James Garner passed away yesterday at age 86.
I liked James Garner.
Among the reasons why I liked him was that, unlike so many Hollyweirdos, he’d stayed married to the same woman for 56 years.
I liked James Garner until I read this morning that, in his memoir The Garner Files (2011), he admitted that he:
- Smoked pot for most of his adult life.
- Snorted cocaine with actor John Belushi who died from a drug overdose.
- Described himself as a “bleeding-heart liberal” and a “card-carrying Democrat.”
- Thought that Adlai Stevenson was “the most intelligent presidential candidate we’ve ever had.”
- Regarded Barack Obama to be the second most intelligent presidential candidate the United States ever had: “I think Obama runs a close second” to Adlai Stevenson.
Here are screenshots I took from The Garner Files on Amazon.com:
Amazon won’t allow me to take a screenshot of page 97 on what Garner wrote about Obama, but here’s the screenshot of my search result for the word “Obama”:
Garner also bad-mouthed Charleton Heston and other actors:
H/t National Enquirer