Category Archives: Obama scandals

Most Support Temporary Ban on Newcomers from Terrorist Havens

maga

State Run Media hardest hit.

From Rasmussen Reports: Most voters approve of President Trump’s temporary halt to refugees and visitors from several Middle Eastern and African countries until the government can do a better job of keeping out individuals who are terrorist threats.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 57% of Likely U.S. Voters favor a temporary ban on refugees from Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen until the federal government approves its ability to screen out potential terrorists from coming here. Thirty-three percent (33%) are opposed, while 10% are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Similarly, 56% favor a temporary block on visas prohibiting residents of Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen from entering the United States until the government approves its ability to screen for likely terrorists. Thirty-two percent (32%) oppose this temporary ban, and 11% are undecided.

This survey was taken late last week prior to the weekend protests against Trump’s executive orders imposing a four-month ban on all refugees and a temporary visa ban on visitors from these seven countries.

These findings have changed little from August when 59% of voters agreed with Trump’s call for a temporary ban on immigration into the United States from “the most dangerous and volatile regions of the world that have a history of exporting terrorism” until the federal government improves its ability to screen out potential terrorists.

The survey of 1,000 Likely Voters was conducted on January 25-26, 2017 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

Other items of note from Rasmussen:

  • The refugee ban is supported by 82% of Republicans and 59% of voters not affiliated with either major party. Democrats are opposed by a 53% to 34% margin. The numbers are
  • Among voters who Strongly Approve of the job Trump is doing, over 70% support both bans. Similar numbers of those who Strongly Disapprove of his job performance are opposed.
  • Most voters opposed former President Obama’s plan to bring tens of thousands of Middle Eastern and African refugees here this year. Sixty-two percent (62%) said Obama’s plan posed an increased national security risk to the United States.
  • Just 32% think the United States is safer now after eight years of the Obama presidency. In late December, 34% of voters said the United States will be safer from domestic terror attacks five years from now. Twenty-seven percent (27%) believe it will be less safe, while 32% expect the level of danger to be about the same.

Read the whole report here.

DCG

Advertisements

Live stream of Trump’s press conference today – Open Thread

In the wake of CNN’s fake news report on Russia having “compromising” information on President-elect Donald Trump — which fell apart in less than 24 hours because of the vigilant Alternative Media — this press conference should be a doozy.

See “CNN Fake News: U.S. intelligence memo says Russia has ‘compromising’ information on Trump

I can’t wait to see Trump chew up the MSM, especially CNN, and spit them out.

Bring popcorn!

Click here for the livestream.

~Eowyn

 

 

Obama awards himself a DOD Distinguished Public Service Medal

Imagine if you’re a military general.

You tell your underling to pin an award medal on you.

I think y’all will agree that the general just gave an award to himself, which is vain and plain ridiculous.

That’s exactly what Obama, Commander in Chief of the U.S. military, did two days ago on January 4, 2017.

obama-distinguished-public-service-medal-getty

Josh Lederman and Vivian Salama report for the Associated Press (via The Herald Dispatch), Jan 4, 2017, that Obama met Wednesday with military leaders for the last time at a farewell ceremony at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, a short drive from the White House:

“Prior to his remarks, Defense Secretary Ash Carter presented Obama with the Medal of Distinguished Public Service as a token of appreciation for his service as commander in chief. […]

Addressing a room of men and women from the various branches of the military, Obama praised their service and sacrifice. He said there is ‘no greater privilege and no greater honor’ than serving as commander in chief.

‘As I reflect on the challenges we have faced together and on those to come, I believe that one of the greatest tasks before our armed forces is to retain the high confidence that the American people rightly place in you,’ Obama said. ‘We must never hesitate to act when necessary to defend our nation, but we must also never rush into war because sending you into harm’s way should be a last and not first resort.’ […]

President Barack Obama called for a smooth handover of control of the U.S. military to incoming commander in chief Donald Trump, as the outgoing president met Wednesday with military leaders for the last time.

