing the littlest among us!