MyFoxChicago: A man was killed and at least 39 other people — including an 81-year-old woman — were wounded in shootings across Chicago between Friday afternoon and early Sunday.
About midnight Saturday, Ronnie Montgomery, 24, was found on the sidewalk in the 1300 block of West Hastings, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office. He had been shot in the chest and shoulder. Montgomery, of the 700 block of West Marquette, was pronounced dead at 1:20 a.m., according to the medical examiner’s office.
The 81-year-old great-grandmother, Iola Burress, was shot about 5 p.m. Friday, just minutes after viewing the body of her recently deceased daughter at a South Side funeral home. Iola Burress, 81, survived being shot four times, relatives told the Sun-Times. Her 34-year-old grandson, Sylvester Burress, was also shot in the drive-by attack in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood.
“It’s very hard right now because we’re trying to bury her daughter and assist her and then this happens today during the wake,” said Yolanda McBride, Burress’s granddaughter, on Friday. McBride’s mother, Laverne Burress, 60, is the daughter the 81-year-old was mourning. On Saturday, relatives said Iola Burress had to miss her daughter’s funeral.
Chicago Police said that Iola Burress and her grandson were standing outside in the 7800 block of South Carpenter when they were shot by someone who was in a passing white SUV.
The grandmother, who suffers from dementia, was shot in the right wrist and abdomen, while her grandson was shot in the hip, police said. They were both taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. Both were released on Saturday, relatives told the Sun-Times.
The most recent nonfatal shooting happened Sunday afternoon in Englewood.
About 12:20 p.m., a 22-year-old man was outside in the 400 block of West 65th Place when someone walked up and shot him in the right arm, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital in good condition.
At least 36 other people have been shot across the city since 1:55 p.m. Friday.
- Same old thing in Chicago: 2 dead, 24 wounded in weekend shootings across city
- Paging the #BlackLivesMatter crowd: 5 killed, 22 wounded in Chicago weekend shootings
- What’s happening in Chicago? Same old thing: 3 killed, 14 wounded in weekend gun violence
- Another typical weekend in Chicago: 3 killed, 18 wounded in weekend shootings
- New Year: Business as Usual in Chicago…
- Chicago ends 2014 with fewer homicides, but shooting victims up 14 percent
- #BlackLivesMatter? What about blacks in Chicago? And black babies?
- This is a good weekend in Chicago: 3 dead, 11 wounded in weekend shootings (11/24)
- Monday Chicago shooting report: Same story every weekend…(10/27)
- Chicago gun violence: What is it going to take to get people mad? (10/6)
- Paging Emanuel, Sharpton and Jackson: Do you know what’s happening in Chicago EVERY weekend? (9/29)
- A good weekend in Chicago? Less than a dozen shot (9/15)Quiz time: How many were shot in Chicago over the weekend? (9/8)