Category Archives: failed cities

Chiraq off to a typical week: 5 shot, 1 fatally Monday

The shootings never stop in Chiraq, even during Monday’s “accountability” meeting.

From MyFoxChicago: One person was killed and four others wounded in shootings Monday in Chicago, including a 27-year-old woman who was fatally shot while trying to fend off someone breaking into an apartment in Albany Park on the North Side.

She and a friend were inside the apartment about 9:32 p.m. in the 4400 block of North Francisco Avenue when they heard a knock at the door, Chicago police said. A male wearing all black with a ski mask tried to force his way in after they answered the door. Stephanie Brooks was shot in the chest as she tried to close the door, police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said. She was pronounced dead on the scene.

In non-fatal shootings, a 15-year-old boy was critically wounded after he was shot in Morgan Park on the Far South Side. He was walking about 6:48 p.m. when two males approached him in the 11300 block of South Aberdeen Avenue, pulled out a gun and shot him in the abdomen and shoulder, police said. The teen was taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, police said.

A 60-year-old man was shot while standing in a yard in Austin on the West Side. The shooting happened about 10:20 a.m. in the 500 block of North Leamington Avenue, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition with gunshots to his abdomen and chest, police said.

A 22-year-old woman was shot in Lawndale on the West Side. She was walking in the 2200 block of South Keeler Avenue about 9:15 a.m. when she heard gunshots and realized she was hit, police said. The woman was taken to Stroger Hospital with a gunshot wound to her leg, police said. She was listed in good condition.

A man was wounded in a shooting in Little Village on the Southwest Side. The 19-year-old was standing in an alley at 12:52 a.m. in the 2800 block of South Komensky Avenue when he heard shots and felt pain, according to police. He was hit in the abdomen and taken in serious condition to Mount Sinai Hospital, police said.

Five people were killed and 17 people were wounded last weekend in Chicago.

DCG

Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!

Please follow and like us:
error0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0 0
 

LA finally going to solve homeless crisis with “Housing Central Command”

The street of LA…

Like many progressive-run, West coast cities, Los Angeles has had a homeless crisis for many years.

In June 2019, it was announced that the number of homeless people in Los Angeles County jumped 12 percent over the previous year, despite $619 million in government tax spending tax payer dollars to help alleviate the problem.

After spending all that taxpayer money to barely make a dent in their crisis, the bureaucrats have come up with a solution: the creation of a “Housing Central Command” center. Details from Yahoo:

“Los Angeles city and county officials on Tuesday announced a new strategy to speed the process of getting homeless people into permanent housing that is modeled on the federal government’s response to natural disasters.

The creation of a “Housing Central Command” marks an overhaul of how agencies work together in addressing the growing number of people living on the street, according to the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority.

Previously the system was slowed by red tape and gaps in information showing what housing units were available and who is eligible to move into them, officials said. In some cases there was a waiting period of 10 months from a person being matched to housing to signing a lease.

“Nobody was holding the full picture of resources,” said LAHSA interim executive director Heidi Marston. “Our systems weren’t talking to each other.”

The new initiative uses a “war room model” inspired by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s approach to finding homes for people suddenly displaced by hurricanes, Marston said. Now officials will have access to real-time data showing housing availability as well as funding streams, according to LAHSA.

Since the launch in December, officials have identified some 3,000 potential housing units that were previously not part of the overall inventory, Marston said.

The central command is a major step toward restructuring a response system overseen by LAHSA that also includes housing and development authorities, the mayor’s office and health departments.

“We have a high number of people who need to be rehoused rapidly,” Marson said of the situation in greater Los Angeles, where officials have declared homelessness a state of emergency. Including crisis-response experts on a day-to-day basis shows that officials are treating the problem with the urgency it deserves, she said.

In its 2019 count, the authority reported that there were close to 60,000 homeless people living in LA County, with more than 36,000 of them in the city. All but about 25% live on the streets. Freeway overpasses are lined with tents, and it’s a common sight to see someone pushing a shopping cart filled with belongings through downtown.

According to LAHSA and Mayor Eric Garcetti’s office, an average of 130 homeless people in Los Angeles move into housing daily. However, an average of 150 people become homeless every day. “The homelessness crisis demands an emergency response, and moving the needle means being nimble, flexible and creative with our resources,” Garcetti said in a statement praising the new strategy.

Through the new process, officials also discovered $30 million of a $107 million grant from HUD to Los Angeles in 2017 had gone unspent within a calendar-year deadline, LAHSA said.

That happened because of low vacancy rates and higher market rates than public housing authorities could pay, LAHSA officials said, along with “landlord bias” against tenants with mental disorders or a history of homelessness.

“It is completely unacceptable that housing funds were left unspent when our unsheltered neighbors continue to languish out on the street,” said LA County Supervisor Hilda Solis. The new efforts will leave behind a “disjointed” system and “maximize all of the region’s resources,” she said.”

