Category Archives: #BlackLivesMatter

Leader of Portland Resistance pleads guilty to sex abuse; now a registered sex offender

micah rhodes

Micah Rhodes, with his purple hair and BLM shirt.

From KATU: A former leader of a local protest group pleaded guilty to two sex abuse charges in Multnomah County Tuesday.

Micah Rhodes was arrested in January 2017 on misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct, interfering with public transportation and a parole violation during a protest in Pioneer Courthouse Square.

While he was in custody, police learned he had sexual contact with a boy in Multnomah County and a girl in Washington County.

Rhodes is accused of having sex with a 17-year-old boy in 2015 after they met on GRINDR, a gay dating app.

According to court documents, Rhodes was arrested on first-degree sex abuse and first-degree sodomy when he met the boy. He was indicted on five counts of sex abuse in the Multnomah County case.

Oregon State Police said Rhodes is a registered sex offender.

On Tuesday, he pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree sexual abuse. He will be sentenced in June.

According to Oregon Live:

Rhodes, now 24, was a leader of the protest group Portland’s Resistance, which rose to prominence after Donald Trump won the presidential election in November 2016 and the group helped organize day after day of marches and rallies.

But Rhodes had long been a part of Portland’s activist scene before that and a familiar face at Portland City Council meetings. Among his notable achievements was helping stage a camp-out in front of then-Mayor Charlie Hales’ home in 2016.

h/t Moonbattery



Gun-control, Baltimore style: Man shot and killed while driving in funeral procession

Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh

Heckuva job mayor!

From Baltimore Sun: A man killed Saturday in West Baltimore’s Penrose neighborhood was driving in a funeral procession when he was shot in his car, Baltimore police confirmed Monday.

Dannta Holmes, 39, of the 1500 block of Shields Place, was found suffering from gunshot wounds in the 300 block of N. Monroe St. by officers who heard the gunfire while on patrol, said Detective Jeremy Silbert.

Holmes was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead. A preliminary investigation revealed suspects had approached the vehicle and opened fire before fleeing, Silbert said. He said he did not know for whom the procession was being held.

Another shooting, in which a 30-year-old man was wounded, occurred in Penrose on Wednesday. Baltimore police also identified on Monday two other men killed a day apart in the same neighborhood late last week.

Montrel Rivers, 20, of the 4000 block of Eierman Ave., was fatally shot in the upper body in a double shooting outside of a convenience store in the 1100 block of East North Ave. in East Baltimore Midway at about 2:30 p.m. Thursday, police said.

Rivers was pronounced dead at a local hospital. The other victim in the shooting, an unidentified 22-year-old man, was shot in the leg and taken to a local hospital for treatment, police said.

At about 8:50 p.m. Friday, Ronald Preston, 30, of the 800 block of Montpelier St., was found suffering from gunshot wounds in the 600 block of Gutman Ave., also in East Baltimore Midway, police said. Preston was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

As of Monday, there had been 47 homicides in Baltimore in 2018. That is fewer than during the same period last year, but more than during the same period in each of the previous five years.

The 342 homicides in 2017 marked a per-capita record in Baltimore. It was the third year in a row the city had surpassed 300 killings — a mark not previously reached in the city since 1999.

Mayor Catherine E. Pugh — who fired former Police Commissioner Kevin Davis in January and appointed Darryl De Sousa in his place — said Monday in a State of the City address that the city is moving in the right direction, but still has more work to do to halt the violence.

She said the “collateral damage” from homicides is generational and leaves long-term wounds. “This need not be, and it must not continue, and it will not,” Pugh said.

See also:


A good weekend in gun-controlled Chiraq: 3 killed, 11 wounded in shootings since Friday night


Don’t be surprised if the numbers go up by Monday morning.

From MyFoxChicago: Three people were killed and at least 11 others have been wounded in citywide shootings since Friday evening.

In the latest fatal shooting, two men were killed in a Little Village neighborhood auto shop on the Southwest Side. Officers responding to a call of a person shot at 5:49 p.m. in the 3300 block of South Lawndale Avenue found 56-year-old Gilberto Casteneda and a 33-year-old man unresponsive with gunshot wounds to their heads, according to Chicago Police and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office. They were both pronounced dead at the scene.

Hours earlier, a person was shot to death while driving in the South Side Longwood Manor neighborhood. About 3:50 p.m. Saturday, the male was driving north in the 9500 block of South Vincennes when a vehicle pulled up next to him and someone inside fired shots, police said. The male, whose age wasn’t immediately known, was shot in the chest and pronounced dead at the scene.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office didn’t immediately confirm his death.

The weekend’s most recent shooting left a man wounded Sunday morning in the South Austin neighborhood on the West Side. The 28-year-old man was shot in the leg about 4:30 a.m. in the 5400 block of West Adams St., police said. He was taken to Loretto Hospital, where his condition was stabilized.

At least 10 other people have been wounded in shootings across Chicago over the weekend.

In addition, a 3-year-old boy accidentally shot his 9-year-old cousin Saturday morning in the East Garfield Park neighborhood on the West Side, police said.

Last weekend, a man was killed and nine others were wounded in shootings across Chicago.

See also:


NSFW: Is this a new fad? The “No Lackin” challenge…

“No Lackin” as in “I’m not lacking a gun.”

According to Know Your Meme:

No Lackin Challenge is a video fad in which people film themselves brandishing firearms and pointing the weapons at unsuspecting victims to provoke them into displaying a firearm in return. The game is meant as a way to test the readiness of people who are living in high crime areas.

