Campus Reform: Calling all fathers: if you have a daughter and have called her “princess” or treat her like one, you are sexist and inhibiting her ability to be an independent and self-reliant woman, according to a study released by two psychology professors at Marquette University.
Similarly, if you are a daughter and allow someone to call you princess or accept special treatment, you are also sexist.
Professors Stephen Franzoi and Debra Oswald lay out these extensive claims in their article “Experiencing Sexism and Young Women’s Body Esteem,” written by the duo back in 2012. Two years later, their study is gaining recognition thanks to their recently publicity on the website Medium.
Franzoi and Oswald’s studies suggest that “young women’s body esteem is affected by hostile or even ‘benevolent sexism’ from family members in everyday experiences.” They claim family dynamics that appear outwardly positive to the general population can actually be a form of discrimination that undermines gender equality.
“I would encourage people to pay attention to their habitual way of thinking … and to ask themselves whether their gendered habits limit them in fully developing their potential and the potential of those around them,” Franzoi said.
Such limiting, sexist acts could include allowing your daughter to remain financially dependent on her family, encouraging her to use cosmetics, graciously holding the door open for her, or making her feel “special” in anyway.
The two Marquette professors conducted the study based on the responses of 86 first-year female college students. The experiment consisted of two parts. Students were first asked to rank their attitudes on traditional female roles and characteristics. The second portion of the experiment had the students rank 35 of their own body parts based on Franzoi’s Body Esteem Scale, which he created back in 1984. The scale determines how the students perceive their physical attractiveness based on weight and physical condition.
Both professors grew concerned when the study revealed that those young females with a higher self-esteem were essentially the same group as those who were “praised and spoiled” by their fathers; or as put by the professors, experienced “benevolent sexism.”
“This pattern of sexist behavior restricts what the woman can and cannot do by setting up rewards and punishments when they engage in gender non-conforming behaviors,” Oswald said. “Truly loving behavior toward a partner does not have this contingency.”
The professors say young these females can’t maintain a high self-esteem without such treatment from their fathers and that any early financial dependency is indicative of their inability to be monetarily independent in the future.
I’m so sick of this progressive baloney that says women can’t have high self-esteem due to some perceived gender sexist crap. But these progressives always love to come up with some excuse for why women can’t achieve their potential – perpetual victimhood is easier than actually growing up and being personally responsible for your own actions.
- Sanctuary King County, WA: Convicted rapist and illegal alien freed after 9 months returns to attack his disabled victim second time
- Angela Merkel has the Hillary-Clinton shakes
- How’s that gun control working for London? Five attacks leave three dead in 24 hours
- MAGA: President Trump raises $24.8M for re-election in less than 24 hours
- Joe Biden, 76, wants a violent civil war
- U.S. Catholic bishops changed meeting venue from $600/night luxury resort only after 22 bishops threatened not to attend
- Claro que si: New York approves driver’s licenses for illegal aliens
- The what-was-she-thinking Caption Contest
- We have a winner!
- Corruption: Defense Secretary James Mattis made secret $10B no-bid Pentagon contract with Amazon
- Sanctuary King County, WA: Convicted rapist and illegal alien freed after 9 months returns to attack his disabled victim second time on
- Angela Merkel has the Hillary-Clinton shakes on
- Angela Merkel has the Hillary-Clinton shakes on
- Insanity in Seattle: Homeless man attempts to kidnap child. Guess how many previous arrests/convictions he has… on
- There really are sex orgies of the global elite on
- Adrenochrome and Elite Vampirism on
- How’s that gun control working for London? Five attacks leave three dead in 24 hours on
- Hillary Clinton collapses at 9/11 memorial – mysterious metal piece falls out of her pant leg on
- U.S. Catholic bishops changed meeting venue from $600/night luxury resort only after 22 bishops threatened not to attend on
- Joe Biden, 76, wants a violent civil war on
Most read posts
- U.S. Catholic bishops changed meeting venue from $600/night luxury resort only after 22 bishops threatened not to attend 694 views
- Joe Biden, 76, wants a violent civil war 621 views
- Justice served: Democrat sells home to pay settlement to Sen. Rand Paul for assault 313 views
- Corruption: Defense Secretary James Mattis made secret $10B no-bid Pentagon contract with Amazon 184 views
- Sandy Hook: 6 signs that school was closed before massacre 182 views
Founded 12-23-2009. Burned down by WordPress 8-15-2018 with 63M hits. Resurrected 8-23-2018. DDOS attacks began 11-10-2018. Massive Spam attacks on 12-3-2018.
Subscribe to FOTM here:Thank you!