Read the whole story here.

While HUD Secretary Ben Carson met with Los Angeles officials a week ago to discuss strategies for addressing homelessness in Los Angeles, I’m not holding my breath that the demorats in charge will actually accomplish any major goals. Well, maybe just one: the “discovery” of more unspent taxpayer dollars.

DCG

Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!

Please follow and like us:
error0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0 0
 

Tolerant left: SF Giants snub Aubrey Huff from 10-year reunion due to his support of President Trump?

The San Francisco Giants have told former player Aubrey Huff that he will not be invited to their ten-year anniversary celebration of their World Series win. The reason?

According to SF Gate, Huff is not invited due to “a series of sexist and vulgar social-media posts.”

More from SF Gate:

“Earlier this month, we reached out to Aubrey Huff to let him know that he will not be included in the upcoming 2010 World Series Championship reunion,” the Giants said in a statement sent to the Chronicle and the Athletic. “Aubrey has made multiple comments on social media that are unacceptable and run counter to the values of our organization. While we appreciate the many contributions that Aubrey made to the 2010 championship season, we stand by our decision.”

Apparently the sexist comment was the following: Huff mocked the Giants’ hiring of Alyssa Nakken as the first female coach in major league history, tweeting he “couldn’t imagine taking baseball instruction from an ex female softball player. Have fun with that.”

Read the whole story here.

Huff ain’t having none of it. His response that he posted on Twitter (I couldn’t make graphic bigger, click on Twitter link to read original tweet):

Huff is a supporter of President Trump. See his Twitter feed here.

I find it ironic that the SF Giants consider anything Huff has said as “vulgar” considering their city hosts the perverted Folsom Street Fair. Don’t Google that with your safe search “off.”

Trust me (this link is NSFW).

Yet double standards and intolerance are to be expected from the oh-so-tolerant progressives.

DCG

Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!

Please follow and like us:
error0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0 0
 

Multnomah County receives grant to evaluate the “pre-trial system” from foundation with ties to Soros

This guy is ALWAYS involved in messing with our criminal justice system (and not in a good way).

KATU reports that Multnomah County (Portland, Oregon) is planning to change the way it looks at those arrested for a crime. They are to receive a $2M grant from the MacArthur Foundation to study the pre-trial system (aka “bail reform”), which decides who goes to jail and who is released.

MacArthur Foundations’ ties to Soros? See here, here and here.

From the KATU report:

“The county received this funding from the MacArthur Foundation, and staff tell KATU moving forward they only want people who pose a flight risk and a risk to public safety to be put behind bars.

“We have an assessment that shows how our system works: how it works well and the lots of spaces where there is room for improvement. We’ll be using these funds to determine what types of staff we can hire, probably some data capacity and some more project folks and some attorneys to help us figure out how the new system can be built,” said Abbey Stamp with the Local Public Safety Coordinating Council.

Jay Scroggin is the Adult Services Division Director for the county’s Department of Community Justice. He said they’ll spend the next two years creating a system based on science and risk.

What crime they did, and how much money they have in their pocket — which is our current system — does not predict whether they are likely to show up to court or likely to commit a crime while released,” Scroggin said.

Ultimately, Stamp said this could improve safety.”

Read the whole story here.

DCG

Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!

Please follow and like us:
error0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0 0
 

Chiraq’s gun control laws at work: Eleven children wounded in shootings since Friday night

Right before I published this post I saw that the number of kids shot went up from eight to eleven.

Mayor Lightfoot’s “Accountability Monday” meeting should be fun.

MyFoxChicago reports that since Friday night eight children were shot and wounded. The minors were wounded at a “gathering” at an apartment complex on the South Side. From their report:

“Three adults also were wounded in the shooting at the Parkway Gardens housing complex.

Police said a 14-year-old girl, 18-year-old man and 23-year-old woman were listed in critical condition. The girl suffered wounds to her back, shoulder, lower backside and leg, while the woman suffered wounds to her back, shoulder, head and stomach. The man suffered multiple wounds to his leg.

A 20-year-old man who suffered wounds to his face, chest and leg was listed in serious condition.

Another 14-year-old girl, who suffered a gunshot wound to her leg, and a 15-year-old girl with gunshot wounds to her leg and foot were in good condition, police said. The release said the circumstances leading to the shooting weren’t immediately known. Police said the 23-year-old woman was armed with a handgun, but didn’t say whether she fired the weapon.”

And despite having a “Child Access Prevention Law,” three minors were wounded during accidental shootings. These incidents involved a seven-year-old girl holding a gun and shooting an 11-year-old boy; a young boy playing with a gun and shooting an eight-year-old boy; and a 14-year-old girl shot in the cheek by a 15-year-old boy.