‘We’ve got to make sure that during this transition period that there is a seamless passing of the baton, that there’s continuity,’ Obama said. He said it was critical to ensure that ‘we are doing everything we can to make sure that the next president will benefit from the same kinds of outstanding advice and service that these people around the table have provided me.'”

Blah, blah, blah, blah . . . .

Medal of Distinguished Public Service as Commander in Chief?

Ash Carter, the ass-kisser, must mean these distinguished accomplishments of CIC Barack Obama:

H/t Breitbart

~Eowyn

Obama’s pal catches major break in for-profit college deal

O's Chicago friends - Martin Nesbitt, Valerie Jarrett, Dr. Eric Whitaker

Nesbitt (far left) with Obama and fellow pals.

The “ethical fog” has been a permanent fixture in Obama’s administration. Just two more weeks…

From NY Post: A close pal of President Obama will be able to buy the for-profit parent of the University of Phoenix after federal regulators cut him and other buyers a major break, The Post has learned.

Marty Nesbitt — a Chicago business mogul who is widely considered Obama’s best friend — has won a loosening of stiff capital requirements that had threatened to derail the $1.1 billion deal for him and his partners, according to public filings reviewed by The Post.

The lowered capital strictures, quietly eased by the Department of Education in an unusual regulatory move last month, effectively seal the pending agreement by Nesbitt’s private equity firm, Vistria Group, to buy University of Phoenix owner Apollo Education at a fire-sale price, critics charge.

“I think every way you look at this transaction is questionable and suspicious,” said Diane Jones, the former assistant secretary for post-secondary education at the Education Department under President George W. Bush. Jones said the DOE typically does not change terms after making a public recommendation.

Adding to the potential controversy surrounding the DoE’s rare move to lower capital requirements, former Deputy Education Secretary Tony Miller — formerly a tough regulator of for-profit schools — is now a partner at Vistria Group.

On Dec. 20, the DoE lowered to 10 percent of the school’s Title IV federal student-aid funding from 25 percent the capital Apollo had to keep in a letter of credit, according to public filings. The other 15 percent can be put in escrow. The higher capital requirements were handed down just two weeks before the cut.

The lightened restrictions will allow Nesbitt to avoid triggering a provision that would allow the school’s owner to walk away from the deal if the DoE requires a letter of credit greater than 10 percent, the documents show. “I do believe the restrictions were going to kill the deal,” Mark Schneider, a former education official under President George W. Bush, told The Post. “I think there is a cloud of ethical fog.”

The for-profit college’s value could soar under Nesbitt’s ownership, critics say, as President-elect Donald Trump is expected to lighten rules that govern such schools after years of tough regulation by Obama administration officials.

Rival DeVry Education’s shares have risen by more than a third since the election, recently trading above $31 a share.

Obama had been on a crusade against for-profit schools, cracking down on predatory practices and blasting some colleges for “making out like a bandit” while their debt-riddled students struggled to find good jobs. He didn’t name any schools specifically.

Other curbs imposed on the deal Dec. 7 have remained, such as barring Apollo from adding any new programs or locations and capping enrollment at current levels. “The final terms, developed by legal and financial aid professionals, were not loosened,” a DoE spokeswoman insisted to The Post.

A Vistria spokeswoman said, “No one at Vistria has contacted the White House to advocate for an outcome of this transaction.”

Apollo Education declined comment beyond saying the deal was expected to close by February 1.

DCG

DHS memo indicates President Trump will hit the ground running with border wall construction

According to an internal Department of Homeland Security (DHS) memo that Reuters reviewed, once he’s inaugurated on January 20, President Donald Trump will hit the ground running on constructing that US-Mexico border wall he’s promised.

obama border patrol

Julia Edwards Ainsley reports for Reuters, Jan. 3, 2017, that the DHS memo “offers a glimpse into the president-elect’s strategy for securing the U.S. borders and reversing polices put in place by the Obama administration.”

The DHS memo recounts “wide-ranging” requests for documents and analysis by Trump’s transition team in a meeting the team had with DHS officials on December 5, 2016. Trump asked for the documents in order “to assess all assets available for border wall and barrier construction.”

Trump’s transition team asked for documents and information on:

(1) Copies of every executive order and directive Obama sent to immigration agents since he took office in 2009. (Note that President Trump can undo Obama’s executive orders with a wave of his pen and without Congressional consent or approval. See “How Trump can undo what Obama did in past 8 years”)

(2) A DHS aerial surveillance program called Operation Phalanx, which authorizes 1,200 Army National Guard airmen to monitor the southern border for drug trafficking and illegal migration. The program once deployed 6,000 airmen under President George W. Bush but was considerably scaled back by Obama.

(3) Whether federal workers have altered DHS’s biographic information about migrants “out of concern” for their civil rights and civil liberties. A DHS official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the agency interpreted this Trump transition team request to mean the transition team wanted to make sure that federal workers were not tampering with information to protect DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) recipients and other migrants from deportation.

Note: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is an Obama administration immigration policy that allows certain undocumented immigrants illegal aliens who entered the U.S. as minors (defined as before their 16th birthday) to receive a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation and eligibility for a work permit. To be eligible, they must have (illegally) entered the U.S. before June 2007; are under age 31 as of June 15, 2015; are currently in school or  a high school graduate or  honorably discharged from the military; have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor or otherwise pose a threat to national security. DACA does not provide lawful status or a path to citizenship. DACA has collected information including participants’ addresses that can theoretically be used to locate and deport them if the policy is reversed.

(4) DHS’s capacity for expanding “immigrant” detention.

(5) Resources available for building walls and barriers. DHS officials who attended the meeting with Trump’s transition team understood the request to include both the northern and southern borders. In response, U.S. Customs and Border Protection staffers identified:

  • Specific locations in more than 400 miles along the U.S.-Mexico border, and about the same distance along the U.S.-Canada border, where new fencing could be erected.
  • The costs of building a fence are estimated at $3.3 billion for 452 miles along the U.S.-Canada border, and $11.37 billion for 413 miles of fencing on America’s southwest border which would keep pedestrians as well as vehicles from crossing. Pedestrian fences require more staff and would cost $11.2 million per mile.

In fiscal year 2015, the latest year for which data is available, border patrol agents apprehended 331,333 illegal migrants on the U.S.-Mexico border, and 2,626 illegal migrants on the U.S.-Canada border.

H/t ZeroHedge

~Eowyn

Mexican man charged with rape had 19 deportations, removals

maldonado-geary-county-detention-center-photo

Repeat illegal alien offender Tomas Martinez-Maldonado/Photo from Geary County Detention Center

From The Wichita Eagle: A Mexican man accused of raping a 13-year-old girl on a Greyhound bus that traveled through Kansas had been deported 10 times and voluntarily removed from the U.S. another nine times since 2003, records obtained by The Associated Press show.

Three U.S. Republican senators — including Kansas’ Jerry Moran and Pat Roberts — demanded this month that the Department of Homeland Security provide immigration records for 38-year-old Tomas Martinez-Maldonado, who is charged with a felony in the alleged Sept. 27 attack aboard a bus in Geary County. He is being held in the Geary County jail in Junction City, which is about 120 miles west of Kansas City.

U.S. Sen. Charles Grassley, from Iowa and chairman of the judiciary committee, co-signed a Dec. 9 letter with Moran and Roberts to Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson, calling it “an extremely disturbing case” and questioning how Martinez-Maldonado was able to re-enter and remain in the country.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said it has placed a detainer — a request to turn Martinez-Maldonado over to ICE custody before he is released — with Geary County. ICE declined to discuss his specific case beyond its October statement regarding the 10 deportations.

