Australian vegan sues neighbor for barbecuing meat

Massage therapist Cilla Carden of Girrawheen, a suburb of Perth, Australia, is a militant vegan.

9News and Daily Mail report that Carden is so incensed about her meat-eating neighbors that she actually sued them all the way up to the Supreme Court.

She complained that she’s fed up with the smell of meat cooking on the barbecue next door: “They’ve put it there so I smell fish, all I can smell is fish. I can’t enjoy my backyard, I can’t go out there. It’s been devastating, it’s been turmoil, it’s been unrest, I haven’t been able to sleep. It’s deliberate, that’s what I told the courts, its deliberate.”

Carden had been locked in a battle since late 2018 with Toan Vu, who lives next door with his wife and children. Carden complained not just about Vu’s barbecuing meat, but also his and his wife’s cigarette smoke, and their children slamming basketballs into their shared fence at all hours of the day. According to documents seen by Daily Mail Australia, Carden also demanded that Vu control the weeds in their garden, repaint common fences and repay the cost of plants damaged on common property.

Vu said he had removed his barbecue from his yard and banned his children from playing basketball, to no avail.

Sensibly, a Supreme Court Judge and the State Administrative Tribunal both dismissed her case on the grounds that the neighbors have done nothing wrong, that they did not make enough noice to make them a nuisance, and that no other neighbours had complained. Carden’s request in July to appeal the decisions was also refused.

But Carden says she won’t give up on her fight and will return to court soon.

Meanwhile, as reported by the New York Post, thousands of Aussies are planning to attend a cookout outside Carden’s home on Saturday, October 19.

The cookout is organized on the Facebook page, “Community BBQ for Cilla Carden”. The event description reads:

“Don’t let Cilla destroy a good old Aussie tradition, join us for a community BBQ, and help Cilla Carden GET SOME PORK ON HER FORK,” .

The Nazis at Facebook seem to have taken down the page because the link to the “Community BBQ for Cilla Carden” no longer works.

But before Facebook took it down, the “Community BBQ for Cilla Carden” page showed 6.3K people indicated they would attend, and another 14K people were interested.

Carden’s lawyer, John Hammond of Hammond Legal, threatened that anyone who attends the October 19 cookout would face criminal charges:

“Any person who seeks to attend Ms Carden’s property on Saturday, October 19, 2019, or at any other time in relation to this event or matter will be referred to the WA police on the grounds of trespass. Security cameras will be installed to obtain vision of any person attending the property and the vision will be provided to the police.

By way of explanation this matter has been blown out of proportion. Ms Carden has no objection to people eating meat and no objection to people having barbecues.”

Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!

kjf
kjf

I would be using a bbq for everything i cooked, and get a smoker just for her. That lady is a nut job.

She is described as a ‘militant vegan” which seems like a contradiction. I thought vegans were supposed to be all peaceful-like. We shouldn’t have objections to eating meat in principle, God gives us permission to do so. The issue should be with factory farming and the meat produced that is loaded with synthetic growth hormones, antibiotic residues, and God knows what else. This applies to poultry as well. And the animals are abused. IMO it is unethical to consume the flesh of animals that have been tortured. But I do anyway. Have to work on that. Eggs are the best… Read more »

Judy JJ Smith
Judy JJ Smith

I can relate to this. I have a covered porch designed for MY sanctuary in mind. I work crosswords and read and listen to music(turned down for me only) and have beautiful potted plants and comfortable furniture. I even have the back landscaped, not the front lawn because I enjoy the back every day. When the neighbors put up a above ground pool, I did feel bad. BUT, they have only used it 5 times and I just went inside to do something till they were gone. So, I can relate—and also, the other neighbors smoke and somehow the smoke… Read more »

Reply to  Judy JJ Smith

I have a neighbor who sometimes burns trash so we have to close all the windows to keep out the trash smoke. Fires are illegal here without a permit unless they are cooking fires, so if I call the police he’ll just say he’s toasting marshmallows or something. And they’ll say, well, enjoy your marshmallows, and I’ll have made an enemy who might, probably will, retaliate. So we live with it. The only alternative is to move

Well, okay. I was just looking to make a stupid joke/pun about beef. Because she’s a vegan. I have some friends who are vegan and they’re always sick, colds, flu, etc. Their business. I think this womans lawyer may be fanning the flames, looking for big payday. Maybe the neighbor has deep pockets. Who knows? Personally I hope they settle their differences and live happily ever after

kjf
kjf

Talking over some grilled steak and beer?
Somehow I do not think she is into talking things out, its her way or no way. I blame that on the lack of gelato in her diet. You just cannot reason with someone who will not enjoy chocolate chip gelato

Probably not. The neighbors seemed willing to accommodate her. I’ve become fairly adept at resolving conflicts starting from the assumption that our similarities vastly outweigh our differences. But when one party refuses to budge from a position of self-righteousness, which may be the case here, conflicts smolder. And most, like this one, are monstrously petty. We are born but to die and life is far too short for pettiness

Kelleigh
Kelleigh

Oh yeah, I’d be doing the same thing, bbq’ing everything. What a fruitloop loon…I guess there’s too many of them the world over.

Alma

Grin and bear it or move away. Case dismissed. Pay the cost to the courts for wasted time.

The neighbors behind us have seven dogs who poop in the back yard. The waste is never cleaned up so you can imagine the smell, especially on triple-digit days. I filed a complaint with Animal Control. Nothing has been done. I’m going to follow up next week. In the meantime, I’ve moved from enjoying my backyard to the front. And even on triple digit days, you can still get a whiff of that dog poop from the front. You can’t control which way the wind blows. You can’t control your neighbors’ activities – unless they are illegal. You can only… Read more »

Part of the problem is that you live in a place that has triple-digit days. And the wind never stops blowing. Having inconsiderate morons for neighbors is always made worse by hot weather. You can’t get away from morons, they are everywhere. I think God must have a special purpose for them because he created so many

Reply to  William

And there’s plenty of morons in my neighborhood. We just adopted a second cat that was abandoned by neighbors who moved. We got “Fatty” last year who was left behind and now we have “Cujo” whose owners moved on Wednesday. They left him behind. He’s sleeping on our couch and will be added to our family.

I guess it was God’s intention for Cujo to be with a good home 🙂

Our 17-year-old “Baby” isn’t too thrilled! It’s a daily chore to keep the kitties in line and manage this trio…

But we’re all happy and they are well fed and sheltered now. That’s a blessing.

williamofberkshire
williamofberkshire

God takes note of our kindness, or cruelty, to animals, as they are without sin. If only we could say the same. We got our white cat, Pashi, from a homeless cat project run by an amazing woman. Her house is wall to wall cats, she adopted out 700 last year. Not a “cat lady”, just a kind person who realizes, as we do, that there are no bad cats. Pashi was abandoned in a house with no food or water for days. By thoughtless morons

Pashi is a cute name!

It was Pasha, they thought he was female. One of those “gender binary” shelters:) He purrs like a lion and has an incredibly expressive face. I call him Facecat

Alma

Who stinks the most, the neighbors or the dogs’s poop?

Reply to  Alma

Both.

The old man who lives there – I saw him once take a broom handle to one of the dogs and kick it. Spoke to Animal Control about that, too. They can’t do anything unless there is visual, physical proof of abuse to the animal.

These fools have no business having any animals, let alone 8 (7 dogs and 1 cat).

Yep. I can’t even stand to look at these people behind me.

Dave
Editor

LOL – I would be buying a few more charcoal grills.

I already have four. 🙂

Reply to  Dave

Four grills? Evidently you don’t realize we’re in the middle of a Climate Crisis and your burning charcoal will cause the North Pole to melt and then NYC will be under a thousand feet of water. Come to think of it, buy a few more grills, and I will too. At least four 🙂

Dave
Dave

UK schools starting to ban meat from school lunches. None from home allowed either. And in New Zealand farmers are feeling depressed due to the government/ globalist sponsored campaign to demonize them for all of our environmental ills. When our government minister of finance and the minister of primary industries are the two main shareholders of 1080 use in NZ. Aerially dropped by the ton all over the land. No consent needed to drop into waterways, and no consultation with locals. And none of the food for export from NZ is tested for it. So my advise to people is… Read more »

Reply to  Dave

Wow. How did NZ get so messed up? A small country, a testing ground I suppose. The same thing happened in Canada, once a stable and sane, if boring, country, before it went all snowflake-crazy. What is 1080? It sounds like an IRS form so presumably it is similarly unsavory

Dave
Dave
Reply to  William

Sodium Fluoroacetate. A class 1a Ecotoxic poison with no antidote. Over 30.000 deer per year are tourtured to death over a 12 to 24 hour period every year. Highly restricted in the US. Should never ever be used any place near humans, or sources of water. NZ uses the most of any nation on earth, and does it mostly via helicopter dispersal. Watch ‘Poisoning Paradise’ on YT. Banned from TV here.
NZ has decided to be “predator free” by 2050. By torturing animals to death, and thus exploding rat populations.
Its hard core.
One has to conclude that they are very evil people actually.

Dave
Dave
Reply to  Dave

By the way, if you’re thinking of Trout fishing here, don’t. Trout have a high resistance to 1080. All the Major Trout fishing areas of NZ are heavily 1080 poisoned.