Gun control, Chicago style.
NBC Chicago: Nine people were killed and at least 12 others wounded in shootings across Chicago Wednesday, including an 11-year-old boy slain by accidental gunfire.
Wednesday was the deadliest day in the city in over a decade. It approaches the peak of 10 that occurred on July 5, 2003, according to the Chicago Tribune.
The latest homicide happened about 11:35 p.m. in the Austin neighborhood on the West Side.
- Dan Rance, 23, was outside about 11:35 p.m. in the 700 block of North Long when someone walked up and opened fire, Chicago Police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said. Rance, who lived in the same block, was shot in the chest and torso, and was taken to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park, where he was pronounced dead, authorities said.
- About two hours earlier, a 19-year-old man was killed in an Englewood shooting on the South Side. About 9:45 p.m., Jimmy Tripp was in the 800 block of West 68th Street when someone walked up and shot him several times before running off, authorities said. Tripp, who lived in the 7300 block of South Emerald, was dead at the scene, authorities said.
- Less than an hour earlier, a 60-year-old man was shot dead in South Shore. He was found dead shortly after 9 p.m. with a gunshot wound to the head in the hallway of a building in the 6800 block of South Merrill. A police source said the attack might have been narcotics-related.
- Late Wednesday afternoon, a 19-year-old man was killed and two others wounded in a Belmont Cragin neighborhood shooting on the Northwest Side. About 5:30 p.m., the three men got into a fight with another person who then pulled out a gun and started firing in the 5900 block of West Diversey, according to police.Daniel Guerra, 19, was shot in the neck and chest and taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, authorities said. Guerra lived in the 2100 block of North McVicker. A 23-year-old man shot in the back also was taken to Illinois Masonic in critical condition, and a 22-year-old shot in the hand was taken to Community First Medical Center. His condition stabilized, police said.
- Wednesday morning, three men were shot—one fatally— in another South Shore attack. Just after 9 a.m., they were standing outside in the 2600 block of East 74th Place when someone walked up and started shooting. Vuan Evans, 25, was taken to South Shore Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 9:40 a.m., authorities said. Evans was from the 3100 block of South Cheltenham Place. A 29-year-old man shot in the back was taken to Stroger Hospital. Police initially said he died but he was listed in critical condition early Thursday. A 50-year-old man was also shot and taken to Jackson Park Hospital. He was in good condition and expected to be released, police said.
- In the early morning hours, two men were slain in an Uptown neighborhood shooting on the North Side. It happened about 2:15 a.m. in the 5000 block of North Winthrop, where a 32-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said. A 34-year-old man died after being taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center. Both men, who had documented gang ties, suffered multiple gunshot wounds, police said.
- Wednesday’s first homicide happened about 12:20 a.m. in the East Garfield Park neighborhood on the West Side. A 25-year-old man was found dead in the 2700 block of West Lexington with gunshot wounds to the head, chest and groin. Police did not provide any other details on the shooting.
- Additionally, 11-year-old Antwone J. Price died after a family member accidentally shot him in the abdomen about 9 p.m. in the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood’s 7400 block of South St. Lawrence. The relative accused of shooting him is in police custody.
Read the rest here.
- 3 killed, 23 wounded in weekend shootings across Chicago
- Another typical weekend in Chicago: 4 killed, 29 wounded
- Same ‘ol, same ‘ol in Chicago: 2 killed, 25 wounded in weekend shootings
- Another typical Chicago weekend: 35 shot — 1 fatally — in gun violence
- Hey #blacklivesmatter and #gunsense crowd: More shootings in Chicago this past weekend
- Gun control, Chicago style: 3 dead, 31 wounded in weekend shootings
- Another deadly weekend in Chicago: 4 killed, 18 wounded in shootings
- The Chicago Way: Too many dead & shot, and father of 7-year-old victim is notorious gang member who won’t cooperate with law enforcement
- Another brutal weekend: 40 shot, 1 fatally, in Chicago gun violence