Court filings show Martinez-Maldonado has two misdemeanor convictions for entering without legal permission in cases prosecuted in 2013 and 2015 in U.S. District Court of Arizona, where he was sentenced to serve 60 days and 165 days respectively.

A status hearing in the rape case is scheduled for Jan. 10. Defense attorney Lisa Hamer declined to comment on the charge, but said, “criminal law and immigration definitely intersect and nowadays it should be the responsibility of every criminal defense attorney to know the possible ramifications in the immigration courts.”

Nationwide, 52 percent of all federal prosecutions in the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30 were for entry or re-entry without legal permission and similar immigration violations, according to Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University.

It’s not unusual to see immigrants with multiple entries without legal permission, said David Trevino, a Topeka immigration attorney also representing Martinez-Maldonado. Most of Martinez-Maldonado’s family lives in Mexico, but he also has family in the United States, and the family is “devastated,” Trevino said.

“(President-elect Donald Trump) can build a wall 100 feet high and 50 feet deep, but it is not going to keep family members separated. So if someone is deported and they have family members here … they will find a way back — whether it is through the air, under a wall, through the coast of the United States,” Trevino said.

He declined to comment on his client’s criminal history and pending charge.

Records obtained by AP show Martinez-Maldonado had eight voluntary removals before his first deportation in 2010, which was followed by another voluntary removal that same year. He was deported five more times between 2011 and 2013.

In 2013, Martinez-Maldonado was charged with entering without legal permission, a misdemeanor, and subsequently deported in early 2014 after serving his sentence. He was deported again a few months later, as well as twice in 2015 — including the last one in October 2015 after he had served his second sentence, the records show.

ICE said in an emailed statement when it encounters a person who’s been deported multiple times or has a significant criminal history and was removed, it routinely presents those cases to the U.S. attorney’s office for possible criminal charges.

Cosme Lopez, spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office for the District of Arizona, declined comment on why prosecutors twice dismissed felony re-entry after deportation charges against Martinez-Maldonado in 2013 and 2015 in exchange for guilty pleas on misdemeanor entry charges.

Arizona ranks third in the nation — behind only the Southern District of Texas and the Western District of Texas — for the number of immigration prosecutions among the nation’s 94 federal judicial districts for the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, TRAC records show.

Moran told the AP in an emailed statement that the immigration system is “broken.”

“There must be serious legislative efforts to address U.S. immigration policy, and we must have the ability to identify, prosecute and deport illegal aliens who display violent tendencies before they have an opportunity to perpetrate these crimes in the United States,” he said.

DCG

7 asylum-seekers suspected of trying to set homeless man on fire in Germany

Germany Anti Islamization Rally

A protestor holds a poster with an image of German Chancellor Angela Merkel wearing a headscarf in front of the Reichstag building with a crescent on top during a rally of the group Patriotic Europeans against the Islamization of the West, or PEGIDA, in Dresden, Germany, Monday, Jan. 12, 2015. (AP Photo/Jens Meyer)

Ain’t multiculturalism grand?

From Fox News: German investigators were questioning seven young men suspected of trying to set a homeless man alight in a Berlin subway station over Christmas.

Six of the suspects turned themselves in Monday evening and the seventh was arrested after authorities released surveillance camera pictures and video footage of them in a subway train, police said Tuesday.

The suspects are between 15 and 21. Six are from Syria and one is from Libya, and all came to Berlin as asylum-seekers, according to prosecutors.

The 37-year-old homeless man was sleeping on a bench in the Schoenleinstrasse subway station when his clothes were set ablaze at around 2 a.m. Sunday. Passers-by extinguished the paper that he apparently had used to cover himself, and a train driver used a fire extinguisher to prevent the flames from spreading.

The man, who was intoxicated, was unhurt.

Prosecutors are seeking to keep all seven suspects in custody pending possible charges on suspicion of attempted murder.

DCG