Cat comforts mourners at funerals

Christina Jones and Stuart Hague of Wirral, England, have an 8-year-old cat named Paddy.

The couple didn’t know how special Paddy is until about three years ago when they thought he’d gone missing, only to find him comforting mourners in a funeral home nearby in Mayfield’s, a woodlands burial ground situated alongside the River Mersey in Wirral. Operated by the Co-operative Funeral Care home, Mayfield’s is set within eighteen acres of natural countryside where families can choose to bury or scatter the ashes of a loved one.

Paddy appears to be psychic because he can sense when there is a funeral and would venture over to help the mourners grieve. Staff at the funeral home insist the ginger cat has a “sixth sense” for knowing exactly when to show up.

Paddy has attended over 100 funerals to date. Among the mourners he had comforted is veterinary nurse Jan McKinnon, who met Paddy after she lost her only daughter to breast cancer and now considers Paddy a member of her family.

H/t PawMyGosh

MarkyMark
MarkyMark

That’s nice! That’s why I love cats… 🙂

Alma

Paddy, You are indeed a smart kitty and beautiful.

trackback

[…] ago when they thought he’d gone missing, only to find him comforting mourners in … Continue reading →Source: Cat comforts mourners at funerals .fb_iframe_widget span{width:460px !important;} […]

My lady companion just lost her brother and she is a mess. Her cat, a shelter cat who was abused, has always been stand-offish but now he’s with her constantly, purring deeply and offering compassion. Cats know when we hurt and they are filled to overflowing with the purest love and kindness. They are a gift from God

Good kitty!

Emily Summer
Emily Summer

When my husband lay dying at home from cancer, his cat stayed by his side day and night, only leaving a few short minutes occasionally to drink water and grab a few bites of food and use the litter box. She lay close to him until his last breath. Mark Twain said, “Time spent with cats is never wasted”. Nurse is one of their jobs.

Watertender
Watertender

Cats know when you are in mourning. When my son died all of our cats knew he was gone. They stayed close to us purring and rubbing on us. The day my 1st wife died the cats knew there was something wrong when I got home. All of them sat with me as I told them that she had passed. When I started to bring my 2nd wife to the house the cats took right to her. At that time I had 5 cats. 4 of them are gone now and we have adopted another to keep our last original… Read more »

How beautiful.

Steven Broiles

Cats can smell certain chemical reactions that happen when people are about to die and after. That is what Paddy is likely reacting to. But at the same time, cats are capable of empathy.