A Washington, DC committee formed by Mayor Muriel Bowser has recommended changing the names of schools and government buildings and has even called for the federal government to “remove, relocate or contextualize” a group of federal memorials and monuments, including the Washington Monument, the Jefferson Memorial, and the Benjamin Franklin Statue. Bowser’s committee, the District of Columbia Facilities and Commemorative Expressions (DC FACES), submitted the final executive report Monday (August 31, 2020).
The report covered surveys of DC’s named, government-owned buildings (libraries, schools, rec centers, etc), parks, statues in DC Government-owned parks, miscellaneous other named public spaces, and even city streets. The committee cataloged the race of people whose names appeared and discovered that fully seventy percent of government properties were named after white people. It is these people whose names are slated for erasure. Just a sample of the names is enough to demonstrate the level of racism and hatred being directed at once prominent white people.
1.Alexander Graham Bell – Bell Multicultural High School
2. Robert Brent – Brent Elementary School
3. Jehiel Brooks – Brookland Middle School
4. James Monroe – Bruce-Monroe Elementary School @ Park View
5. James Birney – Excel Academy/Lee Montessori PCS – East End (at Birney School)
6. Charles William Eliot – Eliot-Hine Middle School
7. Anthony T. Hyde, Henry Addison – Hyde-Addison Elementary School
8. Thomas Jefferson – Jefferson Middle School
9. Francis Scott Key – Key Elementary School
10. Zachary Taylor – Ludlow-Taylor Elementary School
11. John Walker Maury – Maury Elementary School
12. William Winston Seaton – Seaton Elementary School
13. Benjamin Stoddert – Stoddert Elementary School
14. Strong John Thomson – Thomson Elementary School
15. John Tyler – Tyler Elementary School
16. John Peter Van Ness – Van Ness Elementary School
17. Joseph Rodman West – West Education Campus
18. Woodrow Wilson – Woodrow Wilson High School
19. C. Melvin Sharpe – Bridges PCS Sharpe Campus
20.William Benning – DC Prep PCS, Benning Elementary
21. Matthew Gault Emery – Emery School (CHOICE Academy)
Parks and recreation
1. James D. Barry – Barry Farm Playground
2. William Benning, Benjamin Stoddert – Benning Stoddert Playground, Garden
3. Robert Brent – Brentwood Playground, Brentwood Hamilton Field
4. James Monroe – Bruce-Monroe Community Garden
5. Matthew Gault Emery – Emery Heights Playground, Garden
6. Henry Foxall – Foxhall Playground
7. Thomas Jefferson – Jefferson Field
8. Guy Mason – Guy Mason Playground
9. William Henry Harrison – Harrison Playground
10. James Greenleaf – King-Greenleaf Playground
11. Benjamin Stoddert – Stoddert Playground
12. Abel P. Upshur – Upshur Playground
Bowser took to Twitter to announce her pleasure with her committee’s recommendations,saying, “”I look forward to reviewing and advancing their recommendations,”
The return tweets from her detractors in response were quick to respond .Interior Secretary David Bernhardt tweeted that no changes were going to happen as long as he was in office. “Not on my watch. Never going to happen,” he tweeted.
The White House also responded to the committee’s report.
“By publishing a plan that recommends potentially removing the Washington Monument, Christopher Columbus Statue, Andrew Jackson Statue, and Jefferson Memorial—among many other ludicrous recommendations—the radically liberal mayor of Washington, D.C., is repeating the same left-wing narrative used to incite dangerous riots: demolishing our history and destroying our great heritage,” White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said in a statement.
“Our Nation’s capital is rightly filled with countless markers, memorials, and statues to honor and respect the men and women who built this country. President Donald J. Trump believes these places should be preserved, not torn down; respected, not hated; and passed on for generations to come. As long as President Trump is in the White House, the mayor’s irresponsible recommendations will go absolutely nowhere, and as the mayor of our Nation’s capital city—a city that belongs to the American people—she ought to be ashamed for even suggesting them for consideration,” McEnany concluded.
The full report can be read here: