As I have mentioned here before: Many west coast, progressive-run cities have a homeless crisis that is exasperated by the fact that the bureaucrats do not enforce laws related to loitering, trespassing, public defecation, drug use and prostitution. This includes Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Sacramento, etc. See the following:
- Seattle Police refused to remove homeless from construction site before they caused $1.3 million fire damage
- Homeless Seattle man, accused of a stabbing, on the loose after failing to show up for court-appointed treatment program
- Seattle, you have a problem: Council, police & animal control ignore woman’s pleas for help; 3 dogs from illegal RV encampment maul her & her dog
- Liberal utopia of Seattle: Prostitutes flooding the streets due to lack of law enforcement
- Scared in Seattle: Citizens terrorized by the homeless & sidewalks turned into toilets
- Liberal utopia of Portland, Oregon: Entire city block and family bike path taken over by homeless
- Liberal utopia of San Francisco: Feces, needles and drugs, oh my!
- Liberal utopia of San Francisco hires staff to clean up feces off their streets
- Tourists shocked by what they see on San Francisco streets
- Sacramento to spend $400,000 to clean up human feces and garbage created by the homeless
Marysville, just north of Seattle in Snohomish County, is pro-actively doing something to address their homeless. Their method? Accept help or go to jail.
Mayor Nehring appeared on the Jason Rantz show and spoke about their approach to dealing with the homeless. He spoke about the results of the Embedded Social Worker program, calling it a “partnership approach that balances compassion with enforcement to make real differences.”
He tweeted the following statistic (which occurred in just six months) on December 5:
“Marysville’s law enforcement-embedded social worker program is seeing great early success!
- Substance abuse assessments completed: 111
- Treatment provided: 43
- Detox completed: 40
- Graduates of long-term treatment: 19
- Housing secured: 37”
According to the January 2018 Point-in-Time January Count Summary for Snohomish County (where Marysville is located) there are 858 homeless people in Snohomish County.
Marysville, using the law and their social outreach program, has already assisted over 25% of those 858 people. That number exceeded both the mayor and the police chief’s expectations. Imagine that!
Also, the crime rate is down over 20% in Marysville.
Excerpts from the mayor’s interview via MyNorthwest.com:
“Help means an initial assessment, and then a drug detox, or a substance abuse detox,” Marysville Mayor Jon Nehring told KTTH’s Jason Rantz. “After that, a 30 to 60 day long term rehabilitation program. And then if they graduate from that, they move into transitional housing and job training, hopefully ultimately get a job, and be at least somewhat — if not fully — self-sufficient.
That approach stems from a zero-tolerance policy from Marysville police, enforced across the city.
“In Marysville, we don’t tolerate sleeping under bridges [or] illegal camping, [and] we discourage our citizens from giving to panhandlers — we encourage them to give to local charities instead,” Mayor Nehring said.
That way, rather than simply clearing homeless encampments only to see them pop up somewhere else, a concerted effort is being expended to get to the root of the issue. Take away the option to continue trespassing and committing crimes, argued Mayor Nehring, and you leave people with a simple choice.
“It’s a two-pronged approach,” he described. “You can take that option, which we would much prefer. If not, if you’re committing crimes, we’re going to take you to jail.”
This method is really so simple that one has to wonder why other progressive-run cities can’t implement the same strategy: enforce the law with a zero-tolerance policy and apply taxpayer dollars to treatment programs.
Yet we know that method would not allow for bureaucrats to continually demand more taxpayer dollars to “solve” their homeless crisis.
Listen to the whole interview here.
Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!