We humans like to think of ourselves as being superior to animals.
We flatter ourselves, convinced that only humans are rational, whereas animals merely act on the basis of “instincts” — whatever that’s supposed to mean.
To be rational is to be able to reason.
The Cambridge English Dictionary defines “reason” as “the ability of a healthy mind to think and make judgments, especially made on practical facts”. “Judgment,” in turn, means “the ability to form valuable opinions and make good decisions…after thinking carefully”.
In a short video that’s gone viral, originally posted on Twitter by physics-astronomy.org, a little dog sees a little girl, who’s barely able to walk, bend down by the side of a river to retrieve a ball from the water.
The dog anticipates and recognizes the danger of the little girl falling into the water. Displaying “reason” and “judgment,” the dog immediately runs to the girl and pulls her back from falling into the river.
Here’s the video (h/t PawMyGosh):
My question is this:
Obviously, a human took the video. Why didn’t the human do what the dog did by pulling the girl away from the river’s edge?
See these other acts of animal altruism and heroism:
- Cat protects 5-year-old boy from bullies
- Animal altruism: Turtle lends a helping hand to another
- 3-year-old boy kept alive by wild bear in freezing rain
- Animal altruism: Heroic penguin shields chicks from predator
- Animal altruism: Lions protect girl from abducters; dog leads owner to injured pup
- Family dog shot as she leapt to defend family being held at gunpoint during home invasion
- Chihuahua found help for elderly owner who fell and couldn’t get up for 5 hours
- In a flash, border collie saves tiny chihuahua from being run over by car
- Stray dogs ask human to save their friend who fell into a pool
- Dog uses own body to keep toddler alive in Siberian cold
- Blind dog, Norman, rescues drowning girl
- Service dog saves the lives of kittens abandoned in the woods
- Puppy ‘took the bullet’ to protect woman from rattlesnake
- Little dog saves 4 tiny kittens from fire
- 7 animals who saved humans
Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!