According to the HipWiki, the slang expression “no lackin” was initially popularized among Chicago gang members. On June 13th, 2012, rapper Lil Mister released a song titled “No Lackin.”

On August 15th, 2014, Urban Dictionary[4] user Been Krill submitted an entry for “No Lackin,” defining the term as “Not having a firearm on you.” The exact origin of the “No Lackin” challenge is unknown. The earliest known example was uploaded by YouTuber Chase BanzVIDEOS in a video titled “Never Get Caught Lacking in Chicago ‘Challenge’” on September 11th, 2017.”

Yet according to Snopes, this is not a real thing (they say it is “unproven”):

“Teenagers are participating in a dangerous new internet craze known as the “No Lackin Challenge,” and a Memphis boy was shot in the head during an instance of the fad gone awry.

Early, local reports of the incident didn’t describe the shooting as related to the No Lackin Challenge. The internet fad apparently involves participants drawing guns on one another; in the context of the No Lackin Challenge, “lackin” is purportedly a Chicago-area colloquialism defined as being caught without a firearm.

No matter the case for the origin or validity of this challenge, it appears that this is a thing, as evidenced by the videos on YouTube.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.


Gun control, Chiraq style: 21 shot (4 killed) over the weekend & woman grazed by bullet in her living room

Welcome to Chicago sign

Please tell me, those who support #GunControlNow, how’s that strict gun control working in Chiraq?

The details of the weekend shootings are below. The details about the woman grazed by a bullet in her living room are here.

From MyFoxChicago: Four men were killed and at least 17 other people have been wounded in President’s Day weekend shootings across Chicago (as of 2:00 pm on Sunday).

The most recent fatal shooting happened Sunday morning in the Scottsdale neighborhood on the Southwest Side. A male, whose age was unknown, was shot in the back about 5:22 a.m. in the 7700 block of South Kilbourn, according to Chicago Police. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The circumstances of the shooting weren’t immediately known.

Hours earlier, a man was killed and another was wounded in a shooting in the South Side Gresham neighborhood, police said. The men, ages 23 and 33, were standing on a sidewalk at 12:58 a.m. in the 1500 block of West 80th Street when they heard gunfire and realized they’d been shot, police said. The younger man suffered multiple gunshot wounds and the older man was shot in his legs. They were both taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where the younger man was pronounced dead and the older man was listed in good condition.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office didn’t immediately confirm the fatalities.

Another man was shot dead Saturday night in the Far South Side Altgeld Gardens neighborhood. About 8:50 p.m., 28-year-old Courvoisier L.M. Thurman was walking on the sidewalk in the 700 block of East 133rd Street when someone fired shots, striking him in the head, police said. Thurman was pronounced dead at the scene. He lived in the same block as the shooting.

Just over a day earlier, a man was killed in a Far South Side shooting that left another man critically wounded, police said.

Kaprice Griffin, 19, of Joliet, and an 18-year-old man were sitting in a vehicle about 8:15 p.m. in the 10200 block of South Hoxie when a group of males walked up and opened fire, police and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office said. Griffin was shot in the head and the younger man suffered a gunshot wound to the back. Both were taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where Griffin was pronounced dead at 11:58 p.m. and the other man was listed in critical condition.

The most recent nonfatal shooting happened Sunday morning in the Back of the Yards neighborhood on the South Side. A 37-year-old man suffered a gunshot wound to the thigh about 5:45 a.m. in the 4500 block of South Hermitage, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where his condition was stabilized. The circumstances of the shooting weren’t immediately known.

Last weekend, five people were killed and three others were wounded in shootings across the city.

Hey #GunControlNow crowd, see also:


Colts player Edwin Jackson, Avon man killed by suspected drunken driver in country illegally

From Indy Star:

UPDATE: The driver accused of killing Indianapolis Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson and Uber driver Jeffrey Monroe was an undocumented immigrant who used a fake name and has been deported twice in the past.

Indiana State Police detectives have determined the driver was 37-year-old Manuel Orrego-Savala, a citizen of Guatemala. He gave police the alias Alex Cabrera Gonsales after the early Sunday crash that killed Jackson and Monroe.

Officials said he had been deported in 2007 and in 2009.

Original story: Indianapolis Colts player Edwin Jackson and an Uber driver were both killed early Sunday after being struck by a suspected drunken driver along Interstate 70.

According to the Indiana State Police, the crash happened shortly before 4 a.m. Sunday along the westbound lanes of I-70, just west of Holt Road.

Police said Jackson and 54-year-old Jeffrey Monroe of Avon were standing near a stopped vehicle when a black Ford F-150 pickup truck drove onto the emergency shoulder and struck them both.

“Edwin was an amazing young man that filed our lives with joy and pride,” his family said in a statement to “He was kind, thoughtful, humble, passionate about football and loved his family. We ask that all who were blessed to have crossed his path remember him and his amazing smile.”

Read the rest of the story here.


Friday Funny: How to foil a robbery

A “dindu nuffin”, armed with a gun, tries to rob a cell-phone store.

A quick-thinking employee nonchalantly got up from her desk; got herself, another employee, and a customer with a baby out of the store; then locked the door with the robber inside.

The robber tried to shoot the door lock and smash the steel-bars reinforced glass door, failed, got down on his knees and prayed, before police arrived and took him away.

The female store employee deserves an award for her ingenuity.

WCMH reports, January 4, 2018, that the robbery took place in April 2017 in Latino Cellular store in Houston, Texas. John Bell pleaded guilty to aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon and was sentenced to five years in prison.

H/t John Molloy