I got a text this morning from a friend who says she’s self-quarantining herself (14 days) because yesterday while shopping in Costco, a woman “coughed on” her. My friend lives in a city with just one confirmed case of COVID-19 — a middle-aged man who recently returned from Italy.
Such is the media-driven hysteria about the COVID-19 coronavirus.
While Americans are driven into a panic about coronavirus, here are some funnies to release your stress and tension!
P.S. This is what I texted back to my self-quarantined friend:
You have given into the media-driven hysteria. The CDC recommends self-quarantine only if (a) you have symptomatic laboratory-confirmed COVID-19; or (b) you are under investigation for having COVID-19. See CDC’s Q&A on coronavirus/COVID-19.
- Your city has only one confirmed case of COVID-19, so the probability of coughing woman having it is low.
- Did coughing woman display other symptoms of COVID-19 such as shortness of breath/difficulty breathing?
- Was her cough dry or wet (with mucous discharge)? If wet then it’s likely not COVID-19.
- Did you touch your face or mouth after being coughed on?
- Did you wash your hands or wipe them with an antibacterial alcohol-based hand sanitizer?
Here are the symptoms of COVID-19 (CDC):
The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel unwell. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness. People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention.
- What President Trump is doing about the coronavirus epidemic
- Coronavirus precautions you should take from a medical doctor- virologist
- Fake News telling lies about Covid-19, again
- Democrats weaponize coronavirus to take down President Trump