Chicago Tribune: A federal judge today declared Chicago’s ordinance banning the sale of firearms in the city unconstitutional.
In his 35-page ruling, U.S. District Judge Edmond Chang wrote that the city failed to persuade him that banning the sale of guns by licensed dealers was necessary to reduce gun violence that has plagued the city.
“Chicago’s ordinance goes too far in outright banning legal buyers and legal dealers from engaging in lawful acquisitions and lawful sales of firearms, and at the same time the evidence does not support that the complete ban sufficiently furthers the purposes the ordinance tries to serve,” Chang wrote.
The ruling is the latest legal blow to the city, which has lost a series of court challenges by the National Rifle Association since the Supreme Court forced the city to rewrite its blanket ban on handguns three years ago.
Chang delayed his ruling from taking effect to allow the city time to appeal.
A city Law Department spokesman did not immediately return calls for comment.
The ruling stems from a 2010 lawsuit filed by three residents and an association of Illinois firearms dealers.
The suit alleged the city’s revamped ordinance violates the right of Chicago residents to keep and bear arms under the 2nd and 14th Amendments and challenged the ordinance’s provision allowing residents to have guns inside their houses but not in their garages, back porches or outside steps.
Score one for the Second Amendment!
- Michigan teacher under investigation for assaulting female student over her #WomenForTrump pin
- Chinese scientists play God: First ever pig-monkey hybrids
- Keep your kids far, far away from Lakers games: Obese singer Lizzo twerks in a thong at Staples Center
- Portland, OR to require all new buildings, incl. private homes, provide ‘rest and welcome’ to homeless
- Marvel reveals “transgender” 12-year-old super hero “Mighty Rebekah”
- 2019 ‘Naughty or Nice’ Christmas Shopping List
- Mom slammed for saying “Father Christmas” instead of PC-accepted, “gender neutral” Santa
- Hypocrite Hanoi Jane: While she’s “fighting” for the climate, fundraising platform she partners with promoting travel and car giveaways
- Obama violates Logan Act by undermining Trump administration with foreign governments
- Pure love: Pups welcome home their soldiers!
- Portland, OR to require all new buildings, incl. private homes, provide ‘rest and welcome’ to homeless on
- Keep your kids far, far away from Lakers games: Obese singer Lizzo twerks in a thong at Staples Center on
- Michigan teacher under investigation for assaulting female student over her #WomenForTrump pin on
Most read posts
- Portland, OR to require all new buildings, incl. private homes, provide 'rest and welcome' to homeless 9,898 views
- 2019 'Naughty or Nice' Christmas Shopping List 444 views
- Keep your kids far, far away from Lakers games: Obese singer Lizzo twerks in a thong at Staples Center 308 views
- Walmart, Amazon and Target are selling book for children as young as 5 to summon demons 257 views
- Marvel reveals "transgender" 12-year-old super hero "Mighty Rebekah" 234 views
Founded 12-23-2009. Burned down by WordPress 8-15-2018 with 63M hits. Resurrected 8-23-2018. DDOS attacks began 11-10-2018. Massive Spam attacks on 12-3-2018.