I wonder if any adults will be held responsible for allowing children to access their firearms?

Read about all the shootings here.

DCG

Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!

Please follow and like us:
error0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0 0
 

Judge finds that illegal alien cleared in Kate Steinle killing incompetent to stand trial for gun charges

From SF Gate: A Mexican man illegal alien who was acquitted of killing a woman on a San Francisco pier in a case that became a national flashpoint was found incompetent to stand trial Friday on federal gun charges.

U.S. District Court Judge Vince Chhabria (appointed by Obama) said in a court order that a psychiatric evaluator had concluded Jose Inez Garcia-Zarate was not competent to stand trial “because of mental illness that is not presently being treated.”

Chhabria said he would meet with lawyers from both sides next week to discuss the next steps. If either side objects to the findings, a hearing would likely be required to examine Garcia-Zarate’s competency. If neither side disputes the findings, the court will discuss whether the defendant should be treated locally for mental illness or sent to a federal facility outside California.

Defense attorney Tony Serra said he would contest the finding. “He is entitled to a hearing,” Serra said. “I’m protesting that he is competent enough for this case.”

Friday’s decision is the latest delay to a case that touched off a national debate over immigration and sanctuary city policies.

Garcia-Zarate was due to stand trial in January for two counts of illegal gun possession. But Chhabria postponed the trial for an evaluation amid concerns about his “apparent mental illness.”

President Donald Trump and others in his administration have repeatedly pointed to the case as a reason for toughening the country’s immigration policies. Garcia-Zarate was living in the country illegally and had been deported five times before the shooting.

Jurors in California court found him not guilty of killing Kate Steinle in 2015. But they convicted him of being a felon in possession of a gun, leading to a three-year jail sentence.

A state appeals court threw out the conviction last August, finding that jurors received improper instructions from the trial judge. Federal prosecutors then charged him with gun possession in 2017.

Garcia-Zarate acknowledged holding the gun that killed Steinle. But he said it fired accidentally when he found it wrapped in a T-shirt under a bench on the pier, where Steinle was walking with her father.

The weapon belonged to a U.S. Bureau of Land Management ranger who reported it stolen from his parked car.

The case fueled criticism of San Francisco’s sanctuary city policy, which limits local officials from cooperating with federal immigration authorities on deportations.

The San Francisco sheriff’s department released Garcia-Zarate from jail several weeks before the shooting despite a federal request to detain him until immigration authorities could take him into custody.

DCG

Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!

Please follow and like us:
error0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0 0
 

Not endearing: Seattle activist sings her protest at council meeting

This is your typical Seattle-area progressive.

Watch her whole performance here.

DCG

Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!

Please follow and like us:
error0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0 0
 

Chicago man on probation for robbery charged with double homicide

What do you know…another criminal who didn’t follow the laws and received lenient punishment. It’s almost appears that Chiraq’s strict gun control laws are meant to punish law-abiding citizens.

Alvin Thomas/Chicago Police photo

From MyFoxChicago: A 20-year-old man on probation for a robbery conviction is now charged in connection with a Sunday robbery in Chinatown where two men were shot to death when they resisted, police say.

Alvin Thomas, of South Shore, faces two counts of first-degree murder in the early morning shooting Feb. 9 in the 2000 block of South Wells Street, Chicago police said.

Huayi Bian, 36, and Weizhong Xiong, 38, were standing in the parking lot of an apartment complex with a 44-year-old woman about 2:13 a.m. when a man walked up and tried to rob them, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

The woman complied, but the men resisted, at which point the man fired multiple shots, police said. Both men were shot in the head and pronounced dead at the scene. The woman wasn’t hurt.

Thomas was arrested minutes later at 2:27 a.m. in the 2100 block of South Archer Avenue, police said. He is due for a bail hearing Tuesday.

At the time of his arrest, Thomas was on probation for a 2018 robbery charge in Chicago, according to county records. He was released on home electronic monitoring after posting a $5,000 bond, and pleaded guilty to the charge in July 2019. He was sentenced to two years probation with credit for 319 days already served, county records state.

While out on bond, Thomas was charged with manufacture and delivery of cannabis in February 2019, but the charge was dropped the next month, according to county records.

DCG

Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!

Please follow and like us:
error0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0 0
 

Man who shot up NYPD Bronx station just got out of jail for machine gun charge

According to the NY Post, this perp just got out of jail for a machine gun charge, has a homicide on his record, arrest for gun possession, and ambushed two cops the previous night.

Yet Gov. Cuomo claims New York has the “toughest gun control laws in the US.”

Maybe he means toughest for law-abiding citizens…

DCG

Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!

Please follow and like us:
error0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0 0
 

Liberal utopia of Seattle: Highway workers struggle to keep ahead of piles of trash

DCG

Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!

Please follow and like us:
error0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0 0